50 yards

JonathanStrange

JFB, You came on this site after being away for "years" and your very first post started with a bitch about the site, (which is not the same site) the moderators(non of which i have ever met in my life) and the members themselves. You clearly had something to get off you chest and when it looked really whiney, you were made aware of it. Had you simply stated your experiences on the subject, i may very well have agreed with the context of it and may have even liked it myself, but you didn't. Bottom line is you have to have a sence of humor for God's sake. And as i have found a few times myself, you have to be man enough to take it on the chin when you really step in it. Being able to step back and say to yourself. "maybe that was the wrong thing for me to say" is not a bad thing on a forum. Being able to debate and then think about others points of veiw and maybe even have your mind changed by other opinions is not a bad thing. So go if you must, or stay if you want. You clearly have some knowledge that could be very useful to many on here, but don't whine about the bickering when you clearly started the rant.

• Like 1

Not to mention you hijacked a perfectly good discussion on long range shooting. Though I tend to agree with your opinion about long range shots, Attacking people because you cant handle other peoples opinions is kind of silly for a forum. If you dont like what some people say then block them or dont reply. Just because some one replys to your post doesnt mean you have to answer them.

So back to the original post. Poster asked if it was ok to take long shots in low light. After a little research I tend to say no. It is more than difficult enough in good light under ideal conditions, Which some have shown on this site they are capable of doing. I would say if you can consitatnly hit a 5 in circle with broadheads, under field conditions, in low light, than you probably have a 60% chance of killing the deer.

Yeah, back to the topic ... lol

A deer average walking speed is 3.5 mph - 4 mph. If a deer takes a step or two while feeding, that is likely its forward speed. If you assume that to be the speed that he moves, that is 61.6 inches per second. If you shoot a 50 yard distance with a super fast bow that is much faster than almost all of the hunting bows in common use (I used 400 FPS), the arrow over that 50 yards will be in the air 0.375 seconds. And that assumes no deceleration during flight (for calculation simplicity). So over that 0.375 seconds, if the deer takes a step or two at time of release, the deer will have moved 23.1 inches by the time the perfectly shot arrow gets there.

So add that one more little factor to the many other errors already mentioned, that are magnified as shot distances grow.

Look, I am not saying what other people should or shouldn't do in terms of shot selection. I only know that the list of variables in long shots are many and they all seem to grow significantly as the distance grows. So that simply is the reason why I treat the bow as a short-range weapon and limit my shots severely from my personal capabilities. I can control my own abilities, but there is no way I can control what the deer does.

Everybody has to make their own choices. I am simply conveying thoughts as to some of the variables that occur to me, and why I voluntarily limit my shooting distances. I'm sorry if that caused someone to lose their mind, but these things are my own opinions which I believe is what internet forums are mostly all about.

• Like 1

You spent way too much time calculating that info. Probably could have shot a deer instead in that time.

That's all I'm saying.

Some do...and some can't. No wrong or right for everyone.

Edited by phade

I hear exactly what you guys are saying and I agree 100%. The thing that may not be realized here is that the very reason I jumped in was because many of you were doing the exact thing that you now accuse me of. Before I posted, people even asked if the unproductive conversation could just be dropped... but it didn't and I made you aware of what was occurring.

I think the most recent posts have taken a much more productive and informative tone so perhaps all our anguish did something productive. Shoot straight.

You spent way too much time calculating that info. Probably could have shot a deer instead in that time.

That's all I'm saying.

Some do...and some can't. No wrong or right for everyone.

Actually that was done in less than a minute using an Excel spreadsheet that I designed 8 years ago. So calculation time was instantaneous.

The required inputs are:

Deer speed (fps)

Walking =3.5 - 4 (I used 3.5)

Running =35 - 40

Arrow speed (fps)

Distance

I am not trying to convey right or wrong. Just providing info for educated decisions.

No, he's talking about me. Bubba is one of these creepy kinds that kind of gets involved with following everything I say on here and just randomly lashing out for no particular reason. It's just a mental thing with him and he can't help himself. I pretty much try to ignore him but he does get super obnoxious every so often .... lol. Now he feels it necessary to call me a liar without having a single reason. But then, that's just Bubba.

I am simply pointing out the obvious block me and you will never see anything I post if you really want to ignore me. The real truth is I have made you look like a fool way too many times for you to ignore. Well you make yourself look like a fool. I simply point it out.

yeah as usual you say it is like clock work I ask for the date you run away. And you wonder why I call you a liar. Seems pretty obvious as usual. Either show the data or retract you statement. You seem to be a data guy. Oh this data would have to be real I forgot. Oops caught in your stupidity again.