Cost of Corn Plot???

corn is not 0 % nutritional value. it is low in protein, high in carbs(the ears that is) the young plant are eaten as well (14%protein) and face it if deer have large amout of fat reserve from carbs they come out of winter in better shape, when protein is important for antler growth. many of us are not antler growers. i leave at least 7 acre of corn every year and the deer are much healthier for it. especially in deep snows. thats why acorns are eaten like crazy high in carbs deer know what they need to make it through winter.... CARBS!!

Exactly what I was going to type out. There is a reason corn is a core food for farms.

As far as pricing for tilling and planting, check with Cornell Cooperative Extension. They breakdown the going rates for farm work. I'm thinking that the job you are looking to have done should cost you $250-$350 if you provide seed and fertilizer. Also don't forget to spray your crop.

So this is what I was thinking. The area for my plot is about 7 acres and I was thinking of doing a combo of corn, clover, chick magnet, and possibly soybeans. Let me know what you think and if you have any other suggestions for the layout of the plots. The smaller chick plot is an established food plot that has had clover planted in the past. Thanks

post-2742-0-32315300-1360810546_thumb.jp

not much activity on that seasonal road until your plot is full of deer. Thats the first thing I would work on is making a barrier between the poacher and your plot. Maybe plant corn around the edge of the road and leave it up. Then plant whatever else your thinking inside.

Get a permanent screen going ASAP. There are deer on a bag screen mixes available. Egyptian Wheat is one.

Given you have zero equipment, you're over thinking and over-planning yourself imo. If corn is what you want, to supplement the clover plot...

7 Acres? Cash rent the ground to the farm closest...let them plant corn on all 7, give them 5 for the service and require that they leave 2 standing next to the timber. Make sure the contract includes replenishing the soil.

Think about it...outside of planting the temp/permanent screen...you're effort is minimal and you can better spend your time scouting, prepping, etc. It'd be wonderful if you can block in a small section in the corner to plant a brassica/radish mix. That way you'd have the corn that is left up surrounding the brassica/radish and a clover plot next door. That's not too much work on your part...just gotta get the farmer to sign on the line. With the price of corn these days, 5 acres of corn should be enough to make it worth his while to plant/maintain the rest.

• Like 1

If you end up getting the equipment and time....this is what I would envision.

Blue is your screen line...plant the fast growing spruces. Then work in a line of screen grasses/EW, etc.

Yellow is corn...notice the way it is shaped. By doing this you prevent bucks from fully seeing the field, requiring them to navigate it whilst checking for does. You can get more elaborate than this, but it gives you an idea. Red dots are stand sites to take advantage of the the designed visibility, wind direciton, and the least intrusive entry/exit. I'm not a fan of hunting field edges, but this can be good for a few bow hunts and probably better for regular and late season with bang sticks if pressure is kept at a minimum.

Green are your clover/chicory mix plots. I assume you already have a stand in between those two plots.

Black should be some bedding grasses. They'll help screen you also should you need a stand further in the interior of the property and need to get in without deer on the field seeing you.

The remainder of the field should be looked into for radish/brassica/oats, etc...that will fill their stomachs throughout the year/season.

Don't think of crops as just providing food. Think about how they relate to structure, hunting, and forcing movement.

post-575-0-23509500-1360849623_thumb.jpg

Edited by phade

Geez, hope you got some money to besides the time and machinery. Phades plan would cost you a small fortune. :D

It won't cost you anything more than time over other plantings of the same seed.

People do it all the time.

post-575-0-19721600-1360932109_thumb.jpg

Edited by phade

I disagree with that....the trees can be bought through the DEC..Oh and I would do a double row...the pines/spruce in front then stagger something like a mix match of low growing crab apple with hazelnut...aronia...mulberry trees quince...all good branchy mast trees and shrub for deer and turkey....they will grow faster than the pines..

Also with the corn I'd have it line both road fronts...It only takes one chatty mailman and every body will know whats on your place

Now costs........ Phades plan could be done using the $11.00 a bag feed corn that I use...that's if you have no intentions of selling it...the clover and chicory could be bought through Welters pretty in expensively...lime could be had at a lower cost due to accessibility...ag lime could be truck spread....Then the other expense would be fertilizer...on the annuals crop rotation which is a must would also help cut fertilizer cost......... the clover/chicory would only need a 0-20-20 ......As the road barriers grow the corn could be rotated out and or done now using something like power plant with a tad more corn added to it... lots of ways to cut costs...If he had a dairy farm near.. checking into a winter liquid manure spread...farmers have strict guide lines on how much they can spread on a field....some times having more ground is good for them....All above and here....just good ideas to rattle around and pick and choose from.... ;)

(sp)

Edited by growalot

• 2 weeks later...

post-2742-0-60536200-1361641558_thumb.jp

After taking everyones input this is what I think I want to do on the property.....

Lime Green Line= White Spruce. Norweigan Spruce

Blue LIne= Egyptian Wheat Line

Yellow Line= Line of Corn

Yellow Polygon= Corn

Green Polygon= Clover/Chicory

Orange Polygon= Brassicas/ Winter Green

Let me know what you guys think and if you would add/change anything.

id would make the corn cross the centerline of field so deer can staand at on end and look down the middle, make it reach far enought across field so you can get a bow shot from opposite tree line, when deer round the corner of corn.

I don't I am understanding what you mean do you think you can draw it on the Arial Map??