What about shooting Jakes?

sits in trees

I try to hold out for a gobbler but....ive shot jakes before. I feel no shame in it. But my scenario now is that the gobbler i shot yesterday had two gobbler buddies with him. If i can get another crack at them then jakes in the area get a free pass!

Edited by TeeBugg

I'm not picky when it comes to turkey. Probably because I'm nowhere as near as good of a turkey hunter as I am a deer hunter. I also hunt turkey more for enjoyment rather than the challenge of bowhunting deer. If a jake pokes his head out, he's eating 2 ounces of #5 or 6. I also have marginal turkey ground access.

• Like 1

We don't have many turkeys at all in my area and haven't for ~10 years now. I choose to save what few we do have, for my kids (13 & 17) to hunt, so I don't to shoot any. I don't even carry a gun myself when I take them out. I get wayyyyyy more pleasure calling the gobblers in for them and seeing them get their turkeys, than I would shooting one myself anyway. That said, considering what we have available, blast away at the jakes!

Being that i have yet to fill any turkey tags, period, I would take a Jake.  Need to have my tags start paying for themselves.  Wife thinks this is a expensive hobby that keeps me out of the house.

So far I have 1 very expensive pheasant for the 2012/2013 hunting season.

Being that i have yet to fill any turkey tags, period, I would take a Jake. Need to have my tags start paying for themselves. Wife thinks this is a expensive hobby that keeps me out of the house.

So far I have 1 very expensive pheasant for the 2012/2013 hunting season.

Thats how my fiance was starting to get. No turkeys or deer last 2 seasons. She was wondering if i did it just to get away from her lol....luckliy i connected on thursday and she gave me my man card back!