Rifle ranges on Long Island?

burmjohn

hey john.

I cant speak about calverton but ive been to brooklhaven and I can say that i had a good experience there.

safety is as it should be No. 1 priority , the guys around there are all knowledgeable and will help you if you have any questions ..

wasnt too crowded when i went ..  and not too far from parking area to bench..

• 1 month later...

There is no doubt Brookhaven is nicer.

But I like Calverton better. I go on non-prime times though. Don't know why I like it better...It is pretty crappy. lol.

If you go to Calverton, bring your own rest, or sandbags, and stapler, targets, etc.

Back when I lived in Sayville (23yrs ago) I shot at Calverton.I liked it.I don't know if Bhaven was even around back then.The Calverton bench' were a nice fit for me.I've only shot at one range up here but the seat to bench height relationship was awful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

geno when was the last time you went to calverton,that nice old german woman passed away at leats 2 years ago

seriously? lol

i was there last june and she was alive and well.... talking about the guys from bklyn always bringing her pastries... someonels tried to say she passed away over 2 years ago but i went there last june with a buddy to sight in my 270 and she was deff there! i verified this with the guy i went with. thats werid...

no i think your right, i think she passed away. but since the guy told me about this i thought i was going crazy lol. because she was there last year in the beginning of the year when i went. how long ago were you there when they told you? shes was pretty funny, if you stayed on the right side of her.

I tell you the range that I miss is the one that used to be in the town of Huntington.  They closed down a few years ago after being there forever.  For hunters living around NYC, that was a short drive.  Now the closest one is about 3 times as far way out on the Island.  Not many places left to shoot high powered weapons in the NYC, Long Island area.

The town of Huntington range was off rt 110 a couple of mile south of the LIE.  A rocks throw away from American Outdoors sports store and where the old Edelman's sporting goods store used to be.  I think the range closed about 3 years ago.  I used to shoot there quit a bit in my younger years, but now other commitments have me shooting only during deer season at deer and that's pretty much it.  Not having any ranges close by doesn't help matters either.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I usually go brookhaven, for the safety factor,but your limited to shooting from the bench. Great for zeroing in, testing round workups, but I haven't seen a bench in the hunting woods yet. Avoid on weekends if possible though, crowded.

I think you might be out of luck to find something within an hour.  Brookhaven might be your best option.  Going over the bridges into NJ or Westchester/Rockland areas will end up being more time with the bridge traffic.  That is why I miss the old Huntington range.  It was less than 30 miles from NYC.  Shooters are being pushed into the boonies, that is for sure!