Waterfowl shooting problem

Live2Hunt

Steel sucks...period. I don't know how many times I ,or one of my friends would blow half the feathers off of a duck, only to watch it fly off and coast down into the swamp several hundred yards off. We were all big bird hunters at the time and all decent shots. It's like hitting them with a ping pong ball as apposed to a baseball. I haven't duck hunted in a few years but unless steel has made huge improvements..... STEEL SUCKS!!!

I would not argue with "Steel Sucks!" The non-toxic shot requirement for waterfowl came from "tree huggers" trying to improve the environment. Truth is...except for a few rare instances, the use of lead shot on waterfowl had virtually no negative effect (except for the waterfowl that were killed!) on waterfowl. But, the anti-lead argument played well with environmentalists. And, so.....we are stuck with it.

At least a full choke is needed , I hunt with an extra full , more peletts on target and extends ur range a little, I would also switch to number three or four(more pellets overall) I save the two's for windy days ...

What gun are you shooting an extra full in with steel?

I'm not sure about my 20ga Benelli but in my 12 SBE it is NOT recommended for steel shot in full or improved modified. Only mod, IC & cyl.

I must admit...My opinions on steel shot size were formed many years ago when steel first became mandatory.

At that time, with the shells available, # 4 steel was nearly useless..Only worked on small ducks like teal and woodies at very close range.

That is when I formed my opinion on shot size..Minimum #2 for ducks and BB for geese.

With today's improved high velocity non toxic ammo, I should give smaller shot another try. I was always a fan of small shot back when we could shoot lead...I killed many ducks with a 12 gauge handload of 1 1/4 oz lead 7 1/2 shot at about 1200fps shot through an IC or a mod tube.

With lead, I never found it necessary to shoot shot larger than #4 for geese...Steel is a different matter, though.

What gun are you shooting an extra full in with steel?

I'm not sure about my 20ga Benelli but in my 12 SBE it is NOT recommended for steel shot in full or improved modified. Only mod, IC & cyl.

gotta buy a specialty choke to shoot x-full steel, non of the factory chokes will support steel that tight... and its not like i shoot out of a $100 + choke, its a kick's x full ( have one for duck n one for turkey) been working fabulous for years!

Edited by deerpassion

Steel shot sucks.

Does it kill, yup. Sure, once you figure it out you'll kill with it and the newest stuff is much better (wads, hulls etc.) than the original products.

i agree, as a "younger" generation hunter, never had the privilege of hunting with anything else, never had a problem with it... maybe a learning curve? but i've shot other birds with lead n same thing, never had a problem, maybe a little more practice would help?

Why?

You don't use it because it's better. Do you work for Kent?

I use it for three reasons. First of all, I am one of those tree-huggers. Second of all, I dont want to swallow any lead or lead fragments. Third steel out performs lead - not vice versa. (I am not going to get into a ballistics other than saying that the shorter shot string, more uniform and denser pattern, actually make steel shot outperform lead shot). Balistics are not enough however. It takes practice and testing shell & choke combinations.

I think we all should agree that the kills in the video are not consistent with the negative stories about lead shot posted in this very thread.... Why might that be? - It is because a wingshooter must know his shooting abilities to be able to take lethal & ethical shots. Not many people can kill birds at 60 yards as in that video. If you are exceeding your capabilities of course you will not make lethal shots.

I would not argue with "Steel Sucks!" The non-toxic shot requirement for waterfowl came from "tree huggers" trying to improve the environment. Truth is...except for a few rare instances, the use of lead shot on waterfowl had virtually no negative effect (except for the waterfowl that were killed!) on waterfowl. But, the anti-lead argument played well with environmentalists. And, so.....we are stuck with it.

What you said below is patently false:

"Truth is...except for a few rare instances, the use of lead shot on waterfowl had virtually no negative effect (except for the waterfowl that were killed!) on waterfowl."

Instead of refering you to the volumes of research supporting that your statement is undoubtingly false; I will refer you to the little booklet you get when you buy your buck license called " NY Hunting &Trapping 2012 - 13 Official Guide to Laws & Regulations; Page 36 and 37.

The states with the most progressive wildlife agencies and also the most abundant game and hunting opportunities, one example is South Dakota, have implemented manadatory Green Ammo on public land for over ten years....

I want to urge the younger generation of hunters to seek out science-based information before unconditionally accepting tired, old disproven myths...

Again, watch the video... Again, old myths die slowly...

So there is a broad range of opinions here as far as choke tubes go. I went to the sporting goods store to get an IC choke . The guy there said get a full choke as you want a larger concentration of pellets in the bird. Really confused now.

I guess its kind of like trail and error and finding out what works for you.

So there is a broad range of opinions here as far as choke tubes go. I went to the sporting goods store to get an IC choke . The guy there said get a full choke as you want a larger concentration of pellets in the bird. Really confused now.

Full chokes actually have more fringing to the pattern, so the more evenly distributed, yet dense pattern which is produced with steel shot and an open constriction is better... "Try it, yull like it"... Good Luck!

He is probably thinking turkey hunting or just has no clue. Pretty simple deal.......

Get a IC and rock on.

Mike Rossi..... A more open constriction?

So you are saying use an IC choke??

An IC choke should be good. I didnt want to use the language "open choke" in case it was confused with no choke at all or "cylinder" choke.

An IC is not that big of a step from modified,however. You can try it with #2 shot, but a pure guess is you would get more pellet strikes on a bird smaller than a goose with finer shot, at least #4, possibly smaller.

Edited by mike rossi

Well went out duck hunting today, all set to use all the knowledge I got here. Only one problem, no ducks showed up..LOL Thats hunting.LOL .... But some geese did. Bagged two with 3 shots. (one follow up shot) Went to a full choke and #2 pellets (Kents). That combo really rock em! Thanks for all of your help Gentlemen!!. I'll let you know what happens next time I'm out for ducks. Be safe and good hunting to all.