Fast Eddie's Fables --- 2012 Edition

fasteddie

There is still a lot of standing corn around and no reason for the deer to move much at all . They can just stay there all day .

This coming week is going to be un-seasonably warm so that doesn't help matters .

I have the guy from Safe-Lite Glass coming here tomorrow to repair a stone chip in my windshield which messes up my day . I may try a friend's property close to home in the afternoon .

Sat in a stand at a friend's property on furnace Road for 3 hours and never saw anything except for another hunter. I need to remove / repair that chain-on and get rid of the ladder . I('ll try to put a ladderstand in that location asap .

I was going to hunt with my 2 sons in Mendon tomorrow but rain is forecasted for a good part of the day . I don't want to drive 35 miles to get rained out .

View from the stand

I made the right decision not to drive to Mendon to hunt this am . It was raining when I got up . Cleaned up the garage a bit and plan to assemble a ladder stand to replace a chain-on at a neighbor's property .

I have some back straps marinading that we will have for an early dinner and then go to a grandson's volleyball game at Eastridge HS in Irondiquoit .

Went to the stand down the road and sat until 10 am . Never saw a thing . Shot a couple of test arrows before climbing down from the stand . Not sure what to do tomorrow as with the warm weather , I only hunt the morning .

Looks like some real crappy weather from Saturday through next Wednesday .

My youngest son took 2 shots this am . He said the 1st one was close , he panicked . The string hit his jacket and armguard and was a low shot . The 2nd one was a 40 yarder . I told him that if he doesn't practice at that distance or farther he shouldn't be taking the shot . Anyway that was low also . It would have made my day just to have seen the 2 bucks !

I'l try the same area tomorrow am that I was at today . I think the deer travel through every few days . Maybe i'll hit it lucky . Can't shoot them from the computer .

Sat in my Walworth ladder stand from 6:45 to 10 am . Same old crap . Didn't see a thing . Talked to the property owner at 10:30 . He said my stand is in the wrong place and told me where there are a couple of scrapes about 300 yards closer to his house . He said he has daytime pics of a 6 point in that area . Not sure whether to put up a chain-on or a ladder stand there ....... A tent blind wouldn't give me much of any visibility .

Ladder Stand Directions state to have the flat part of the foot platform facing the front . Probably so it won't obstruct a person climbing into the stand . I put mine on back asswards so the the curved side faces out and you have to climb over it . This gives me 3 - 4 extra inches of foot rest . The pic I am posting has the rest facing the opposite direction as the instructions state . It works for me .......

post-132-0-51059800-1351366826_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-41295700-1351366874_thumb.jpg

I set up one of my Yukon Prowler blinds at my friend's property in Walworth this afternoon . It looks better in person . I was planning on using the blind Saturday but my friend said his kids might be out duck hunting Saturday morning . It had rained enough where the swamp now has some water .

I bought 2 of the blinds earlier this year for something like $55 each at Sportsman's Guide .

post-132-0-51183800-1351818097_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-51335500-1351818112_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-50283900-1351818130_thumb.jpg

Damn damn damn ........ I was sitting in a box stand in Mendon this am . It would rain ( drizzle ) , then light snow flurries and then wind and stop . Then the sequence would start again . It was cold . I took along the military nylon sleeping bag cover and had it over my shoulders to keep me pretty dry . It worked quite well . My oldest son had seen a lot of activity in the location yesterday but I wasn't seeing anything just rain and snow .

I was staring straight ahead and moved my eyes rather than turn my head from side to side to eliminate movement . At 10:20 I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye . Foolishly , I snapped my head and saw that it was an 8 point buck . He had approached from behind and knew I was there . He stepped out into the field and walked along the edge and stopped directly in front of me at about 5 yards . I couldn't see him because there was burlap camo on the wire fence door . Only the front has any type of cover . The sides and back are open . I didn't think it would be a problem until today ! He continued along the edge of the field not offering a shot . I would have to stand up and have my bow on the other side of the rail to shoot .

I hit the grunt tube and got him to stop about 40+ yards away but he wouldn't come back . Live and learn . I left around noon after walking the field and checking a few things out .

Went back to Mendon to hunt with my youngest son . I took some camo burlap with me to fix the side of the box stand . Put out a scent wick and settled back into the stand . At 6:37 I spotted a deer crossing the adjacent field and he came from the direction of my son's stand . He came into my field about 125 yards away and I figured it was a buck by the way the head bobbed / bounced when it walked . The wind was from the NNW and he was headed SSE . 15 minutes later a doe went across the end of the field about 250 yards away . I figured it was going to be a great day . NOT ! I didn't see another deer .

My son texted me at 9 am to see if I had any activity as he had seen the same 2 deer . He said the buck passed within 10 yards of his stand and it looked to be a 5 point . Legal time wasn't until 6:51 am .

We had a bit of the Gropple snow which was wet . It was cccccccold . We decided to leave at 10 if nothing else showed up . I got down at 10 after taking a couple practice shots from the stand . Grabbed my arrows and scent wick and waited for my son . I walked over to his field and waited for him to meet me . He told me about the buck so it was the same one that I saw . As we started to walk up the hill I spotted something and pulled an arrow out of the ground . It was a 29" Beman ICS Hunter 400 with what looks like a slick trick broadhead .

Came home , cleaned up some leaves and trimmed a couple arbovites and then cleaned some of the gutters . I was wondering if some of the folks that drove by were thinking , what's that old fart doing up on his roof with a garden hose ! :fie:

Gotta work tomorrow . I'll be back out there Wednesday .

Another day out enjoying nature . I was in a ground blind in Walworth by 6:25 this am . I have 3 scrapes within 25 yards of the blind . Never saw a thing . I could hear dogs barking a few houses down the road and wondered if they scented deer and that the barking might send some deer my way but I guess it wasn't meant to be . It was cold out but I was reasonably comfortable except for my hands . At 10:30 I left as I had had enough ....................

Well , i'll give the Mendon spot a try again tomorrow . I wish I could get into my youngest son's stand but I wouldn't try it on a bet . Almost have to be a contortionist to get into it . I'm too old to try that ! No luck so far and I am tempted to put out one of those Buck Bombs .

Debated on whether or not to post this under BLUNDERS or here .

I was in my stand in Pittsford / Mendon by 6:15 this am . Put out 2 scent wicks and sprayed some Buck Bomb on them . At 7:05 an 8 point came down the trail that I had walked in on and went to the scrape . A tree blocked my view so I stood up with my bow ready for him to step into the field . He looked out in the field and started back the way he had come in but then headed to the north field on the other side of a hedge row . When he left the scrape he stood in a spot but offered no shot as there was thorn bushes , etc in the way . Later he went to the end of the other field and then across to the little gulley .

Saw 3 doe , another buck and a not sure way up the field .

Here is the BLUNDER ......I wanted to check the time so I pulled my phone out . It was locked and hard to unlock with my glove on my hand . I would be hitting 2 keys at a time . While I was monkeying around with the phone I glanced up another 8 point buck walked out between my 20 and 25 yard markers . I should have been paying attention . P.S. ---- it was 9:30am .

I wasn't able to get either buck to return by using the Grunt Tube or the Doe In Heat Can .

I wanted to boot myself in butt after that blunder but my legs are too short !

Sat in a stand in Mendon from 6:10 until 10:30 am . Initially it was foggy but cleared up . I was hungry as I had breakfast at 4 am so I was reaching in my pocket for a granola bar and looked uphill behind me . Saw some movement in the sumacs and continued to watch . Saw that it was a small doe . She appeared to have a slight limp but I couldn't see any blood and her legs looked intact . Anyway , she stood on the trail that I had walked down . The wind was from the SE so she may have scented me . She crossed the trail at least 50 yards up from me and was heading for the corn .

I plan to hunt the same area with my youngest son tomorrow am and then pull the stands late in the morning . Another guy , his wife and daughter gun hunt that area so we stay out of their way . We get bow - they get gun . It works .

Happy Veteran's Day fasteddie.

Thanks !

I hunted with my youngest son this am . I was setup and in my stand by 6:15 . Around 7:10 I had a buck approach my scent wick and then he veered off . He came back around walking real slow and I took a 25 yard shot that has been pretty much of a chip shot for me . My heart was pounding and I forget to hold my bow over the rail and I ticked it when I shot from the box stand . The arrow sailed just over the buck's back . I made a stupid mistake and it cost me . I guess it just wasn't meant to be . BUMMER !

I shot 2 practice arrows before leaving the stand so the miss was all me not the bow or anything else .

I never saw any doe but did see 4 bucks counting the one my son shot . So , it turned out to be a good day after all . Got the deer field dressed and we removed one of our ladder stands that we are no longer using .

With the warm temperature , we weren't sure how much deer movement there would be . Where the heck were the does . Probably staying out in the corn .