All the work and time for naught

noodle one

Here comes the buck I have been waiting on. When I first spotted him the first thing I saw was his big white rack, he was at 30 yards and moving my way at a slow walk.. He had no idea I was there. This was the buck I was hoping to get a shot at. I had seen him two days earlier dogging a doe. She ran by me three times with him on her tail going a hunderd miles a hour or sew what to looked like at the time. I went back there yesterday (Tue.) hoping to get a better look at him. He never showed himself, but a big six came by that I passed on waiting for the big boy (15 yards) Anyother time I would have taken the six because he was that good. I take great pride in the way I bow hunt. I hunt on the ground not from a tree stand. I use all natual ground cover.I use no deer scents to bring deer in. I do use a cover scent and that is it.I have taken many buck using this setup. i always do the the same thing every time before leaving my truck in the morning to start my hunt. I always draw my bow two or three times before heading into the woods to make sure there are no problems and when I get to my spot I do the same and draw it two or three times (no problem). I am 69 years old and have been bow hunting for over 50 years and have taken one or two bucks every year as far back as I can remember. and today should have been no different, I am that sure of myself. I had been sitting for two hours waiting on this buck to show himself and here he was at 30 yards coming my way. I was watching him out of the corner of my eye walk by at 15 yards quartering away from me. the prefect shot setup. I alway hunt setting and take most of my shots while sitted and today would be no diffference. The buck is 17or 18 yards from me with nothing in the way. I started to draw and was 3/4 away in my draw is when it happened, I could not draw my bow. this has never happen before. I was so stiff that I could not draw my bow. I guess old age is catching up with me. I told myself to stand and draw,but that didn't help. I tried a half doz times and just could not draw. All this time the buck was there and not knowing what was going on. He started moving away slowing until he was no longer in sight. I sat there for five min after he was gone before I made a move. I got up and tried to draw my bow and it took me three or four time before I could draw it back I was so stiff. i have never, never had this happen before. I going to give it another try tomorrow , but this time I am taken some tubing with me to pull on it every 5 min. and hope I don't stiffen up. I hope they pass crossbows before next year, because if they don't I will still use one so I am not wasting my time.

The tubing I have is for pulling stretches that I use before I start drawing my bow in early fall. I can set it so that it is like pulling 65 lbs. or less. As far as getting a new bow with less draw weight I don't want an other bow ,I love my bow. It is a High Country( carbon 4Runner)It is a very smooth shooting bow and I would not have any other but High Country. My bow is set at 55 lbs. I just can't take the cold like I use to. The mind says yes ,but the body says noway.when it cold out and I stiffen up. The tubing I have is lite and small so I can carry it in with no problem and pull it every 5 or 10 mins.

Those old bones & muscles don't like the chilly temperatures. I have to be very selective about the conditions during the end of bow season when the temps begin to spiral downward. There are large heat patches that might help if applied to your shoulder before a hunt. I hear ya' about the Xbows!

I'll tell you that that is not just an "old-guy" problem. I recall a time while I was still in my 30's that I had stood for about 2 hours in 20 degree temperatures with my hands jammed into my pockets and my shoulders all crunched up trying to stay as warm as possible. And I'll be darned if I didn't have the same thing happen. The muscles just locked up and I tried several times to get the bow pulled back when a doe came by. Couldn't do it. And this was a bow that I shot tournament with all summer.That was 28 target (4 arrows each) and countless practice shots as well. Never a strength or endurance problem. However, 2 hours of tensed up frozen standing made the muscles react in a weird way that had absolutely nothing to do with age or strength.