Fast Eddie's Fables --- 2012 Edition

fasteddie

Forgot to mention that I took 490 East out of Pittsford . A ways before exit 26 I noticed something laying relaxed about 60 yards off the road on some pristine lawn . It looked lifelike and it was . It was at least a 10 point buck . I was tempted to get off at exit 26 , go back to 27 and come around again just to get a picture . What a beautiful deer and he was safe . His location had to be around Bending Drive or Weyburn Way .

Another exciting day in the great outdoors . It was a bit nippy this am but other than that the weather wasn't bad . Saw 4 bucks and 1 doe . Nothing close enough to shoot at . Saw a bushy spot shaking like heck and with the binos I could see it was an 8 point buck . What a wuss ! Thought he should be rubbing something bigger . My son and I took a walk over there when we were done and the area was tore up pretty good .

A red fox had come into the field while we were hunting . It was fun to watch him mousing .

I believe I am through bow hunting for the season . Gotta get ready for the Saturday Gun Season opener . We will be hunting the Geneseo area .

Something I forgot to mention ...... There is a corn field about 500 yards north of our stands . On at least 4 different days I heard a Pheasant . Pheasants are few and far between so it was neat to know that some still exist . I havn't seen one in at least 2 years and I do spend a bit of time out in nature .

There used to be a cock pheasant on my SIL's property that I would see each season but he either moved on or got shot . They are beautiful birds .

I put away the camo , got out the blaze orange and rearranged what I have in the backpack . Got out a couple boxes of rifled slugs . Now I need to hook up the trailer , load the ATV and I will be pretty much set to leave at 4 am to pick up my son in Honeoye Falls and head for Geneseo .

Stopped off at Dicks and purchased a Bushnell 7-15 zoom binos and bought one of the Thermos "The Rock" ..........

Be safe out there everyone !

It was cold in Geneseo today . I was in the stand by 6:15 . Had to take my time as the ground was crunchy . Heard the 1st shots just before 6:30 and there was quite a bit of shooting but not from me . I saw a few deer scamper during the fracus but too far away to shoot . I could have made some money if I walked around selling shotgun slugs .

My son and I went to the car at noon and grabbed a couple sandwiches . There was a small doe ( probably a fawn ) about 50 yards from the stand I had been in . I wouldn't have shot it anyway .

We both went to different stands after lunch . I saw a couple more deer . My son went down to the woods and saw a couple bucks , a doe and several turkeys . Even though we didn't get anything , it was an okay day . I left my ATV and trailer down at my sister in laws . I had gotten 15.6 mpg hauling the atv and got 26.4 on the return trip without it .

I will probably go back to Geneseo Monday but might just do the afternoon hunt .

I almost got a buck today . On my way home 590 was slow so I got off at Blossom Road and took Atlantic Ave to Lincoln Road in Walworth . My phone was on the passenger seat and I heard it buzz . I glanced at it and caught something out of the corner of my eye . A buck had stepped into the road . I stood on the brakes and the car slid a bit and he took off . Missed that sucker by a few feet . I was about 1/4 mile north of Atlantic . Scared the crap out of me .

I was in my old stand in the woods by 12:30 and sat there until 4 pm . All I saw was squirrels . I was about 1/2 mile from my car so I headed back as sunset was at 4:44 pm today . I got up to where the trail was to the stand that I used opening day am and 2 doe took of hauling butt . They were about 40 yards from the stand . I watched they run through the thickets and across the neighbor's pasture lot . I looked through the binos and saw 2 other deer that had come from the East woods . Sat out until 4:40 and called it quits for the day .

Added note ---- I had my hunting trousers in the garage overnight and they were cold . I emptied the pockets and threw them in the dryer . That made them toasty warm !

Sat in a treestand in Geneseo for 4 hours yesterday and never saw a thing . I set up a tent blind to use sometime when I am down there at a later date . There were some light sprinkles but no major showers .

My SIL called me today and asked if I minded if she let her neighbor hunt the property this afternoon . I told her that I appreciated her asking me but that it was her property to do her choosing . Anyway she told the guy that he was not to hunt the gulley ( close to the barn ) or her pasture lots ( as her horses were out ) . She found out that he planned to take a few of his friends along to do a drive and she told him he could hunt her property but not to take anyone else along . This didn't make him happy .

My SIL allowed another neighbor to hunt the property but he was supposed to let her know when he would be out there . The next thing she knew his brothers and 2 nephews were trapsing all over her property . When she told them to leave , they gave her a bunch of crap and said " she was asking for trouble " .......

Going to hunt that property tomorrow with my youngest son . We don't ever hunt the property without making sure it's okay and let her know when we would be there .

Good luck hunting and good luck to your sil.

When someone with a gun says,"your asking for trouble." That comes real close to menacing or harrassment, me I'd be making a phone call to a friend to at least have him interviewed and get a paper trail started .

• Like 1

Missed a doe today . Took about 140 yard shot at a standing doe and hit nothing but air as far as I could tell . Around 9:30 I had 2 doe come in from behind me and trotting . They stopped about 70 yards out . I couldn't get a clear sight picture and didn't shoot . About 15 minutes later 4 doe came across the back of the woods and I figured they were out of range but I wanted to shoot the ml so I cranked off a shot . They hauled butt , crossed the ditch and were long gone . Checked all around where she was standing and where they crossed . No blood .

I called my son around 10:45 and told him I was going to walk slow through the thickets and might push something to him . There are numerous trails across this area but too thick to set anything up to hunt from . Anyway he said a small racked buck came out of that area about 100 yards to his right but he couldn't get a clear view as the treestand is set up in a Willow Tree and too many limbs hanging in the way . The tree stand was set up for bow hunting to shoot to the north and west . My son got a large doe from that stand last season during gun season .

It started snowing some of the wet stuff and we called it a day .

Tomorrow I hope to go to the range and check out my in-line to see if the scope is still adjusted or if I just blew the shot .

I am convinced that it was totally myself that caused the miss on the doe Sunday . I went over to the range today and fired 6 shots . My shots were on the money as far as left / right goes . At 50 yards I was 2 1/2" to 3" high which is where I want to be hitting . That should make me good out to 100 yards but I don't know about 140 yards like Sunday's shot .

I would like to have sighted in on the 100 yard range but there were shooters there and reloading , cleaning , etc is a bit time consuming and I didn't want to get rushed . Hopefully I will get another shot Wednesday when I hunt with my youngest son again .

Gave the Huntsman a good cleaning when I got home . I wonder if I should take a foul shot before hunting ..............

Another bummer of a day . I left my bowhunting to my son and headed to the woods . Never saw a thing down there . I was in the stand by 6:30 . It's not quite a mile walk .

At 8:45 I heard a shot . My son said a doe had snuck in behind him and he had to stand up and turn around in the ladder stand . He said he hit her in the leg so I told him to wait and see if she might lay down and stiffen up in case he caught more than the leg . He waited an hour and she had laid down in the lane-way but got up and booked as soon as she saw him .

I had him get back in his stand and said I would drive the thickets to possibly push something to him . When I came into view he got down and pointed to the far end of the field about 500 yards away . There were 2 doe up there . They crossed the field and looked back . Nick said that 3 deer hauled butt out of the thick stuff and ran up to the far corner and apparently the 2 I saw were looking for the third one .

We went up to our vehicles , got something to eat and went back to the stands . Around 3 pm , I got down and we double checked the area for the doe that was hit in the am . Nothing ! At 4:30 we called it quits for the day .

I brought his gun home with some of his slugs to check it out at the range . I know everyone has a different sight picture but I would like to know how far out of whack the gun is actually shooting .

I'll probably go back Friday . I need to give my back a rest !