Are swamps dangerous?

G-Hunter

A few years back I went into a swamp in Putnam county with a shotgun and a backpack in the dark after duck. I was headed to a particular spot where I could get out of the muck by sitting on a downed tree using my gps. Wearing chest waders, my right foot went deep into the muck - up to my knee. When I couldn't get any leverage I began to panic and worked up a serious sweat. I didn't want to dip my gun nor did I want to fall over. After a period of time I calmed down since I realized if I just stood still the situation wasn't getting any worse. I finally got my foot out by slowly shifting it and giving the muck time to fill in under the boot. When I was finally out the sun had risen and I was physically and emotionally spent, so I just walked out and got some breakfast at a local dinner and headed home early. I never told my wife that story or she would give me a hard time going out alone.

Daaaamn.  That's some scary shit my friend.  I've seen videos of people getting stuck in that muck and the more they try to get out of it the deeper they get, people have even died this way.  Thank God you were able to get out of that crap, if I ever happen to get into that kind of situation I'll do what you did and stay calm.  Thanks for the insight...

G-Hunter,

What I call a beaver run is an underwater trail in relatively shallow water. I used to hit them once in awhile when I ran hounds. Just like I said, you are minding your own business walking along, and in one step you drop down an extra foot or two. Then, to top it off, you stumble up the other side of the run and get even wetter.

No doubt, I'll keep an eye out for those.  Thanks Coon.

If you can...Listen for automobiles as well. Look at a map on-line and plan your trip. Start slow and pick a small section and learn it. Then continue on to another section. Bring something to cut branches or other things out their. Make a path and stick to it. Tie orange markers on branches to help you get in and out all the time. Leave notes on them witha sharpy. Hope this helps. Walked many swamps in Oswego county. They are fun but have been swimming not to my liking. Good luck and keep us posted.

Yeah I don't have a GPS nor can I afford one this year so I'll take your advice and mark my trail going in, and follow that right back out.  The sharpy idea is smart as well.  Very helpful!

By the way, is the myth true about waders causing you to drown if they get filled with water?  I've always wondered...

The ponds and canals are simply barriers that keep you from traveling a straight line. They are very obvious as the areas around them are lined with the dredgings that were piled up to form banks. There is no way that you could accidentally step into them unless you are trying to travel at night. Also, around these canals and ponds, the muskrats have pretty thoroughly undermined the banks at the waters edge and what may look like solid dry ground, may cave away under your weight. 

Actually, these dredged out areas are good places to regain your bearings because the banks are elevated and give you a view from above the cattails of surrounding landmarks. What these features do pose is an interuption to maintaining a straight line of travel to maintain. That makes compass use a bit frustrating, because you have to do a lot of twisting and turning to get around these things. Some of those canals are quite long and irregular in shape. Maybe a GPS unit might be more useful. If you plan on going out in an area like this, I would suggest a good detailed aerial map might make planning such a trip a whole lot easier.

Thanks for the heads up on the muskrat "traps".  I'll bring a probing stick with me and slam it down on the future ground I track over, hopefully that'll prevent any collapses.  I use google earth to get a good idea of what the area looks like, and then mark my entry points accordingly.  Printing a copy out and bringing it with me on foot wouldn't be a bad idea actually... thanks Doc!

• 5 months later...

Forget everything except for the contour of the bottom and watch how and where you step.. In marshes you can go from gravel to silt,muck. rotten logs and then the beaver runs (Beaver basically dig a channel  from 3-5 ft deep about 3 feet wide to get around in deep water. No warning just a significant bath which can be quite invigorating when you have to walk a mile back to the barn when it's 5+)  Some swamps are gravel/ soft mud, then you have the occasional underground springs which can be quite soft.(almost lost an excavator trying to enlarge that wet spot)  Just be careful you will survive.  A change of clothes in the car couldn't hurt. 

A few years ago I was hunting some wet lands around a river up north. I came to what looked like a natural ridge or raise in the land.

I went up and over it and on the far side sunk up to my diaphragm in mud.

Was pretty scary... ended up having to use my rifle laid flat in front of me as a plank to kinda lay on to get my legs free.

Cell service in the area sucked so not sure what I'd have done if that didn't work.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Speaking of swamps I am hunting a new 70 acre property this year with two swamps on it. It will be the first time I am ever hunting a swamp. I put a tree stand right along the edge but I am nervouse if I shoot a deer it might head into the swamp and I am not to keen on the idea of going in after it lol. Check it out.

post-639-0-73235500-1382019965_thumb.jpg

post-639-0-87320200-1382020033_thumb.jpg

From the age of 11, I trapped around and in swamps and survived to tell about it. That's not to say that you can be foolish when walking around in a swamp. There are features hidden under water. Slippery mud can put you into water over your head before you know it. When submerged creekbeds are totally under water and not all that obvious, slow things down and move with extreme caustion. Hip boots/waders can fill with water and put you into an "un-swimable" condition.

Boots can get stuck in the mud so tight you can't move your legs. Snakes were never a concern for me (western NY). Beavers can make some pretty treacherous features that can't always be seen. Underwater ditches, pot-holes, etc. I have also seen under-water entrances for bank-beavers that had some rather thin ceilings on them. So a cave-in along the creekbed might all of a sudden slide you into water over your head.

I have been in situations that I wasn't completely sure I was going to get out of, so some common sense and a cautious attitude can help keep you out of trouble but with no guarantees. I always had a walking stick to probe ahead of me when I wasn't sure of what was there. I also kept all my movements down to careful un-hurried and thought out progress.

In our swamp, there was always a time of the year when you had to exercise a lot of extra caution. In the spring time, sudden thaws could elevate creeks and make surrounding swamp lands extra deep. There was even some parts of the swamp that actually developed a pretty severe current. Ice that was previously safe could develop soft thin spots overnight. In a race to save some of my traps that were in danger of washing out, there were a few times when I may not have used the best judgement.... lol.

Just use your head and recognize that there are a few dangers there that you won't find on high and dry land, and you will probably do all right. But like I said, there are no guarantees.

Not much more can be added. Well said. Fall is generally a little safer in terms of water levels and critters. Scariest moment for me was a creek and near a beaver dam that let go. Sucked me down and under the canoe and over. Instant current rush

The rope idea is pretty smart actually, how would you set this up?  

Tie it around a tree then just keep tension on it as you wade out into the swamp?  Or would you actually tie it around your waist instead of just holding it?  Thanks man

Tie it around your ankles so if you sink you can just grab it and pull yourself out by the feet. ;)