looking for some advice....

tuckersdaddy

Our local gun club is looking to put in an indoor shooting range, and we are looking for suggestion on paying for it over the long term. for years we have always made it an affordable to be members at $35 a year membership, gives you acssess to 100yd, 300yrd shooting range, fishing pond, 2 trap fields and a skeet range. (you pay $4 a round on trap and skeet). Now how do other clubs charge for and how much for use of an indoor pistol, rimfire rifle,and archery range? is it part of the dues? a fee as used? any advice would be appreciated!

• Like 1

My club is $70 a year (I think) and I've never shot skeet or trap so don't know if it costs more.  You'll obviously need to increase annual membership costs and maybe have a range fee for the indoor range for the first 5 years or something similar.  Maybe host some competitive shoots to raise help with the monthly mortgage on the addition.

I'd think the costs of air handling and spent bullet management on a new building would be astronomical in this day an age of OSHA, EPA etc.

Have you gotten prices yet?

yep we are past that part of the planning stage. we had some donations and savings to get us where we are now. its not so much the building, and system costs its the week to week operations that were looking to get paid. we have a strong membership thats partlly do to the affordability of a membership, so we dont want to get to out of line on pricing if we pass the expense over everyone. a pay to use system seems to have some support. was just curious if other clubs do it this way, and what the rates are.

the town had a pistol team when they could still shoot in the school basement, so im sure that will get a new life. we rent our current room and outdoor range for concealed carry classes that creates some revenue. just curious if other clubs go one way or the other or a cross of both?

Our local gun club is looking to put in an indoor shooting range, and we are looking for suggestion on paying for it over the long term. for years we have always made it an affordable to be members at $35 a year membership, gives you acssess to 100yd, 300yrd shooting range, fishing pond, 2 trap fields and a skeet range. (you pay $4 a round on trap and skeet). Now how do other clubs charge for and how much for use of an indoor pistol, rimfire rifle,and archery range? is it part of the dues? a fee as used? any advice would be appreciated!

If you have a local chapter of Friends of NRA, apply for a grant, lots of paperwork but they will pay for it. We did that in Hyde Park and it worked out just fine. Your club needs to do a min of 3 public events (e.g. Women on target, Hunting class, NRA pistol class, etc.) and your club will be eligible. Check the websites....

http://www.friendsofnra.org/National.aspx?cid=9

• Like 1

Start an indoor league and twice a week invite everyone, non members and all, to come and shoot. One night shoot archery, I pay $5 a night for a Vegas 450. The other night shoot pistol. though I'm not sure how much to charge for that. Like many others I have no desire to join a club. I'm fortunate enough to have 300 acres to shoot and access to 1000 acres to hunt so I have no reason to spend 50 bucks a year to shoot, however I enjoy shooting indoor archery and would gladly shoot in the league for a small fee.

Starting pistol leagues will raise money.. usually members shoot indoor ranges free with dues... guests pay range fee... get a bucket for brass to be sold later for scrap... use outdoor ranges for special shoots to raise money during the year... smaller, low dues clubs have to get really creative if you want to continue to have a lot to do at the club with such inexpensive dues... we do a winter muzzleloader league to raise about $400 bucks each year...

• 4 weeks later...

$4 per shot?!? thats gonna be over 5000.00 per trip to the range