Anyone use Gopro Hero 3 Camera?

So I was at Target this morning picking up office supplies and I heard a tiny voice in my head saying "Go look at the Gopro cameras", so like an idiot I walked over and started looking at it. I played around with the demo and read reviews online on my phone. At the counter was a tech repair guy fussing around with the registers. As I'm talking to the salesgirl and telling her I planned on using the camera to video my entire hunt, this techie guy chimes in: "Hey I'm a hunter too! where do you hunt? We chatted for a bit and he even suggested to go on Cabelas site and get a gun mount for the camera. Really nice guy! Although he primarily uses bow. 30 mins later I walked out with the camera. After playing around with the camera a few minutes ago, I'm hooked on using this to film my hunts. Crisp, clear videos in HD 1080p. This is what i've been looking at for a while and I'm glad I pulled the trigger. After opening up a Red Card, I got the Gopro Hero 3 in white (although it looks silver to me), and a tripod mount for $207. Saved $10 with the card. Can't wait to test it out come May 1st!

Not impressed, my buddy has the black version with the optional LCD screen. In the cold goose hunting his battery lasted around 7 minutes...hopefully he got a dud.

I was thinking about that too. But with my regular camcorder I rubberband one of the hot hand warmers to the battery and cover it with a spare wool hat until I'm ready to film. It works to keep the battery warm. Not sure if that will work with the gopro but we shall see next deer season. Nevertheless they have videos of people snowboarding and skiing. So its gotta work in cold temps.

Edited by Deerthug

I have the go pro 2 , not as nice as the 3 when it comes to setting up the camera and making adjustments . My favorite video so far is the one my girlfriend and i took in Paradox lake , we went out with the scuba masks and a fishing pole and filmed fish striking our bait underwater.

• Like 1

I was thinking about that too. But with my regular camcorder I rubberband one of the hot hand warmers to the battery and cover it with a spare wool hat until I'm ready to film. It works to keep the battery warm. Not sure if that will work with the gopro but we shall see next deer season. Nevertheless they have videos of people snowboarding and skiing. So its gotta work in cold temps.

Somehow the camera heats the battery, has a battery warmer. However I would assume it has to be on for that to happen...My buddy actually kept his in his coat until we first used it. So i believe he has a technical problem rather than a cold problem. Hopefully they have fixed the problems, I would assume that you have waited long enough for the issues to be resolved. They look sweet can't wait to see yours in action.

I had a tough time deciding between the GoPro and the Contour ROAM. I went with Contour instead because I won't be wearing a helmet and didn't want this antenna looking device sticking out of my forehead. The Contour picture quality isn't as great as the GoPro but I think it's more comfortable to wear. Unfortunately they haven't made a hunting mount that fits my needs. They have a picatanny mount but the only rifle i have that has a side picatanny rail is my 17HMR.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am also looking into a camera to film my hunts!!  I have been checking out the Go Pro, Contour and a few others.  It doesn't seem like any of these types of cameras have a zoom function.  Is that accurate?  H

How has the GoPro 3 been working our for you??  I'm looking for some opinions on camera

So far it's been good. No problems. Battery life is Ok. Not the best but Ok.  Used it to film time lapse and part of my hunt on May 1st. No zoom but I have another handheld I use for that. 

Do you have the remote?  That seems like a necessity when you have the camera attached to your head or anywhere else.  Just seems so much easier to have a butting near your hand where you can turn the recording on and off, so any one I get, this is a must have.