early ml season

bubba

Today is the last day of early ml season here in the north. I have divided time between hunting and working on my property/home to get it ready for winter. One of the benefits of having a camp only 15 miles from home. I passed up two young bucks and two young does. I also passed on a decent doe yesterday due the proximity to the neighbors property and the possibility of the deer crossing over if I shoot it. I have always had a pretty good relationship with the neighbor who owns a farm. Anyway he leased his property to a bunch of idiots. I have chased two of them off my land twice this week. They were promised next time there will be law involved and I will arraign them on the spot and send them to jail. I can not do that, but they do not know that. Anyway, the neighbor stopped me Tuesday and asked what the problem was. I explained him his leasees are hunting all the property but his. Well the funny part I got accused of wanting all the land to myself. I chuckled and said well that is why I own it. This summer he posted and clearly marked his property, and I have never been on it other than to go to his house to talk to him. I have not posted mine, but I guess next year I will. I also in as nice a way as I can maintain told him with the boundaries he put up, he surely should be able to explain to the guys where the boundary was. Well he got upset and told me if anything crosses over to his land, not to expect permission to go retrieve it. I have the swamp and bedding area, he has a corn and alfalfa field that border my property. The deer go across my property to his fields to feed and then return. I have always honored it and never put up a stand inside 100 yards of the line. Well I see I am rambling, but these guys think it should be ok to put stands 50 to 75 yards on my side to watch the field. Funny part is if they asked me I would have let them set up on the edge on my side rather than be exposed in the field or setting up on the other side shooting toward my property. Now all they have accomplished is to cause hard feelings with my neighbor and I. I asked him to lease me the property next year, to avoid the hassles. I would gladly pay the 2500 bucks just to keep the fools out of there. Plus it would add to my 450 acres now. It becomes pretty ridiculous when you feel like you cant legally hunt your own property due to some fools who think they are entitled to my land too. Anyway I am off to camp to hunt the rest of today then regular season starts tomorrow. Good luck to all. I will be glad when the frost hits my sugar beets and the deer

Today is the last day of early ml season here in the north. I have divided time between hunting and working on my property/home to get it ready for winter. One of the benefits of having a camp only 15 miles from home. I passed up two young bucks and two young does. I also passed on a decent doe yesterday due the proximity to the neighbors property and the possibility of the deer crossing over if I shoot it. I have always had a pretty good relationship with the neighbor who owns a farm. Anyway he leased his property to a bunch of idiots. I have chased two of them off my land twice this week. They were promised next time there will be law involved and I will arraign them on the spot and send them to jail. I can not do that, but they do not know that. Anyway, the neighbor stopped me Tuesday and asked what the problem was. I explained him his leasees are hunting all the property but his. Well the funny part I got accused of wanting all the land to myself. I chuckled and said well that is why I own it. This summer he posted and clearly marked his property, and I have never been on it other than to go to his house to talk to him. I have not posted mine, but I guess next year I will. I also in as nice a way as I can maintain told him with the boundaries he put up, he surely should be able to explain to the guys where the boundary was. Well he got upset and told me if anything crosses over to his land, not to expect permission to go retrieve it. I have the swamp and bedding area, he has a corn and alfalfa field that border my property. The deer go across my property to his fields to feed and then return. I have always honored it and never put up a stand inside 100 yards of the line. Well I see I am rambling, but these guys think it should be ok to put stands 50 to 75 yards on my side to watch the field. Funny part is if they asked me I would have let them set up on the edge on my side rather than be exposed in the field or setting up on the other side shooting toward my property. Now all they have accomplished is to cause hard feelings with my neighbor and I. I asked him to lease me the property next year, to avoid the hassles. I would gladly pay the 2500 bucks just to keep the fools out of there. Plus it would add to my 450 acres now. It becomes pretty ridiculous when you feel like you cant legally hunt your own property due to some fools who think they are entitled to my land too. Anyway I am off to camp to hunt the rest of today then regular season starts tomorrow. Good luck to all. I will be glad when the frost hits my sugar beets and the deer

What did he say to your proposal?

That sucks bubba. You tried to do the right thing and still face idiocy. I always think that owning your own land to hunt would end all of stress about worrying if someone else will be where I wan to piston public land. It sounds like private land owners have just as many, if not mor, headaches...plus the cost! I ain't right.

I would set up to hunt near where they cross your land to his

I am close enough now, but if one crosses the property line after I shoot it, I can not go get it. As far as my proposal he stated I did not need all the hunting land around me. To make it better today at 7:45 am he started shooting his rifle in the corn field as he was "sighting in." Shooting the length of the corn field mind you. This was still going on at 2PM off and on. Managed to screw up the days hunt. Oops almost forgot last evening at 5:15 PM pr so, he was out there spreading manure in the corn field.

Edited by bubba

nope. i don't. I actually have 250 acres and a neighbors property of 200 more. But I am looking at different parts of the property to hunt> If he decided to lease me his, I would post all three properties. I doubt that will happen though.

Edited by bubba

250 of your own and another 200 of your neighbors? Nice spread. Too bad those guys have to be that close, why not post it and be done with it? At the very least, post your 250 or is there another problem?

I guess I'm not really surprised your having trouble. Good luck.

250 of your own and another 200 of your neighbors? Nice spread. Too bad those guys have to be that close, why not post it and be done with it? At the very least, post your 250 or is there another problem?

I guess I'm not really surprised your having trouble. Good luck.

why are you not surprised because new people leased the land and made sure they posted and made clear the boundaries, and they do not want to stay on their own side of the boundary? Please explain. They made the boundaries clear, so I have no need to.

I am close enough now, but if one crosses the property line after I shoot it, I can not go get it. As far as my proposal he stated I did not need all the hunting land around me. To make it better today at 7:45 am he started shooting his rifle in the corn field as he was "sighting in." Shooting the length of the corn field mind you. This was still going on at 2PM off and on. Managed to screw up the days hunt. Oops almost forgot last evening at 5:15 PM pr so, he was out there spreading manure in the corn field.

why cant you go get it? isnt that a law that you can? they arent dec. go get your deer, and if youre that intimidated, call the calvalry. you will get your deer.

why are you not surprised because new people leased the land and made sure they posted and made clear the boundaries, and they do not want to stay on their own side of the boundary? Please explain. They made the boundaries clear, so I have no need to.

Sounds like you do have a need now. Need help? I'll bring a staple gun and a shitload of staples. <grin>

You bring the signs & coffee. We'll go Dutch at Subway for lunch.

never heard of such a thing. if was to shhot a deer, it went to my idiot neihbors yard, it dont matter if they give you permission, dec will take care of it.

There is no right to retrieve law in NY.

If the owner says no, then you can't go even with the DEC.

Landowners rights prevail in NY.

btw, i remember from hunter safety...... thatwas 21 years ago. no average person can tell you that you cant recover your deer, except the guys in green with a sidearm and a badge.

You are not allowed to trespass, even to recover deer. If the owner of the land has a deer tag, that deer will now belong to the land owner, not the person that shot it. If there is no tag, then the deer must be returned to the shooter.

This is DEC law.

You are not allowed to trespass, even to recover deer. If the owner of the land has a deer tag, that deer will now belong to the land owner, not the person that shot it. If there is no tag, then the deer must be returned to the shooter.

This is DEC law.

here we go again but that is not actually the law. The land owner has no right to tag that deer as he did not hunt the deer. He would be tagging a deer he basically found. The dec will go talk to the land owner and TRY to persuade him or her to let you go get the deer with them. If the land owner says no, the dec will get the deer and take it, or let it go to waste. There is nothing in the law that states the deer has to be returned to the shooter. Now this part is not the law, just a suggestion, but I would ask the landowner before it happened not after. But keep in mind any land owner can say yes today and rescind that permission tomorrow.

Edited by bubba

Bubba... saying anything intelligent to you ....has been a waste of good breath...so the answer is no...just thinking back on some posts.....hhhmmm...by the way is more of a sigh for me than a throat clearing...just to clear that up for you...auughhhummm...would be me clearing my throat...Thanks for inquiring though :D

so I guess I was right, you had and still have nothing intelligent to say? Seems with all the drama you seem to have, you would have the perfect solution for this situation. Maybe you and your buddy can google it and find out.

Your a waste of time Bubba...I'm not the one in a fight with my neighbors...when there is a problem I address it and usually come out with an apology and retrieval rights...but then again I can converse in a civilized manner with ppl that act civilized...You should try it some time

Oh and let this be a large note....I simple said hhmmm to your post...and your idea of intelligent conversation was this reply....

do you have something intelligent to say or just clearing your throat? Must be clearing your throat as the second part is highly unlikely doc oops I mean grow.

your a class act you are...