New Zealand Hunting

nzhuntinginfo

Uncle,

The meat always (mostly) stays here in New Zealand.

The costs of expediting a red stag trophy and cape to the USA usually ends up totalling about US $1 000 although guys with big coins in their pockets often get the taxidermy done here in New Zealand.

Turkey hunting is almost all done on private land.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

THE RED STAG RUT (ROAR) NEW ZEALAND

The roar started early for me this year...I was lucky to get onto some good active Red Stags on public land in Mid March.
In new Zealand we have wild deer herds that originate from liberations made 100 years ago using founder stock from various parts of the UK and Scotland.

This photo was taken at 109m with 12 optical zoom.
When I put up the next photo of this stag maybe you can relate to the process of roaring in a Red Stag

stag109mthb041_zps32c846fe.jpg

He didn't make any more noises but what was amazing was how accurately he had pinpointed my position...

and was now well under 100m from me and just quietly coming in.

An animal like this on public land has to survive commercial venison hunting by helicopter. (although the helicopters are not allowed to hunt during the rut).

As a result many deer become semi-nocturnal.

Stagwalkthb056_zpscb009803.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It's nice to see how hunting looks in other countries. Thanks for the pictures and the descriptions. It all sure doesn't look like an activity for those that aren't in top condition, but the scenery is absolutely spectacular.

• Like 2

Thanks for your encouraging comments.

Alpine hunting for tahr and chamois in New Zealand, especially on public land does require a high level of fitness.

This recent photo shows a group of chamois during the rut on public land.

It is unusual to see mobs of chamois like this because of high hunting pressure.

Rknowlerthb084_zps30f2ce1d.jpg

Chamois Winter Coat

Because of heavy hunting pressure, Alpine Chamois tend to inhabit rugged mountains.

I was lucky that this chamois got hung up in some vegetation and didn't roll 500 feet down the hillside.

It is only possible to move around on the higher ground because the hillsides are cut by impassable gullys.

If you shoot an animal low down you have to climb back up onto the ridge.

ShaleFridaymedoethb054_zps82478861.jpg

• 1 month later...

Yes,

Whoever is over here will be having a fantastic time...anyone interested in the outdoors loves New Zealand.

On its website the New Zealand NOLS promotes the following exciting past times.....

Back packing, canoeing, caving climbing, flyfishing, horsepacking, mountaineering, rafting, river kayaking, sailing sea kayaking skiing plitboarding.

But one of the most exciting of the outdoor pursuits is MISSING.

• 2 weeks later...

Wild Animal Behaviour        Alpine Game

This fellow recently photographed in the Canterbury high country knows that something's up so he's following his instinct and looking downhill.
New Zealand doesn't have any natural predators for chamois but this sort of response to danger makes you wonder about the tactics of the chamois' natural predators in Europe...me thinks climb high and jump although you wouldn't want to go over the edge here. There's a genuine 300m drop below.

Chamwrongwaythb024_zps4e74ef48.jpg