30-06 grain choice??

I have shot thousands of rounds in 30-06 threw the years,Did my own reloading,165 grain was my choice,if you are not getting 5 bullets inside a quarter in 100 yards,1st. you are flinching,2nd.your trigger pull stinks ( too heavy or not smooth) Most factory triggers are set too tight.Try to use factory ammo made close to each other as don't buy 1 or 2 boxes in store A this year and a different store B next year.Buy 5 boxes from the same store at the same time.If stored right it does not go bad.

160 -180 gr I like TSX bullets as well, they performed very well in my Savage.....

In my experience the Barnes X, TSX, TTSX bullets work great, and also seem to cause less tissue destruction and bloodshot meat, while killing critters just as fast and efficiently as any other bullet, including those that are designed to expand and use all ( or most)of thier energy in the animals.

Barnes X type bullets nearly ALWAYS exit, and leave good blood trails, in my experience. They usually retain close to 100% of thier weight.

They are also very accurate in my rifles.

I always used the Remington 180gr CoreLokt in my 06 and 300 Savage. More because they were the standard round in my gun shops than anything else. They always worked fine so I had no reason to change..

The Rem Coreloct is a proven cup/core game bullet.

If I shot factory loads, I probably would be using a "heavy for caliber" Rem coreloct for my hunting rifles.

You could shoot a 30-06 or a .308 or a .300 Savage with 180 grain corelocts for any game on this continent, from javelinas to grizzly bears, and still have a pretty efficient rig. I'm not recommending it for the big bears, but 75 years ago it was considered more than adequate, and I don't think the bears, or moose, or elk have gotten any tougher since then.

DEER..??... No problemo....<<grin>>...

I have shot thousands of rounds in 30-06 threw the years,Did my own reloading,165 grain was my choice,if you are not getting 5 bullets inside a quarter in 100 yards,1st. you are flinching,2nd.your trigger pull stinks ( too heavy or not smooth) Most factory triggers are set too tight.Try to use factory ammo made close to each other as don't buy 1 or 2 boxes in store A this year and a different store B next year.Buy 5 boxes from the same store at the same time.If stored right it does not go bad.

5 shots inside of a quarter is pretty good shooting. To tell a guy that if he can't do it he's flinching or has a lousy trigger pull isn't really nice correct.

A quarter is less than in inch in diameter. For many hunters a 5 shots inside of an inch would be quite an accomplishment on a great day. Quite possibly a guy could have a lousy bedding job, poorly mounted scope, junk scope/mounts, cheap ammo, warm barrel, windy day, horrible rest or no rest (front & rear) or lord knows the guy might not really know HOW to shoot (you noted that) from a bench for group size.

Sure, it could be the trigger but lots of things could be out of whack too.

BTW, I also like 165gr for the -06. Not sure why but it always seemed like a good balance and a RCH less recoil.

I shoot 180 usually but occasionally use 220 grain... its like hitting a deer with a truck... anywhere in the front shoulder and it takes the deer right off his feet. Most of my shots are from 80 and in... not sure I'd recommend the heavier bullet for longer range shooting.

My savage likes federal premium 165 gr. siera boat tail of any type of tip, the Nosler ballistic tips seem to give me my best groups and least amount of corrosion on long wet trips which can be very importian when a good cleaning is days or weeks away... I have had missfires with some other ammo years ago which is why I have always stuck with Federal Ammo for factory loads. With the exception of reloading, federal ammo was the most consistant ammo I have every shot...

Try a few loads and see whats works best, like many have said each gun is dif and has it's prefered ammo. Let us know what you finally use, and good luck!

• 5 weeks later...

Yea i'm going to be calling a local gunsmith the trigger pull has caused me to not like my gun so much. I hope it comes back working like a dream.

if your triggers that rough it will be well worth the investment, but beware the first couple of times at the range. in picked up a ruger #1 with a very light well worked trigger, pointed it down range, loaded a round, shouldered it, put my finger on the trigger and off it went. im so use to creep then resistance it trully caught me off guard and startled the crap out of me. 100 rounds later i was much more settled with it but it still sits formost in mind when i pick up the gun. so what did you find for bullets that work in your '06?

if your triggers that rough it will be well worth the investment, but beware the first couple of times at the range. in picked up a ruger #1 with a very light well worked trigger, pointed it down range, loaded a round, shouldered it, put my finger on the trigger and off it went. im so use to creep then resistance it trully caught me off guard and startled the crap out of me. 100 rounds later i was much more settled with it but it still sits formost in mind when i pick up the gun. so what did you find for bullets that work in your '06?

Well I ended up getting a few boxes of Fusion 165 grain. Hoping to get my rifle to a gun-smith soon to get the trigger job done. And I figure around 3 pounds should be good.

Haven't had the weather to shoot much but i'll be getting it all together soon.

Well I ended up getting a few boxes of Fusion 165 grain. Hoping to get my rifle to a gun-smith soon to get the trigger job done. And I figure around 3 pounds should be good.

Haven't had the weather to shoot much but i'll be getting it all together soon.

• Like 1

The 30-06 is so versatile its not an easy question. I think going to a well constructed 165 grain bullet is a very good move because you pick up a better ballistic coefiicient and better sectional density compared to the 150. That should translate into better long range energy retention and penetration. If you plan on hunting something bigger than deer with the same gun then move up to 180's. I shoot 180's.