Anti Hunters May be harrassing Hunters or Game in NY!

mike rossi

That seems pretty stupid to be able to prosecute for harassment if they didnt intend to do something.

Airspace laws? really? interesting.

Same thing if you are baiting or in the zone of influence of baiting - you do not have to know the area you are hunting is baited or that 2,000 feet away or some undefined distance somebody has been feeding waterfowl - you are in violation.

Sure, why not - I think it is possible that airspace laws may apply - either over your home or over public land prohibiting motorized recreation. Did you know if your pellets, bullet, or arrow enters posted land that can be considered tresspassing if someone wants to push the issue?

However there is no question that this guy lifted several hundred migratory birds so he is in violation. It still wouldnt be acceptable, but if he flew along the opposite shoreline it would not have been as bad. However - he flew along a shore loaded with birds and then turned around and then purposely headed over a wetland holding many more birds - then he left in the direction he came from. At a bare minimum this guy was ignorant.

Yes. It happened to us. Duck hunting and someone called the police. We were legal, but the cop said, and I quote, "They're watching the birds. It's not a legal issue, it's a moral issue."

I still hunt that spot.

Do regular police have any jurisdiction in environmental conservation law? Who got there first and was it on a WMA?Bird watching, along with hunting, is one of the six "priority public uses" of Pitman - Robertson funded lands." It is ethical to let the first to arrive have the spot and stay far enough away from them not to interfere, whether it is another hunter or a bird watcher. The birders and other hunters as well as fisherman, should recipriocate, but sadly some of them do not. Sometimes even though I am set up for hours before someone else arrives, I just pull the decoys and move rather than argue with a jack ass...

I had a women who used to harass me when I chuck hunted. She would come out and walk the fields banging pots and pans and call the cop's on me a # of times. One day a trooper came out in the field to talk to me but he to was a chuck hunter and loved my 22-250 set up!! After about a hour of shooting the BS he walked up to the ladies house and gave her a ticket for harassment. I can still hear the BITCH screeming at that cop!! LOL She never bothered me again!!

• Like 2

last year during bow season I had a lady pull over and start yelling at me telling me to leave the deer alone. she then started to say I was on private property. I stated "that may be so however there are no Posted signs anywhere therefore making it ok for me to use". She caledl the police and I told her i would wait for them to file a complaint against her for harassment. 20 minutes later the police didnt come so I left. I was not hunting anywhere close to the road however I did shoot a 4 point and was in the process of tracking it and it ran close to the road so she seen me walking through.. The sad part of this story is I came back later on to continue tracking the blood trail and the blood trickled off and eventually stopped completly. I looked for another 1 1/2 for more blood and never picked up the trail again. The spot I go is a honey hole for doe but the only place to park is on the shoulder and I have seen people pull over and look into my SUV and circle around and watching. One guy got out of his truck and tried to open my door. During the winter months I can see through the trees to my car and this day while he tried to open my doors I pushed the panic button on my car setting off the alarm. He took off real quick. I am very hesistant to go to that spot. It depends on how desparate i am for a deer Ill go later in the season as a last resort

Edited by apoallo

I had a women who used to harass me when I chuck hunted. She would come out and walk the fields banging pots and pans and call the cop's on me a # of times. One day a trooper came out in the field to talk to me but he to was a chuck hunter and loved my 22-250 set up!! After about a hour of shooting the BS he walked up to the ladies house and gave her a ticket for harassment. I can still hear the BITCH screeming at that cop!! LOL She never bothered me again!!

That is effin' awesome!

Love it!!! Last year I had an old hag call the police on me for riding my ATV on a snowmobile only trail. (I didn't know) As I was riding she came running accross the lot giving me the NFL time out signal. I stopped, like a fool, and she went on about how I was polluting and making noise. She couldn't answere me when I asked her what the difference was between an ATV or snowmobile. I nicely told her to get stuffed. She pretty much ordered me to stay there until the police arrived LOL!! As I drove off she screamed about how she had my plate# and was calling the police to have me ticketed. The cops showed up at my house and we had a good laugh. Wish I was there when they went back to tell her that I wasn't ticketed. Old hag

Since it was asked, years ago when I was young, maybe 12, 13 years old and just of legal hunting age for small game. My father and I had permission to hunt a large farm, some hundreds of acres, and the only access to the area we were going to was to cross a field (owned by the farm) that was in view of several other nearby homes on small lots. We used the field to cross only, and respected the legal prohibitions and ethics of not hunting near other people's homes. We were turkey hunting and I had full camo on, facemask and all, and a woman came out and verbally harassed us all the way to the woodline. My dad told me to ignore her, but beyond that couldn't do much. The lady was one of my school teachers, and she didn't recognize me because of my camo getup. She screamed some pretty terrible things about us and I remember feeling very miserable about it for years. Not that it should matter, but I was a shy kid growing up, and it was hard being the only female hunter that I knew of (in my area). It really scared me at that age to have a teacher tell me that I was scum, and I never told anyone that I hunted after that until I was an adult, which is sort of a bummer because maybe I missed out on some of the comradarae that hunters have when growing up together.

That is a shame. Sorry you had to put up with that. But she was wrong. In a situation like that the key is to realize that you are in the right and to politely let the person know it and move on. The law is on your side. I realize that at the time you were just a kid, but if it comes up again just smile and tell the person that you would be happy to discuss the matter with him/her and the police. But keep smiling.

Since it was asked, years ago when I was young, maybe 12, 13 years old and just of legal hunting age for small game. My father and I had permission to hunt a large farm, some hundreds of acres, and the only access to the area we were going to was to cross a field (owned by the farm) that was in view of several other nearby homes on small lots. We used the field to cross only, and respected the legal prohibitions and ethics of not hunting near other people's homes. We were turkey hunting and I had full camo on, facemask and all, and a woman came out and verbally harassed us all the way to the woodline. My dad told me to ignore her, but beyond that couldn't do much. The lady was one of my school teachers, and she didn't recognize me because of my camo getup. She screamed some pretty terrible things about us and I remember feeling very miserable about it for years. Not that it should matter, but I was a shy kid growing up, and it was hard being the only female hunter that I knew of (in my area). It really scared me at that age to have a teacher tell me that I was scum, and I never told anyone that I hunted after that until I was an adult, which is sort of a bummer because maybe I missed out on some of the comradarae that hunters have when growing up together.

I bet if you took you face mask off while she was yelling she would have changed her tune real quick once her realized who she was yelling at
  • Like 1

Liberal teachers want you to expand your mind and learn, learn things they like or else you are wrong. I recently had a huge argument with a teacher because my Nephew got into trouble at school because he talked about shooting "Guns" and apparently you aren't supposed to talk about guns in school because educating a child about firearms is more dangerous than leaving a curious child? I work in law enforcement and so does much of my family as well as us being hunters. There might be a gun or two in our homes but I was raised with a family that educated us about firearms so there was never a problem. Some people rather stick their head in the sand. She's most likely teaching children how to be tolerant of others no matter what unless they hunt. Thank god I had great teachers growing up. I'm sorry you experienced this I hope you have made a few friends now.

• 2 weeks later...

Airspace.... Ok 2 years back in spring turkey I had a hot air ballon practising touch and go's by my turkey decoys. he'd come down to with in a few feet go back up repete.

I called a DEC officer who works my area on my cell. As far as ballons they can land anywhere as its out of their control and as far as being low over the land thats allowed too any craft.

Airspace.... Ok 2 years back in spring turkey I had a hot air ballon practising touch and go's by my turkey decoys. he'd come down to with in a few feet go back up repete.

I called a DEC officer who works my area on my cell. As far as ballons they can land anywhere as its out of their control and as far as being low over the land thats allowed too any craft.

OK, so whats the officers name, I will float a balloon over his driveway and car...

The FAA sets the laws for uncongested areas ,water open land, aircraft must be 500 feet above people and man made structures. As for ballons its a big issue with areas of lots of hot air ballon tours. Its gone to court more then once,with ballon folks winning .

Some land owners have gone as far as putting up tall "spite" polls (man made structure), they lost in court too.

I did contact the ballon owner,nice guy said he's stay away from our fields and offered to give me a free ride !

Edited by Larry302

Thats a good way to get shot. I heard someone close to me shooting then saw a guy pointing a gun at me that is asking for it in my book. I thought when I was young I was taught to never point a gun in another persons direction????

yeah actually i learned the same thing and i always practice it i was sorta joking around ya no..............

The FAA sets the laws for uncongested areas ,water open land, aircraft must be 500 feet above people and man made structures. As for ballons its a big issue with areas of lots of hot air ballon tours. Its gone to court more then once,with ballon folks winning .

Some land owners have gone as far as putting up tall "spite" polls (man made structure), they lost in court too.

I did contact the ballon owner,nice guy said he's stay away from our fields and offered to give me a free ride !

You are dealing with a wealthy and politically connected crowd when you take on pilots of any kind... Correct the FAA laws do not address the problem. However there are many other violations involved, including poaching violations. Your video camera is your best tool to combat this. If one branch of law enforcement is not interested, try another. As this illegal activity grows so will video documentation. At some point the authorities will be forced to enforce the pertinent laws. And there are clearly pertinent laws...