Beautiful Staten Island Buck

damore81

I always get nervous about posting picts of really nice bucks on the island. Too easy to guess where they are, and too many people who wouldn't think twice about poaching them. From that video, I know exactly where it was taken.

I just put up a pict of an 8 with a huge body from SI here -> http://huntingny.com...5-big-ole-buck/

Edited by Sogaard

I always get nervous about posting picts of really nice bucks on the island. Too easy to guess where they are, and too many people who wouldn't think twice about poaching them. From that video, I know exactly where it was taken.

I just put up a pict of an 8 with a huge body from SI here -> http://huntingny.com...5-big-ole-buck/

I hear ya. I am just amazed how there is nothing really nutrional for these deer to eat yet they can still get to these sizes.

This just proves wrong to all those that feel supplemental feeding is necessary to grow big racks

The necessity for growing big racks is age. BUT, with an above average diet the higher end of their genetic potential could be realized. If that buck had a better diet (either from plots of from living in AG land) the upside of the horns would probably be higher.

Depends on what the availability of browse is for the deer. Those deer could be getting plenty of nutrition from lawns, hedges, bushes, flowers, etc that are part of peoples landscaping, etc. Add to that the natural browse that was mentioned, and theres plenty for a smallish population to thrive on, especially in areas where they dont get hunted.

The necessity for growing big racks is age. BUT, with an above average diet the higher end of their genetic potential could be realized. If that buck had a better diet (either from plots of from living in AG land) the upside of the horns would probably be higher.

Agreed. If that buck had a better diet he would be a monster but for the area that this buck is living which is the side of a highway with mostly weeds, garbage, the occasional acorn and petunias from peoples yards he is certainly by those standards a huge buck. Where I hunt upstate we have a few corn/clover fields, plenty of acorns and unlimited hay fields but I have never seen a buck of this size mainly due to hunting pressure and coyotes. To me it is more impressive seeing a buck of that size knowing he did not have ideal nutrition compared to a buck I know that has been eating out of food plots all day.

P.S. This is not a bash on food plots. I do not plant food plots however I credit those that do spend the time to do so.

I am from upstate New York and most of our deer are green up here!

How big is Staten Island? I was there once when I got on the wrong boat and wanted to go to the Statue of Liberty.

staten island is not big at all about 102 sq miles. 14 miles long by 7 wide.

Bummer they should let you residents qualify and get in a lottery.

The problem is that there really is no land to hunt. The wood lots that these deer are living in are surrounded by mostly busy streets and nieghborhoods and there is no large continuous tracts of land so I guess the fear is that most bow kills end with a bit of a chase and they dont want a deer gushing blood into someones backyard or busy street. The largest tracts of land are the old landfill areas which is now being converted into a city park with nature trails and ball fields.

Nice video and Buck!..I always look for deer when I cruise by that area of S.I. usually see Does. There is alot of sea salt in those marshes that aid in growing some nice racks.

I never thought about the mineral supplementation from the sea salt that could be fulfilling nutrition. Good point!