Setup Time

phade

Sunrise is 6:05 here for Wednesday. We were chatting about when to meet, etc. and we discussed how different some people are when getting set up. Some are early and some are as dawn is starting to filter through. I supposed a ton of it is where you set up in relation to the birds and their travels.

it really depends,

opening day, I know where a big bird roosts, and where he flyes down into a feild, in order to set up without being seen, I need to be there by 4:30and setup by 5:00 and hope for no moon

if I'm hunting big woods, I can get there 30 min before sunrise, wait until they start talking, and setup

the nice thing about big o'l gobblers they normally roost in the same spot

set up time usually depends on if I was able to roost one the night before. If I know about where they are roosted I can sneak in in the dark and get close. If I'm going in blind I have no choice but to listen for gobbles and run to get close and set up. Obviously I prefer the 1st scenario  but can't always drive to my spot the night before, so I have no choice but to get up early and set up as best I can. Either way it is always better than going to work.! 

set up time usually depends on if I was able to roost one the night before. If I know about where they are roosted I can sneak in in the dark and get close. If I'm going in blind I have no choice but to listen for gobbles and run to get close and set up. Obviously I prefer the 1st scenario  but can't always drive to my spot the night before, so I have no choice but to get up early and set up as best I can. Either way it is always better than going to work.! 

same here for me. depends a ton on if i was able to roost a bird or not. 

Thank heavens it rained...nice and quiet rt now.....The Jake showed up again...I've looked and looked since 11:30...and I can only see him...he's making no sound ...but is wondering around out there in the same general area all fanned out and puffed up...lol   I'll see if I can get a pic...

I'll be taking my son out and we'll be setup within 50-100 yards of where the turkeys roost, IF they are in the area. Being so close to the roost, we'll be in the woods, all setup by no later than 5:00am (They've started gobbling at 5:30 recently). Need to sneak in under the cover of darkness, while the turkeys are still snoozin'! I went out last week and cleared a path of leaves from the field to our brush blind, to cut down on some noise while walking in.