first time hunting questions

carbons2k

So im scheduled to get my hunting licence in the next few weeks and Ive got a few questions... So here it goes...

Since Ive never been before, im not sure what a good area to go is and was thinking about one of these outfitters spot to sorta "pop my hunting cherry" IS this a good idea and do they charge you per deer that you get?

My dad used to hunt up in the new paltz area and has since given up. Hes not real keen in the subject anymore and I dont want to ask but how do I know what area is legal for hunting (public) to me and which areas are restricted?

Thanks for the help! Time to practice all summer and get my shot better!

nothin wrong with an outfitter but ive never been to one so how can i say LoL IF you can find private land i would recommend trying to get it but if not thats fine just spend as much time as possible in the woods and you will learn... im new myself so im just learning from everyone here and time spent in the field, i personaly feel that ive learned more just while i was out hunting than ive learned in a lot of my scouting, but thats just me plus this is my third year deer hunting so im not very good at scouting yet... always remember a doe is FINE for a first deer dont hold out for a 150+ class 10 point or something cause you will most likley wait for years... (my first was a doe)

(trail cams are a good investment but a good lock box for em is even better on state land...)

First off, where are you located?

You can go to the DEC website and download the google earth add-on. It'll give you a map of a bunch of places you can hunt.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7844.html

I can see some outfitters that you drag you to a spot that they had already scouted, sit you there, and then you shoot the deer when it walks by. This is shooting a deer. You won't learn anything about hunting this way but this can potential "hook" a customer to keep relying on this outfitter to shoot deer. I can also see an outfitter who takes you around and explains how to located, track, and hunt a deer. The latter type of outfitter may be worth it. I've never used an outfitter so I can say which ones are good or bad.

• Like 1

Once you identify the park you want to hunt in, find out about that parks regulations. The state of New York has it's regulations but each county has their own sets of rules as well and some parks even have their own rules. For example, long island is shotgun only during specific times of the year, etc. Read up on the behaviors and patterns of the game animal you want to hunt, be it squirrel, pheasant, or deer. Know how the animal defends/hides itself, what it eats, where it likes to sleep, etc. then do a ton of scouting/hiking looking for those clues.

Knowing your gun is very, very, very important to firearm safety but a hunter who knows everything about the game animal he is pursuing but is only an average shot will be more successful than a sharpshooter who doesn't know anything about his prey.

Are you only interested in big game ?

If not..

In addition to what others wrote..

N.Y. has a

pheasant stocking program (even on L.I.),

There's turkey.. Fall and Spring hunt upstate and short L.I. fall season

Then there are waterfowl,..small game.,. other game birds(including crows),.. predators and other furbearers like coon and possom

There's a whole lot to choose from and fun learning... Ask questions.. be sure of the laws and legal locations to hunt...Watch some hunting videos for specific game..youtube has some good ones

You can also call the DEC in Stoneybrook and ask questions about L.I... I used to do that a lot and they were very helpful.. Try wildlife division. I've even called DEC upstate areas before I hunted at times to get an idea for hunting locations.. It's always worth a try..

Ticks are a problem in some areas.. so check it out.

Be safe..

DEC has a large concentration of ECO in Suffolk. Any one of them would be more than happy to answer any questions that you may have. You can reach them via cell phone.

If you're ever interested in getting you your feet wet and "popping your hunting cherry" you're more than welcome to join some of us from NYC area when we go upstate for some small game.

Yea I'm definatly open minded about game. I'd love to he a nice buck but grabbing a turkey or something in the small game category seems challenging too and I love a challenge. Shawnhu- do you have hunting meets where you all meet up somewhere and trek from there? Seems like something I'd be interested in for sure no matter why the game!

Every game animal is different so they're hunted differently and provides different challenges. Small game is always a great intro because they're more common so you can learn about hunter faster. Different game animals also require different type of firearms. Make sure you have the appropriate firearms to match your game.

example:

crows/uplands birds - shotgun

squirrels - shotgun, 22LR, airguns

Edited by Elmo

Carbons2k, we do get together from time to time to socialize and to promote the sport and get newer hunters enjoying the woods and making sure what they're doing is safe.

We usually go after squirrels since they are a lot of fun and meets the criteria of still able to socialize in a group atmosphere. If you're interested, PM me your contact info and I'll keep you on the loop when we have our next outing.

It's been a couple of years but I had a good experience at a game reserve in Durham, on the northern slope of the catskills about an hour south of Albany. I was working a young dog on pheasants but they seem to offer most anything from a pheasant tower shoot to turkey to deer and were quite low key as a family farm type of operation. Might be an easy way to break into the sport and not waste alot of time trying to find land to hunt.

Bill

Whatever you do Carbon just try to sit back relax and enjoy the sport, the outdoors and the peace and quiet of the woods. Don't pressure yourself and think you have to shoot a "big buck" and find the right outfitter and spend thousands on all the gadgets you see on tv. This is not a tv show. Best thing you can do in my opinion is find a few buddies and/or family members and start a hunting tradition that you will enjoy for the rest of your life. So slow down and enjoy.

yes, I have a few different different firearms as well as slug and buck shot for my shotguns. I might need a new 22 since the one I have is an ar15-22.

Good luck with the hunting. I just wanted to point out that buckshot is illegal for deer hunting, but that'll all be in the regulations book.

...I can see some outfitters that you drag you to a spot that they had already scouted, sit you there, and then you shoot the deer when it walks by. This is shooting a deer. You won't learn anything about hunting this way...

LOL! I invited my gf to go fishing once, we never caught anything that day. She teases me when we're out with friends about it. I remind her that it's called 'fishing' not 'catching'. Though she's 'hooked' now that she caught a few mahi when we were down in Miami.

Sorry to stray off topic, I cannot add more than what's already been said. I find that studying & researching the prey & its' habits to be the most interesting part. Then apply what you've learned out in the field.

#1 Try to join a hunting club

#2 State land abounds in New York some areas close to the city sterling forest $5.00 charge for permit

stewart state land is about one and a half hours away both good spots to walk around and learn in off season about game . Keep in mind many wildlife habits change when they are hunted.

#3 Remember the #1 rule of gun saftey allways treat a gun as loaded untill you check for yourself and never point at anything you dont intend to shoot be sure of your target .

#4 Lake Minnewaska is in the new paltz area and you might try there also . Hope this helps ..Tony