Which choke ?

BaldguyLee

Hi, people. Silly question here. Aside from memory, what's an easy way to remind myself which choke tube is in my shotgun? I switch up on different trips, but I find myself looking at which chokes are left, to know which one must be in my gun. Any quick and easy tips ?

Thanks.

--Lee

My Browning choke tubes and my Remington choke tubes both have the choke stamped on the side of the tubes. The Brownings also have notches to indicate the choke when it is installed in the barrel.

Edited by Pygmy

I have a polychoke on one of my shotguns and love it especially for bird hunting under varying conditions. I don't know why they are no langer popular. They are still very much in business: http://www.poly-choke.com/

Lee, with other shotguns I always put a small piece of colored duct tape on the bbl marked with with a sharpee to remind me of what choke I have installed. I also keep a hunting/shooting log and record any changes made to a firearm.

Edited by adkbuck

Polychokes and other adjustable choke devices are very functional...Just yesterday I admired a Browning A-5 Light Twelve with a solid rib and a Cutts Compensator.

How ever, many shooters just don't care for the big bulge on the end of the muzzle.

Ever try to sell a shotgun with a polychoke on it ? It's like the kiss of death.

Nothing will reduce the resale value of a quality vintage shotgun like a Win Model 12 or a Browning A-5 quicker than a polychoke.

I usually double check first that the gun is unloaded, then I stick my pinky down the barrel. The farther down I can get my finger, the more open the choke. I make it a point to mark all chokes with a permanent marker that don't come that way from the factory so I'm not guessing if I'm in the dark or in a hurry.

• 2 months later...