sighting in my bow...Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

20ftupatree

I did the stupidest thing I can friggen think of!!!! I went to my local shop yesterday and I found a cobra sight on clearance $10.00 WHAT A FIND!!!! so I bought it. It was in original package untampered, put it on my bow and went to sight it in .................i'm on the target but every adjustment I make seems to go different. My pin sights I had took me 2 shots per pin to sight in and I was on my mark. I can't get this one with in 5 inches of the bullseye. what the F is going on?

Does it by chance have plastic pins/threads? I am thinking of a sight bracket that has plastic parts, which can cause the parts to move around and be nearly impossible to sight in...simular to this one here. My wife's bow came with one and she has had problems with one pin staying put.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=429333&aID=503AB3&cID=FROOGLE_429333

That or its just you.haha

its a very risky endeavor to make changes on your bow or gun for that matter SO close to hunting season... changes like that i would save for after the season and go with what works for the time being...

goodluck with sorting that problem out and i hope you do!  :D

iT'S ALL PLASTIC MOUNT HOUSING AND PINS!!! Sorry bout caps lock. anyways I've NEVER seen a daintier piece of junk than this cobra sight! I know I know I know I shouldn't have done this season is already underway for me here in the NZ my bow was dead nuts and I've wanted to put a fiber sight on it but never wanted spend the money, saw this one and like I said usually it's 2-3 arrows make an adjustment 2-3 more adjust and it's money. I only use 2 pins anyways so I figured ahhhhh 10-12 arrows I'm all done, I'm gonna put the metal pins back on now.

OOOOOOh ya great day now for WHATEVER reason....my quiver won't hold my new arrows anymore! I bought new ones for the new season because the fletchings on my others were shot so i switched to a "better" arrow (so says my bow shop) they are nice no complaints of the arrow. I have been using these for the last week or better in the same quiver I had NOW it's like the part that holds the shaft is worn enough or something every time I fire the bow it spits one out!

The quiver issue is probally due to a slightly smaller diameter arrow, I'm guessing carbon right?. Where are you located, I have two quiver's that I have no need for and you are welcome to one. The quivers also came with the new bow's my wife and I each got last year.

To get a decent sturdy sight it will run you about $40 minimum, at least you know exactaly what to look for when you do replace it in the future.

As they say, when it rains it pours. I believe your equipment is out to get ya.

AND now it's pouring .......literally raining cats and dogs outside. You can't make this stuff up. 

ny.....you're right! Last year opening morning, I checked all my gear the night before..READY to go! I get out of my truck grabbed my bow and pack and started heading into the woods. As I get a few yards in I nock an arrow and it hits my hand!? I look down and my rest is broken clean off! BROKEN OFF! could not believe it. I never use to carry my bow in a case, I DO however store it off season in a case, but in my truck during hunting season it's not, why I don't really know. Long story short I had to wait for my bow shop to open buy another rest and spend the rest of morning fiddling with that. Got in the woods around 1 PM if I recall.

Doe I am in Whitehall, No biggie but I do appreciate the offer sincerely, I have a bow shop 5 minutes away it's just crazy how s#!t happens!

Damn you are making me paranoid now. I was frerakin out when my shots were flying high left over the weekend. Due to my being new to the sport, I ran to my local shop. Thankfully all I needed was an adjustment since he said my bow strings stretched??? They were new last year but he said that is pretty common with matthews strings??? 

Your early suffering can only be rewarded 20ft!

I gotta think theres something going on with the way you are shooting. Face it, basically, a sight is a sight, its just pins that you line up with your peep (you do shoot a peep right?). Last year I made some changes to my setup and tried to make some improvements to my form. My groups went from nice and tight to all over the place. I went to my local proshop and the owner took me out to the range to watch me shoot. Turned out I had a bad case of target panic. I was changing up my anchor points, etc and grabbing the grip differently. He taught me a little trick. He had me stand 10 or 15 feet from a large bag target, draw, then close my eyes and hit the release. He told me to anchor the bow by feeling the points (corner of mouth, under the ear, etc) instead of looking at things. He then popped a kisser button on my bow and between that and shooting with my eyes closed, I was able to calm things down and get back on track.

Now, I personally wouldnt shoot a plastic sight. If you want a fiber sight, wait till after the season is over and buy a decent one. Tru Glo makes good sights and you can get good deals on the basic ones. I bought my old Tru Glo for @ $30 about 5 years ago. I recently upgraded and put it on my fiance's bow, it still works great. For now, Id put your old sight back on and use it for the rest of the season.

Just my 2 cents

I gotta think theres something going on with the way you are shooting. Face it, basically, a sight is a sight, its just pins that you line up with your peep (you do shoot a peep right?). Last year I made some changes to my setup and tried to make some improvements to my form. My groups went from nice and tight to all over the place. I went to my local proshop and the owner took me out to the range to watch me shoot. Turned out I had a bad case of target panic. I was changing up my anchor points, etc and grabbing the grip differently. He taught me a little trick. He had me stand 10 or 15 feet from a large bag target, draw, then close my eyes and hit the release. He told me to anchor the bow by feeling the points (corner of mouth, under the ear, etc) instead of looking at things. He then popped a kisser button on my bow and between that and shooting with my eyes closed, I was able to calm things down and get back on track.

Now, I personally wouldnt shoot a plastic sight. If you want a fiber sight, wait till after the season is over and buy a decent one. Tru Glo makes good sights and you can get good deals on the basic ones. I bought my old Tru Glo for @ $30 about 5 years ago. I recently upgraded and put it on my fiance's bow, it still works great. For now, Id put your old sight back on and use it for the rest of the season.

Just my 2 cents

Well turns out you win!!!! I had my father in law come over and watch me, he took a piece of thread and marked the string (kisser) then fired and repeated, with this "new" bow I just got from him the draw and handling is way different than I was used with the whitetail hunter I shot last year. By the time I shot a dozen arrows I had 8 different pieces of thread on the string! I have it straightened out now .... shot and shot and shot found my spot and put a kisser on. Now I'm consistent with my draw anyways. sights are sighted in and dead on! quiver has been replaced, and I'm practicing every chance I get with this bow.

Just my 2 cents

Well turns out you win!!!! I had my father in law come over and watch me, he took a piece of thread and marked the string (kisser) then fired and repeated, with this "new" bow I just got from him the draw and handling is way different than I was used with the whitetail hunter I shot last year. By the time I shot a dozen arrows I had 8 different pieces of thread on the string! I have it straightened out now .... shot and shot and shot found my spot and put a kisser on. Now I'm consistent with my draw anyways. sights are sighted in and dead on! quiver has been replaced, and I'm practicing every chance I get with this bow.

Glad to hear you got it figured out!