Hello from Turkey, Whitetail hunter in Allegany County

outdoorsman44

I have been hunting N.Y. and Pa. for whitetail for 7 yrs with pretty good success. I bow hunt and gun hunt. Best buck with the bow is a medium sized 8 point. My problem is with the gobblers. I have been trying for a spring gobbler for 3 yrs. No turkey yet! Mostly use box calls, and have had a couple close calls and lots of fun, but no bird. Any pointer are welcome. Thanks everyone, glad to join ya.

If turkey could smell, they'd likely be the hardest animal to hunt on earth. No shame in being fooled by those pea-brained birds. I know I have been.

The two best tips I can generally offer:

1. Call less. Most people overcall

2. Hunt woods when not raining, hunt fields when raining. (not perfect rule, but oftentimes a general rule to follow)

Welcome!

• Like 1

Welcome to the site. I hunt both whitetail and turkey in Allegany County too. A friend of mine has a place in Scio. Plenty of deer taken over the years but never a turkey. A few close calls but no success...I have to admit that we are more serious about deer than turkey...

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by WNY_Whitetailer

after 46 turkey kills, hunting them since i was 14, in three different states, i have to say " they still beat me more than i beat them". unlike humans, they are not predictable, but if i had one hard rule it would be to get between where he is and where he wants to go. scout, scout, scout, if possible, find out where he is going and how he gets there. another hard rule, especially in the mountains like in Allegany county,(killed my first NY bird in Almond), is to always be as high up the hill as possible when working a bird. welcome and good luck. plenty of help here.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum...

I lived for a couple of years in Whitesville, and in 1973, I got my first REPLY (gobble) from a gobbler near there...Didn't kill one until 1975, though...

I haven't hunted there in years, but I usually make it down to the Genessee around Shongo and Stannards to fly fish for trout a couple times a year..

Nice country...keep at the turkeys

Welcome to the site. I hunt Portville, Just outside of Cuba. Its a great area. As far as turkeys go, they can give you fits. I have had Toms come charging into me, like they wanted to get shot, and other times I had them hang up, shut up and disappear.

Stick with it and don't over call. Once a Tom answers me, and he sounds close, I generally will call to him one more tome, after about 10 seconds or so, then I shut up. If he continues to gobble, I just wait. If he has been quiet for more that about 20 minutes I do some soft clucks. This method has worked well for me over the years, but like any hunting .....who really knows?? Good luck.

Thanks to all for the great advice and replys. I'm not the give up type person. Its far to much fun trying to beat the gobbler. Besides, like all of you, I just like being out in the woods and fields. I will be back at it as soon as the spring season begins, and will remember everyones advice. I believe I am guilty of over calling. Maybe this year will be the year.

Never had any luck until I learned to use my own voice to call...now well I'm defrosting one of last season my birds for this weekend right now....

They like any animal like to get a drink in the morning...go in way early and quiet and set up between them and their morning drink...which calls for knowing where they are roosting....lots of times the will fly down to the high side when roosting in the hills ...BUT not always...when they fly down hill they will come back up hill in time...Control your scent just like deer hunting...spook the deer near by you've usually lost your birds as well...have Fun!!