Impossible to get a new gun in nyc

I live in Staten Island and I am in the market to purchase a new rifle and shotgun. I have been to all my local guys that I used to deal with for some of my other purchases and everybody has become ignorant. Either they have no comprehension of the new laws and are afraid to do any business or they think they no the new laws but in reality have no clue and wont sell me what I want. The ignorance and attitudes that I have been given by any nyc dealers is unbelievable. They wont accept a transfer from an outside source and accept delivery as my FFL dealer. To do a private transfer for a private sale they want over a $100 and by law they are not allowed to charge more than $10 so when you tell them that they say they are not interested in doing the transfer. Now obviously I can go upstate and I am sure it would be a bit easier but this sucks that I cant get a gun anymore at home. Anybody else experiencing this non-sense????

P.S. I am not looking for anything crazy. I am looking for a Remington 700 Anniv. Edition and a Remington nitro mag tactical pump shotgun.

What I cant figure out is why these guys as dealers wouldnt properly educate themselves and why the hell are they turning people away instead of trying to help them. For godsake these guys are the ones that are supposed to properly learn the laws this way they can help their customers. It has become insanity. I swear I almost punched one guy in the face for the way he spoke to me instead of trying to properly help me or just tell me he is not interested in doing any business at this time.

the $10 fee was set for a background check...right? A transfer fee was not in that #.

Correct. They are not supposed to charge you a transfer fee for a private sale. Just a $10 fee for the background check but apparently they dont have to do it if they dont want to so basically it is pay what they say or they wont do it at all.

Correct. They are not supposed to charge you a transfer fee for a private sale. Just a $10 fee for the background check but apparently they dont have to do it if they dont want to so basically it is pay what they say or they wont do it at all.

Well, they can charge whatever they want and call it a transfer fee, they just cant charge more than $10 for the background check.

Well, they can charge whatever they want and call it a transfer fee, they just cant charge more than $10 for the background check.

Thats correct. They can charge whatever they want for a transfer. However if a private sale is conducted the only thing the FFL dealer has to do is a background check. They do not do any transfer. The seller and the buyer must handle all of that and submit any necessary registration forms.

Not just gunshops...even the law enforcement officers and those who specifically deal with firearms don't even know the law properly.  I bought a muzzleloader last fall and I keep trying to register it.  It keeps getting rejected.  Last one with no explanation.  So I got frustrated and decided to call into their office.  This is exact the conversation.

Me: "I'm trying to register a muzzleloader but it keeps getting rejected.  Can someone let me know why it's getting rejected so I can have it properly registered?

LEO: "Does it hold 5 rounds or 7 rounds?"

Me: "Umm...it's a muzzleloader."

LEO: "I know.  How many rounds can it hold?  5 or 7?"

Me: "Umm...technically, I guess it hold just one?  It's a muzzleloader."

LEO: "Huh?  What do you mean technically?"

Me: "It's a muzzleloader.  You know?  Like those old civil war antique guns where you pour the powder down the barrel and jam the bullet down with a rod type of gun?"

LEO: "Oh!  Oh.  Ummm...Hmmm...can you call back on Monday and ask for Officer Evans?"

PS: This was last week.

Edited by Elmo

Not just gunshops...even the law enforcement officers and those who specifically deal with firearms don't even know the law properly.  I bought a muzzleloader last fall and I keep trying to register it.  It keeps getting rejected.  Last one with no explanation.  So I got frustrated and decided to call into their office.  This is exact the conversation.

Me: "I'm trying to register a muzzleloader but it keeps getting rejected.  Can someone let me know why it's getting rejected so I can have it properly registered?

LEO: "Does it hold 5 rounds or 7 rounds?"

Me: "Umm...it's a muzzleloader."

LEO: "I know.  How many rounds can it hold?  5 or 7?"

Me: "Umm...technically, I guess it hold just one?  It's a muzzleloader."

LEO: "Huh?  What do you mean technically?"

Me: "It's a muzzleloader.  You know?  Like those old civil war antique guns where you pour the powder down the barrel and jam the bullet down with a rod type of gun?"

LEO: "Oh!  Oh.  Ummm...Hmmm...can you call back on Monday and ask for Officer Evans?"

PS: This was last week.

He may have thought you were talking about a weapon like a black powder revolver. Very disheartening that those being asked to enforce a law don'[t understand it. Part of me really wonders if the confusion is by design.

He may have thought you were talking about a weapon like a black powder revolver. Very disheartening that those being asked to enforce a law don'[t understand it. Part of me really wonders if the confusion is by design.

Wouldn't be.  I was calling the shotgun/rifle division.  If they thought it was a revolver they would/should have directed me to the conceal carry office.

After speaking with an officer who knew more about the law, she said I'm missing the bill of sale which is not to be confused with a receipt which was what I was sending in.  All firearm purchases contains a bill of sale.  I called Gander Mountain and asked for a copy of the bill of sale.  Gander Mountain told me that bill of sales does not exists for muzzleloaders so they didn't know what to do.  After some discussion with a manager at Gander, they came up with the idea of using an off-line bill of sale.  Basically a hand written form that they use when their computer systems goes down.  Hopefully, NYC will accept this off-line bill of sale.

All this confusion is when one jurisdiction does thing one way and another jurisdiction does things another way and the two jurisdictions don't consider the potential conflicts that might arise from the different systems.

Making things extremely difficult, confusing and forcing  people jump through hoops is what these low lives wanted when this sham of a bill was designed. They're hoping that a certain amount of people will just say "the hell with it" and not go through the hassle of buying a gun. I know its a pain but don't give them the satisfaction. Take a day trip upstate if you have to. Im upstate and although the selection isn't what it use to be, you can still find a 700 or an 870 in most gun stores. Good luck.

Making things extremely difficult, confusing and forcing  people jump through hoops is what these low lives wanted when this sham of a bill was designed. They're hoping that a certain amount of people will just say "the hell with it" and not go through the hassle of buying a gun. I know its a pain but don't give them the satisfaction. Take a day trip upstate if you have to. Im upstate and although the selection isn't what it use to be, you can still find a 700 or an 870 in most gun stores. Good luck.

Aboslutely. I will drive to the northern most tip of NY if I have to. It just makes you mad that they put out these laws and you try to abide by them and then you have poor results.

This is what my local dealer posted the other day he got in

Shock Wave 4LB exploding targets
* Bulldog vault digital safe 8.75" x 13.75" x 9.75"
* Ruger SR1911 8rd magazines
* Chip McCormick 1911 8rd magazine
* Ruger 1911 7 rd magazine
* Ruger mini 14 five rd magazine
* Pro Mag Beretta 96 ten rd magazine
* S&W M&P .40 ten rd mag
* Estate 12 ga 2-3/4" 00 buckshot / box 25 # 9 pellets
* Henry Golden Boy .22 lr SKU H004

* S&W M&P 40C .40 S&W 3.5" bbl
* Walther P22 .22 LR 3.42" bbl
* Walther PK380 .380 ACP 3.66" bbl
* Beretta Model M9 9mm 4.9" bbl
* Taurus Model 1911 .45 ACP 5" bbl / blue
* Taurus Model 1911 9mm 5" bbl / SS
* Glock Model 30 .45 ACP 3.8" bbl Gen 4
* Glock Model 39 .45 GAP 3.46" bbl / GLOCK RE-BUILT

WE HAVE ABOUT 100 HANDGUNS IN STOCK RIGHT NOW

It has an extended ported choke

There has been discussions lately regarding the legality of 870's and likeness. Apparently there is concussion , add in a ported choke which could be seen as a muzzle break.... Who knows!!!