Losing the Faith

Carpy744

I've been hunting 6K since opening day, state land. I had private access to the backside of the land through a friend from work. Literally drive a mile into the woods. The problem up there is we are not seeing an ounce of deer sign. None. Took 5 trips to find a couple of small buck rubs.. When the storm came a tree fell across the road. We can no longer get up the hill. Not seeing other hunters, no deer

Started hunting on the bottom of the state land by the road. Found a bunch of deer sign, but now deaing with other hunters..Right about now I would be really happy just to see a couple of tails..

I am starting to remember why I stopped hunting 6-7 years back..

I'm not whining. just venting..

How do you guys keep at it when you havent seen anything all season?

Your legs broken?

I routinely walk 1/2, 3/4, a mile or more to access to some spots. I find the harder you work to get to the spot the less competition you have. And usually the more deer you will see. I wouldn't pay that much attention to sign by the road unless there is a lot of ag fields near by that could be holding the deer close. If your talking a bigger chunk of woods it should be about equal (aside from minor environmental things like specific bedding areas or mast trees). I would keep with the "off the beaten path stuff". Deer activity should be picking up especially during the day now. Keep your chin up.

Scrapes showed up here, about a week ago. Rub sign on Holloween. They are now showing in new spots nightly. Now, this is not the norm for this area. Point is, all areas don't show signs, all the same time. Keep scouting. Things can change over night.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

hunting isn't easy. 90% of it is prep work as well. finding a good spot. putting in a stand, trimming the shooting lanes. creating an approach trail that doesn't cross runs. cleaning the runs so they keep using them, mock scrapes etc. I knew a guy that became frustrated with hunting and one day while talking i found out he didn't use scent free body/hair wash. there's a lot you can do to improve your odds, but they still have to go by you.

i'm thinking your state land is heavily hunted. i hunted state land once and it was a waste of time in my opinion. nys hunting has also changed over the past few decades. normally the vast acres of land were where all the deer were at. now it seems the burbs hold some giants.

just keep at it. Yesterday seemed to be a perfect morning in 3M but didn't see a thing. At about 10am I was getting ready to pack it in and a doe comes trotting past. About a minute later a nice buck (that I had never seen before or got on camra) comes following her scent. Too far for a shot, but just shows that they can show up when you are not expecting.

i havn't seen nothing till these last 3 days.I had a lott of time on watch too.They are moving how.be in the woods and you will see something.i know 6k is hard to hunt.I have hunted there before and usually go there about 5 times a yr.l always see some deer.Only ever seen one buck and a button but i am on the move too.Maybe if i was to scout it harder i would find a good run to set stand.

Hell.my son shot a nice 8pt buck up in 6k his first 3hrs ever in the woods.They are there.If you don't have private parcels to hunt you just have to put some time in those woods.

And just cut that tree with a chain saw and be done with it.

I hear ya...been on 15 sits both public and private land...seen three doe, all when I was either walking in or out. ZERO deer when on stand. I just hold to to the fact that is HAS TO happen soon. My biggest problem is that I have started to doubt all my previous scouting so I have started to jump around as opposed to sticking to my plan. Getting back to the basics this weekend to put some meat on ice!

I think you have to be there for the hunt not the kill. I spend alot of tome in the stand and it is tough at times. Early in the year I don't do all day sits 3-4 hours get down and scout and then back up if you can. Hunt to see nothing just the peace and quite. When you least expect it the deer will show and then you have to outwit them and that is the fun of hunting.

• Like 1

I put a lot of time in hunting, multiple stands, setting up trails, cameras and such. I've went days on end with out anything and then something pops up. That is part of the rush and fun! If you saw something every time you wouldn't have the same thrill. When I get frustrated I take a fews days off and usually get the "itch" to hunt again. I usually ask my father for advice when this happens and he always states its the hunt, the challenge and using your ability to out smart the deer and most importantly its that time away from everyone else, cell phones included. Think of it more as a "restore" for yourself. Stop pressuring yourself to see a deer and see everything else in the woods, chances are you'll end up seeing something. Good Luck and my apologizes Biggame if I said some of the same things of your post.

The original spot we have to drive a mile into the woods to get there, it is up an old road, a few other camps are along it. We spread out from the cabin.

I do not still hunt, I sound like an elephant walking through the woods at my quietest..

Things finally turned around. We've finally found the areas with the deer. Saw 3 yesterday, passed a small spike.. My friend bleated in a 6ish but it came in fast looking and busted him.

My buddy left work early to hunt today, i had to stay all day.. Kicked deer up on the way in, within 20 min of sitting a spike came through with a bigger buck behind it. He shot the spike before he saw the bigger deer...Also, had the typical deer walk up on him while gutting his deer..