Deer Attractants, Toeing the Line or Crossing the Line

wztirem

I am not so sure. I have use an apple scented cover and placed it out in wick canisters. the way that reads I was legal. Now if I had poured in on something I could be illegal.

Even bear hunting you are allowed and ounce and a half....and a honey burn in that amount would be ok. It is imparting scents and not trying to feed

See, that's why I don't use any of that crap ...... lol. It all just adds a whole lot of confusion, and I haven't really established any proof in my mind that any of it does any good. Wherever the cost doesn't discourage me, the doubt definitely does. ;D  Legality questions? ..... well that's just one more reason not to be bothered with it all.

here's another spin on it. Say you have an apple tree that doesn't have any fruit on it but the same kind of tree down the road is loaded. Is it illegal to transport apples from that tree and spread them around under the none productive tree? I would say yes. Also how bought filling bags with acorns from one tree and spreading them around under an acorn tree in front of your stand? would these be illegal baiting also?

here's another spin on it. Say you have an apple tree that doesn't have any fruit on it but the same kind of tree down the road is loaded. Is it illegal to transport apples from that tree and spread them around under the none productive tree? I would say yes. Also how bought filling bags with acorns from one tree and spreading them around under an acorn tree in front of your stand? would these be illegal baiting also?

Thats baiting, and is illegal.

Q and A section right off the DEC website-

Q: What types of attractants are legal for deer hunting?

A: You may use cover scents and lures, such as doe urine, for deer hunting. However, it is illegal to place a salt block or mineral lick on lands inhabited by deer at any time of year. It is also illegal to feed deer. Some attractants that are marketed for deer are liquids or dissolving powders which deer may not directly consume, but the attractants may entice deer to feed on the material which absorbed the attractant. These types of produces would not be legal.

That's a pretty iron-clad definition. I don't think that leaves a whole lot of room for interpretation or question. I do think it would have been clearer to straight out say that if it is a food attractant, it is automatically assumed to be illegal bait or food for deer.

Right, its completely straight forward, just like I said, if its not for the deer to eat, its legal. Urine (scrape) scented soil would fit the definition since its not made for the deer to eat. Same goes for a scent dripper as long as you arent dripping c'mere deer (or something like that) out of it.

Right, its completely straight forward, just like I said, if its not for the deer to eat, its legal. Urine (scrape) scented soil would fit the definition since its not made for the deer to eat. Same goes for a scent dripper as long as you arent dripping c'mere deer (or something like that) out of it.

Unfortunately, that's not exactly what they said. They left out stating flat out that bait has to have a "food" component to it and all else is legal. By the time you get done reading all that crap, you kind of come away with the idea that that is what they are getting at but for some reason laws are generally written up in the most confusing way they can think of.