Elk or Buffalo hunts ??

BfloHunter

Has anyone here been on a really good elk or buffalo hunt? I feel like every time I google something like this the popular $8,000 trips come up but id like to find something that is more reasonable really. I know there has got to be some of you out there that have found a great spot and wouldn't mind sharing it :). Thanks for any advice

Not sure about Buffalo.

With respect to an Elk Hunt, you should be able to get yourself a nice 5x5 or 6x6 for $5K or less. Fair-chase out west. I know Arizona is draw only. I believe Colorado has over the tag licenses.

I did a quick search for you. Found a place for $5K, with near 90% success rates on Rifle Bull Elk that are 4x4 - 6x6 up to 320".

http://www.ninemileguestranch.com/hunting.html

Spend some time doing research. Email a bunch of outfitters. Then try to find reviews on your short-list of outfitters, talk to references, etc.

Good Luck!

CO is very hunter friendly for elk. call the game dept, they can answer all questions and will mail you a nice pack of info depending on what you are looking for. Most buffalo is done on large ranches in a bunch of western states. they seem to be in similar price range as elk depending on size/age. take time now to get familiar with prices and tag requirements so you are ready for 2013 if thats when you want to go.

Not sure about Buffalo.

With respect to an Elk Hunt, you should be able to get yourself a nice 5x5 or 6x6 for $5K or less. Fair-chase out west. I know Arizona is draw only. I believe Colorado has over the tag licenses.

I did a quick search for you. Found a place for $5K, with near 90% success rates on Rifle Bull Elk that are 4x4 - 6x6 up to 320".

http://www.ninemileg...om/hunting.html

Spend some time doing research. Email a bunch of outfitters. Then try to find reviews on your short-list of outfitters, talk to references, etc.

Good Luck!

I'd be highly suspicious of anyone claiming 90% success rates on 6X6 elk, most especially in a heavily hunted state like Colorado.

"I did a quick search for you. Found a place for $5K, with near 90% success rates on Rifle Bull Elk that are 4x4 - 6x6 up to 320"."

OK, so it's 90% for a 4x4-6x6. Even that sounds too good to be true for an elk hunt. I don't think an elk hunt ANYWHERE is close to such a slam dunk on any sized elk. Most especially for $5K which is not a lot of money for a guided big game hunt these days. Heck, people spend as much for deer hunts. Anyway, I have no interest in seeing whether this guides claims are true or not, but buyer should beware in my opinion.

From the Site:

The elk we hunt are typical northwest Colorado elk consisting mostly of 4- to 6-point bulls (legal bulls are 4 or more points on one side) scoring up to around 320-330" on the top end. Our elk aren't huge but the sheer numbers are staggering.

Rifle elk hunting at Nine Mile is fabulous! It's not uncommon for some of our hunters to actually see elk in the hundreds here during the rifle season. Rifle hunters also experience nearly 100% shot opportunity.

Edited by Danny
  • Like 1

PA ELK:

This $10.70 application is for the random drawing (to be held in September on a date yet to be determined) to purchase one of 65 licenses (19 antlered, 46 antlerless) for the November 5-10, 2012 season. Nonresidents have an equal opportunity in the drawing. If drawn, a Pennsylvania resident may purchase an elk license for $25; nonresidents $250.

Edited by Danny

My opinion is $8K is way too expensive, unless you only want a giant.

Here's another one, in Wyoming

As seen on ESPN, Outdoor Channel, etc. http://www.blisscreekoutfitters.com/index.html

$3,600 - $5,600 depending on when you go and what you hunt with.

Archery Elk

Our archery elk season runs from September 1 to September 30. This is the majestic bugle season. Our archery elk hunts are true wilderness experiences and not for the half-hearted hunter. Your physical condition will determine how much your guide can do with you. Our archery elk hunts are 8 days in length.Success varies from year to year.

Shooting success at bulls 40 yards or less has averaged around 75% in the past 18 years with the harvest depending on the hunters. We take 4 to 8 bowhunters per hunt. The Wyoming Game & Fish Deparment has 25 "archery only" tags set aside for this area. Archery tags are almost guaranteed. These hunts fill up quickly so book early.

Rifle Elk

General rifle elk season runs October 1-21. We run 7-day hunts with one or two-hunters per guide. We take 4-8 hunters per hunt, with 5-6 hunters being the average. Hunting will vary from calling in bulls, to glassing and stalking, to still hunting through timber.

Lots of horseback riding, day and night, and walking are usually required. On all of our elk hunts we hunt all day long. You will be leaving the base camp in the dark and returning in the dark.

Late Season Elk

November 1-30 is our late elk season. This is when the big bulls migrate out of the high fall range and out of Yellowstone National Park down to the winter range. It is not uncommon to see herds of 100-200 elk. This is the time of year when the chance of getting a really big bull are high. Success on these hunts is near 100% on 300 B&C bulls.

• Like 1

New Mexico & AZ have great animals its just tough to get the tag and prices seem to be a bit higher as a result. Ck out CO, WY, and Utah. check the state's game/wildlife websites to get familiar with tag process and costs and dates of each. then spend a lot of time reading outfitter websites and reviews. Make contact with a bunch of them and see what they are all about.

• 9 months later...

i live in WA state, i hunt elk every year and very successful no outfitter nothing... you just have to research public land and Get some Timber Company  permits and hike your ASS off or mountain bike it... OTC out of state licenses will run you little over $1000 bucks... thats including your tag... Not a huge fan of outfitters id rather take my luck and harvest on my own..... thats my 2 cents... if you want info on WA PM me.... or if your looking for a outfitter... BEARPAW Outfitters they do WA,UT,ID, 

Four of us did an elk hunt the first week of September in Colorado and it cost us a little over $1000 each if you want to go DIY on public land.  And $585 of that was the non-resident tag.  Then we had $365 in gas, 2 nights in a hotel/motel, and groceries.  We were gone 12 days total and spent 8 of those hunting.  We were into elk nearly everyday.  It may cost you more if you need to upgrade some of your gear but I can't recommend it enough.  It was awesome.  

If you would rather be led around by a guide and not have to do any of the work yourself it will cost you much more.    

We weren't able to close the deal but we got close.  One of the guys got to within 28 yards of a huge 6X6, but couldn't get a shot and one of the other guys missed a nice 5X5.  Not bad considering it was the first elk hunt for all of us and was in an OTC unit on public land.  I took a lot of pictures and I'll try and get some posted up.  This was my first trip to Colorado and I can't wait to get back.