Interpretation of hunting hours

sampotter

Well, the last thing I want to do is to get into an argument here, but I just need to get this out. I have worked with ECOs in region 9 in the past and I will tell you that some of them have more common sense than that. Try not to paint with too big of a brush, there, unless you know all of NYS's ECOs personally...

That's all I've got to say about it.

And the same could be said in return. You worked with some in region 9 and you are speaking on behalf of them all? Try not to paint with too big of a brush yourself lmao. Please do tell me what common sense says when someone is carrying a loaded weapon after dark while deer hunting actually means then. Again I could give a rats ass about coyote or any furbear hunting because honestly how many set themselves up to coyote hunt in the dark after hunting big game. I know of none myself. Well except a couple that claim on a website they do lol.

And the same could be said in return. You worked with some in region 9 and you are speaking on behalf of them all? Try not to paint with too big of a brush yourself lmao. Please do tell me what common sense says when someone is carrying a loaded weapon after dark while deer hunting actually means then. Again I could give a rats ass about coyote or any furbear hunting because honestly how many set themselves up to coyote hunt in the dark after hunting big game. I know of none myself. Well except a couple that claim on a website they do lol.

Well rifle starts in northern zone tomorrow. According to sunrise/sunset calendar, sunrise is at 0720 where I hunt. If one were to shoot a coyote at 0710, how would it be illegal? BTW, as we all no it would be light enough to shoot at 0710, so no "special" coyote hunting equipment would be required.

• Like 1

Holy moley what part is not understood? I said I could give a rats ass about coyote hunting. I am big game hunting period. The topic does not say interpretation of coyote hunting hours under the DEER HUNTING section of this forum or does it? WTH I give up I guess Im just not smart enough to understand that this is a topic of Interpretation of hunting hours in the Deer hunting section. You guys and gals have fun with it.

Edited by WNYBuckHunter

Wds you are missing the point here. Noone said its legal to hunt deer after sunset, just that its perfectly legal to have a loaded weapon after dark.

True.. but you might want to have some coyote hunting paraphernalia on you or some coon dogs as well during deer season.. otherwise you will have to answer quite a few questions if approached by an EnCon officer

Right man, I hear you. Each officer is a bit different, and some probably do have a chip on their shoulder. They may have to deal with lot more BS from hunters in more populated areas and have less tolerence. All I was saying was that unless you know any officers, telling me how they view the law is sort of a moot point. Telling me how you view the law is okay and part of our discussion.

I just emailed a Econ officer i know these questions.

I have not heard the disable your bow part since my bow class in the '80's, thought it went away,we'll see. I put my release over the strings ,this keeps it with the bow but also disables it I guess .

I have lost a few releases over the years in the woods. It's the first thing I put on after getting out of my car and the last thing I take off after getting back to my car. If you have your arrows in the quiver than your bow is not loaded just like if you have your ammo from your gun in your pocket your gun is not loaded!! Plain and simple!!! You need no lock on your string if that were so than you would need a trigger lock on your gun!!! BS on that one Bubba!!!

True.. but you might want to have some coyote hunting paraphernalia on you or some coon dogs as well during deer season.. otherwise you will have to answer quite a few questions if approached by an EnCon officer

I always have my coyote hunting paraphernalia with me while I'm deer hunting. It's a 270 WSM.

1...not everyone uses a wrist strap release

2. not everyone uses commercial calls

3. there are no set rules on how to hunt yotes...or raccoon as far as calling or use/not of dogs

4. there are more than I care to see of NYS hunters that don't know or perhaps understand NYS hunting regulations

Wds you are missing the point here. Noone said its legal to hunt deer after sunset, just that its perfectly legal to have a loaded weapon after dark.

Im not missing that point at all. Im trying to explain to you that if you are a deer hunter coming out of the woods in the dark and you have a loaded weapon, a primer in your ML or a release on your wrist, you are taking the chance of getting a ticket for INTENT of hunting deer after dark. The coyote thing is just not feasable unless you are setup to be coyote hunting after dark. Lets face some points, how many people coyote hunt while walking in the woods with a little flashlight in the dark? How many can actually fire a weapon in the dark and expect to hit a target or see what the hell they are shooting at, how many kno what is behind the target if they actually can see it to begin with? Thats the point. And a point made to me by 2 different ENCON Officers on 2 different occasions. You can look back to what I have read and also see I never said its illegal to carry a loaded weapon after dark, but using the excuse that Im coyote hunting in the dark with no projected light source to see the coyote while ummm yeah still hunting coyotes back to your vehicle seem like a pheasable answer for ENCON? And if you were to have a light mounted on your gun to project a light source at a coyote you might want to consider what you tell the officer if you see one. Cause it is illegal to deer hunt with a projected light source on your gun and if you say you where deer hunting and kept the gun loaded to come out of the woods in fear of some coyotes hunting you down in the dark you might get laughed at along with another ticket. And due take notice I never once have said"while sitting in your stand at 7:10 am or at sunset I said DARK.

Right man, I hear you. Each officer is a bit different, and some probably do have a chip on their shoulder. They may have to deal with lot more BS from hunters in more populated areas and have less tolerence. All I was saying was that unless you know any officers, telling me how they view the law is sort of a moot point. Telling me how you view the law is okay and part of our discussion.

Yes indeed I do, I have a family member who is one, I have a nephew going to college to become one and I know 2 personally, I can walk behind my house and see half a dozen of them on any given day during salmon season. There is a DEC station a few miles down the road from me where they bring in many extra officers to patrol this area and its where they stay. I see them daily, I talk with them often. I have been stopped and checked for license many, many times. Its just natural for the area I live in. I also grew up around them in the fish hatchery while playing, helping, and trapping that area up till I was 18. And chip may be a good point as these guys spend alot of time on there feet chasing yahoos around from all over the country and Im sure it just puts them on edge. I have tried to make my point and a point made that was directly told to me by law enforcement. These guys have seen it all, heard every excuse and are pretty wise to whats bull and what isnt. Im headed to camp I will rant with you guys in a couple weeks geeeeeesh.

Edited by WNYBuckHunter

My headlamp is coyote equipment enough. Yes, I use it when Im coyote hunting whether I was deer hunting earlier or not. Dont need a manufactured call to lip squeak them in.

Besides, theres no law agains a loaded gun after dark, they have to prove you were hunting deer.

Im not missing that point at all. Im trying to explain to you that if you are a deer hunter coming out of the woods in the dark and you have a loaded weapon, a primer in your ML or a release on your wrist, you are taking the chance of getting a ticket for INTENT of hunting deer after dark. The coyote thing is just not feasable unless you are setup to be coyote hunting after dark. Lets face some points, how many people coyote hunt while walking in the woods with a little flashlight in the dark? How many can actually fire a weapon in the dark and expect to hit a target or see what the hell they are shooting at, how many kno what is behind the target if they actually can see it to begin with? Thats the point. And a point made to me by 2 different ENCON Officers on 2 different occasions. You can look back to what I have read and also see I never said its illegal to carry a loaded weapon after dark, but using the excuse that Im coyote hunting in the dark with no projected light source to see the coyote while ummm yeah still hunting coyotes back to your vehicle seem like a pheasable answer for ENCON? And if you were to have a light mounted on your gun to project a light source at a coyote you might want to consider what you tell the officer if you see one. Cause it is illegal to deer hunt with a projected light source on your gun and if you say you where deer hunting and kept the gun loaded to come out of the woods in fear of some coyotes hunting you down in the dark you might get laughed at along with another ticket. And due take notice I never once have said"while sitting in your stand at 7:10 am or at sunset I said DARK.

Wds, Im really not going to argue coyote tactics and equipment with you. I dont always go hunting strictly for anything, if a yote comes in, most times Ill shoot it, if a turkey came in and it was open season, its getting shot. Sorry, but you have it wrong on this one my friend.

There is no reason to re-write game laws that have been in place and have worked for many years. The ENCON officers need to stop making assumptions about "intent", they need to stop abusing their authority. I was once told by a DEC officer that i could either plead guilty and pay my fine or plead not guilty and get a lawyer to fight my case. They realize that it is cheaper and easier for us to pay our fines than to fight them.....By the way I met the court justice who handled my case the following weekend while in the woods hunting....He apoligized for issuing the fine. He said he knew the DEC had a bogus case but if he does not hand out the fines he gets complaints from the DEC.

The fine was for hunting over bait and salt on leased land. We had tresspassig issues and had no idea this stuff was there. This was opening morning. Apparantly, some tresspassers were planning on hunting during the week as we were pretty much weekend warriors at the time.

The ENCON officers need to stop making assumptions about "intent", they need to stop abusing their authority. I was once told by a DEC officer that i could either plead guilty and pay my fine or plead not guilty and get a lawyer to fight my case. They realize that it is cheaper and easier for us to pay our fines than to fight them.....By the way I met the court justice who handled my case the following weekend while in the woods hunting....He apoligized for issuing the fine. He said he knew the DEC had a bogus case but if he does not hand out the fines he gets complaints from the DEC.

That's it in a nut shell....something I alluded to in the beginning of this....$$$$...Not enough hunters willing to say hey....I do know the law and I will fight this and not just in court.... NOW give ME all YOUR information and the name of YOUR superior officer for I'll need this when I climb over both your heads...We've turned into a society of lambs....

PS..been there....done that

I can say the same thing WNY. Im am not wrong. First off saying you are deer hunting after dark only if you shoot a deer is foolish, how any times do you just go sit in a tree stand and arent realy hunting because you didnt shoot a deer lol. Second I think I will stand by my statements as told to me by the men and women who enforce game laws and not a bunch ot people trying to dabble in the GREY areas on a keyboard. I can certainly admit when Im proved wrong and appologize but none of you have made a statement that over rides what DEC otricers have said when I was checked for on this very same topic.

Ya well remember the bear baiting post....where I personally talked to then phoned several ECO with the exact same question...I got a definite NO...then a I don't know...a maybe and one poor Sargent out West heading out the door for an Elk hunt...They didn't know their boss was on vacation...and he gave me a straight detailed answer

please!

Living in Long Island and working and doing business in NYC I can tell you that most law enforcement agents have the same mentality that I posted earlier. They issue summonses that they are either unsure of or they know are unwarranted. In the long run it is cheaper and not worth the cost of losing a days pay to fight tickets and summonses even though we know we can beat them.

The dabbling in grey areas is being done by the ENCON officers.

If I'm in the woods at 4am in my tree stand loaded and waiting for sunrise while deer hunting is that against the law? I have no intent of shooting before legal sunrise but am trying to stay quiet as long as possible. Am I supposed to load the gun only at legal sunrise???

This would be the same question for archery being nocked with my release on...

Edited by RHM_ny