NYSDEC National Hunting & Fishing Days

September 25-26 2010

37th Annual National Hunting and Fishing Day at the NYSDEC Region 8 Office, 6274 E. Avon – Lima Road, Avon, NY (Two miles east of Exit 10 off I-390 on Route 5/20). Presented by Livingston County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs & New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. (Contact: Randy Nemecek, NYSDEC 585-226-2466 [email protected]) This annual event is aimed at the whole family. try your hand at a variety of outdoor activities, including trap shooting, archery, fly casting and canoeing and it’s always fun to watch the FLCC Woodmen put on Lumberjack demonstrations  (Saturday only). If shopping try one of the commercial vendors or one of the 70 + vendors in the Sportsmen’s Flea Market.)

• 2 weeks later...

I went today, and I have to say, what a disappointment this year. There was far less than half of the normal vendors and spots taken up. From talking to a few of them it seems that the DEC has gotten pretty pricey on their spots the last 2 years. Way to go NYDEC, kill another good thing in the name of money. A couple more years like this and people wont bother showing up.

I went today, and I have to say, what a disappointment this year. There was far less than half of the normal vendors and spots taken up. From talking to a few of them it seems that the DEC has gotten pretty pricey on their spots the last 2 years. Way to go NYDEC, kill another good thing in the name of money. A couple more years like this and people wont bother showing up.

Sorry ...... I didn't see this thread when I started an almost identical comment on the "General Chit-Chat" forum. I was very disappointed to say the least. It did almost look like a protest kind of boycott thing. It was that significant a change. As I said in the other thread, I only skipped one year of attendance, so it looks like a rather sudden reaction to something. Also, it was not just vendors that were missing. I noticed right off that the buck skinners group weren't there.

Doc

Ever since Rod Schroder retired the event has gone down hill.

I wouldn't be surprised if maybe nobody is left for that assignment. I think somebody dropped the ball in terms of organization and soliciting participants. And yes, when Ron Shroeder was running it, the whole event was moving in a "growing" direction. I don't know who is in charge of it these days, and I seriously wonder if anybody is.

Doc

I went there rather than to the Italy Valley QDM meeting or the Rochester Gun Show and was surprised to see so few Vendors . I took one of my grandson's with me and he got to shoot the shotgun and bow . Got there around 10:45 and had to walk a hell of a distance . Dutch Hollow road had cars parked almost to Lakeville !  ???

The deer pee collectors each had a nice buck with them .

What a disappointment !

A couple more years like this and people wont bother showing up.

I noticed right off that the buck skinners group weren't there.

Doc

Dang it! I was told last week why they were not attending and forgot!

Bad timing fo revents. We go all summer long and September rolls around with :

Swain, a new event

NHF @ Avon

Gunshow in Roch

Hamburg Gunshow

Oswego trapper'a Vouse @ Camp Zerby

Carpenter's Brook NHF

I use to set up at Avon and had some good sales there for a few years. But with fee increases and people trying to buy supplies below cost~like they are at a flea market I stopped attending.

Actually my last show, I raised my prices on Sunday~ LOL it worked out very well for me as I had guys come back and say; this was less yesterday. To which I replied; yep , and I told you it would cost more tomorrow.

The owner of Trader Point Archery ( Henrietta ) was there . He runs a shop out of his home . He was selling off his inventory as he plans to just do setups , repairs , etc .. Some of these small shops cannot compete with the bigger boys . I bought my Parker Phoenix EZ Draw from him a few years ago .

I know a vendor that was the show who said he had over $600 invested in it, between a booth and advertising.  I would have to agree with you guys, that seems a bit pricey for a show hosted by the DEC.  I could see vendors hosting shows, such as the Dome Arena, having a reason to have high fees, but not the DEC.

I didn't make it this year and from the sounds of it I didn't miss much. I would think the DEC would want as much participation as possible. to have it in conflict with the gun shows is crazy and the darn vendors ought to just about get space for free or a small fee. Let them set up for free and maybe charge for PRIME spots or something.

If I was with the DEC I would want all the exposure I could get and want folks to have the view that they can't live without me. Especially in this time of cost cutting.