New Wood Stand Up, this time its just a three tree'r.

burmjohn

Put up a new stand this weekend, it was a pain because I was by myself.  (well my wife was there, but she just watched)....

This one was a three tree wood stand...

[smg id=319]

Even have a seat :)

[smg id=320]

Double banded every part that touched the tree.

[smg id=318]

View from up top

[smg id=317]

[smg id=316]

[smg id=315]

Heh.. No the bands do not hold the platform.  I used galvanized nails, 3.5 inch I beleive, these nails may bend slightly and move but the bands are there for extra support and safety.  I've done these types of stands for years, they are always solid.  I did this one a just a 2 or 3 year temp stand until we get to know the property better.  Once we do, I'll be setting up tower stands, which are not to hard but just take a lot more time to do.  I had this stand up in no time, and it will be good for at least a few years.  The railings are not nailed in, they are just held up by the bands.

Regarding the price, can't get much cheaper then a few 2x6x12's and 2x4x8's Maybe about $70 in wood, nails, screws and gorilla steps (metal).

Well I'll trust your judgement. I too build wood stands,however I don't trust nails at all. A 3 1/2 inch nail through a 2 inch board leaves 1 1/2 inches to go into the tree and some of that is bark now add some sway,well not for me.

I use 6 inch lag bolts with washers, as for sway just cut slots and back the bolt out a 1/2 turn.

I build them like a deck on  house only stronger due to sway,height and the fact I'm in them !!

6 Inch lag bolts are nice, but do you worry about killing the tree?  Regardless of what you use, I check the stand every time I get in (everyone should, metal or wood!).  And the metal straps just add a little bit more of extra precaution in the case the nails don't hold (and those metal straps, doubled up, would hold the stands no problem for years alone).    Now that I've built a wood ladder type stand on one tree, those are the way to go.  They are more resistant to the tree sway, because its just one tree, they can move with the tree with out issue (from what I have seen).  This "three tree" was built really for use for just a few seasons until we get to know the property better, they are easy to build and last a pretty long time.

Years ago, I had a triple trunked pine tree that did a great job of snapping nails right between the board and the trunk so that there was nothing visible that would tell you that the nails were broke. Except of course eventually it would get bad enough to start to move. So before entering the stand, be sure to give it a good test, especially on the first time of the year, and be sure to be harnessed. A lot of times, just some of the nails are broke, and the stand feels somewhat secure. What I found from watching these 3 trunks in a high wind is that they act independantly and do not always move in the same direction. The amount of force that a tree can develop in a wind is tremendous. And the cyclic fatigue is murder on the little cross section of a nail. Yes the pine tree that I chose was worse because it has needles on it year around and gets the "sail" effect all year around even worse than deciduous trees.

I like the strap idea a a secondary factor of safety. I did start looking at some design alternatives that would allow the main horizontal support members to slide instead of being fastened rigidly via nails. In other words, the support beam would be fastened securely to one trunk, but at the other end it would be captured in a sliding shackle so that the two trunks were never pulling the attachment apart or trying to push it together. I'm probably not being too clear without a diagram. Any way, My fear of heights took over, and experimentation along those lines ceased.

I do think that something like a 5/8" lag-bolt would be much better than nails. I had a stand that I built in a willow that I used lag-bolts on, and the tree will be dead and on the ground before those things ever come apart That was just about the time I was getting a bit paranoid of heights. So I spared no expense or effort to feel absolutely secure. I called it my "condo". It has a 4' x 5' platform with railings all around and a section of heavy duty aluminum extension ladder to get into it. Every piece of wood is pressure treated 2 x 8's. I think it is going on its 11th year and is still a piece of the tree it's mounted on and I have no doubt it will last long after me. The lag bolts do not break! Also, they have not hurt the tree at all.

Doc

I'm more worried about me getting hurt then one of thousands of tree's where i hunt. seeing as how we bush hog 14 foot wide trails,clear drainage ditches ,cut trees down that over hang crop fields,that 100's of trees a year right there. The farmer who's land I hunt has 17 foot up in the air a 24x14 foot "house" on 6 phone polls !  I just built a 4x8 one that is on the ground for now up on phone polls next year .

Deck is pressure treated 2x6,floor 3/4 inch ply. walls roof 1/2inch. 2x4's about 24 of them,primed, painted ,drip edge and roofed .

I'm more worried about me getting hurt then one of thousands of tree's where i hunt. seeing as how we bush hog 14 foot wide trails,clear drainage ditches ,cut trees down that over hang crop fields,that 100's of trees a year right there. The farmer who's land I hunt has 17 foot up in the air a 24x14 foot "house" on 6 phone polls !  I just built a 4x8 one that is on the ground for now up on phone polls next year .

Deck is pressure treated 2x6,floor 3/4 inch ply. walls roof 1/2inch. 2x4's about 24 of them,primed, painted ,drip edge and roofed .

Wow, I would love to see pictures of that "house" on tele. poles.

Ill try, it blows away all the "red neck" tree stand pics I've seen in the magazines. I had a couple on my computer which are gone now I'll ask him to re send them.

Its to big to really hunt out of as you can see out of all sides at the same time.....

Good luck in the upcoming season !!