annual squirrel hunt

Paula

He shoulda said that it must've eaten too much salt and was retaining water

Are there a lot of fox squirrels in your area ?

I've seen them, but never in NY...

Does anyone know their range in NY ?

I live in southern Steuben County, not far from the PA border. We have fox squirrels along the river bottoms , at least here in the Chemung/Tioga basin. They are not plentiful, but not rare..I have shot one and have seen some nice specimens roadkilled, always along the river bottoms. Al Strouse, of Strouse taxidermy, has a huge one mounted that he shot along the Tioga River near Lindley while we was duck hunting.

I have only seen them here in the higher elevations in one area. A place where I hunted spring gobblers last year, a hilltop oak grove near the PA border, had a colony of fox squirrels. I saw at least a half dozen there in a couple of mornings while I was gobbler hunting.

http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-the-petition-to-end-the-squirrel-slam#

I posted this under another topic but here is a petition to show support for the squirrel hunting event because a woman from Texas started another petition against the "murder" and "slaughter" of the squirrels. She has thousands of signatures from all over the U.S. These people think anyone especially kids hunting is wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard there will be a group of protesters, I imagine there will be more than 4 but I don't really know.I also was told there will be multiple police agencies providing security.I hope both sides behave.I think these people believe the squirrels are released and shot by kids and large groups of armed people,they are clueless.

In Holley????? OMG. I worked in Holley years ago by the car wash. I just might go up there, just to see this. Maybe hunters should organize a nice peaceful rally of their own.

Be a nice little fund raiser for the fire company. Maybe throw $10 into a hat for them.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Well my friend and I didn't find any squirrels or win anything but it was fun anyway.I saw people protesting and others supporting the event.I read one guy was arrested for harassing the protesters.I didn't have any problem walking to the firehall and once inside I didn't even know the protesters existed.I want to hunt more now thanks to these wacko anti-hunting zealots.

My friend ended up going and took his kid, a woman told him he was a bad parent, he told her "there is one cure for ignorance and and that's knowledge you dumb b*tch

The guy was arrested for threatening a protester. You can see on the news he said you only stand with so many so your not shot!