Your DEC/State Troopers at Work

screamon demon

Because bow hunting takes alot more skill than gun hunting does for starters and hopefully those first 2 years will teach the new hunters about being responsible for the projectile you are about to let fly through the woods. I cant count how many times this season alone i hear people pray and spray the woods instead of actually hunting the animal and killing it with one ethical deadly shot , if archery season doesn't teach that than nothing does.

• Like 1

You don't need a pen . All you have to do is take the knife out of your pocket or sheath and cut out the Month and day of the kill on the tag . It's that simple .

the dec officer that was at my saftey course said if you dont have a pen or your pen dont work you need to at least cut out the month and day that way you can prove your not trying to save that tag for another deer or something like that

52-year-old Darlene Lensenhuber of Warsaw - charged with improper lending of a deer carcass tag

hmmm first time i've seen "the wife" get ticketed.

not that i'm advocating what they're doing but how these people get caught is amazing to me.

How many of you on your own land tag the deer after you pull it out of the woods and over to the deer pole? I have and should change my ways. I can see a ticket on the horizon........

i dont usually tag till i'm in the garage and it's only because there's so much going on. I dont see how an officer would ever know and we always do tag but it is something to consider.

Yupper , you are right and I am wrong . I havn't had to fill one out this year and was in error in my statement .

I keep a pen in my jacket and also the backpack . Usually the one in the backpack won't work in cold weather

however, if you were stopped with a notched out tag attached tot he deer and explained you lost your pen i doubt you'd be ticketed.

The ages in the article are quite surprising.. old enough to know better...

at the risk of generalizing. a lot of those guys are old school hunters shooting deer and knowing a few myself dont believe the law can tell them what they can and cant shoot and how they do it.

Edited by Belo

Look, who knows what was in the mind of the 22 yr old, but to just get em out to hunt was right, just went about it the wrong way. The problem is he didn't have them stay with him the first time. Fine him, explain the rules to him and the 15 yr olds, and slap them on the wrist. I'm sure we've all done some stupid things in our lifetime, but I'm not going to categorize this with poaching, baiting, or illegally taking deer. I feel 16 is alright to be by yourself. I didn't hunt with my dad at all till I was able to go out on my own. At 16, my first year in 68, I took the test, we bought a rifle, sighted it in, and he put me in the stand and said "If you get something, blow the whistle". Didn't get one opening day, but the second day, a buck chased a doe right down the hill and I shot em, a nice 5 pointer. We always hunted near each other, and we'd meet up and walk through areas or drive them to each other. That's where I learned how to walk through an area watching him. I walked all over those 600 acres and know them like the back of my hand. Back then, we didn't have walkie-talkies or phones. We'd let other guys know that we were gonna be walking after 9:00 and to watch out. I've been blessed to always hunt in a hunting club, so it's been easier for me than for most.

The hunter safety course sets young hunters up to always think about what's going on in the woods. I've brought my son with me since he was 11 and hunted with me till he was 18 and able to hunt by himself. The kids learn real fast when you put the time in and I'm sure that that's what this 22 yr old was trying to do.

Look, who knows what was in the mind of the 22 yr old, but to just get em out to hunt was right, just went about it the wrong way. The problem is he didn't have them stay with him the first time. Fine him, explain the rules to him and the 15 yr olds, and slap them on the wrist. I'm sure we've all done some stupid things in our lifetime, but I'm not going to categorize this with poaching, baiting, or illegally taking deer. I feel 16 is alright to be by yourself. I didn't hunt with my dad at all till I was able to go out on my own. At 16, my first year in 68, I took the test, we bought a rifle, sighted it in, and he put me in the stand and said "If you get something, blow the whistle". Didn't get one opening day, but the second day, a buck chased a doe right down the hill and I shot em, a nice 5 pointer. We always hunted near each other, and we'd meet up and walk through areas or drive them to each other. That's where I learned how to walk through an area watching him. I walked all over those 600 acres and know them like the back of my hand. Back then, we didn't have walkie-talkies or phones. We'd let other guys know that we were gonna be walking after 9:00 and to watch out. I've been blessed to always hunt in a hunting club, so it's been easier for me than for most.

The hunter safety course sets young hunters up to always think about what's going on in the woods. I've brought my son with me since he was 11 and hunted with me till he was 18 and able to hunt by himself. The kids learn real fast when you put the time in and I'm sure that that's what this 22 yr old was trying to do.

i agree. but unless i'm mistaken you can hunt alone at 16. it's 14and15 with a gun that you cannot hunt alone. I'm only 29 and the 14 age wasn't even in place 15 years ago.

oh and by the way the age comments are not uncommon. Most ticketed are in the 30's to 60's range. As I have stated on here the younger hunters are the safer and are more likely to follow the laws.

As a younger guy (25) I may be able to shed some light as to why, and I'm sure I'm speaking for a lot of the guys (and girls :)) around my age or younger. We may be dumb at times, careless, at others, and fearless most of the time. Through all of that, we do see what we have, and we don't take it for granted. There is a lot at stake with messing with hunting and fishing laws, up to and including lifetime loss of privelages. Not something I'm cool with. I love the outdoors, and I love to hunt. If all I have to do is follow a few simple laws to guarantee that privelage to myself, then that's what has to be done. It's pointless to get busted (and most likely have to pay a fine) for something as stupid as a carcass tag, or forgetting to have your license with you. And I am not slamming anyone by any means, but with all due respect, the older guys, the ones that are in these DEC reports, are SUPPOSED to be role-models to us younger guys. Shame on you for setting a poor example.

Belo,

I'm sorry. Our club, now, says you hunt supervised till your 17 as a junior member. At 18, your on your own. I see your good to go at age 16 everywhere else. I just hope that all the youth who take up hunting have the same benefits of being supervised by the parents, guardians, or friends who can teach them the true value of the sport.

Belo,

I'm sorry. Our club, now, says you hunt supervised till your 17 as a junior member. At 18, your on your own. I see your good to go at age 16 everywhere else. I just hope that all the youth who take up hunting have the same benefits of being supervised by the parents, guardians, or friends who can teach them the true value of the sport.

totally agree. wouldn't be the hunter i am today without my dad, uncles and grandpa