Egg Stealing SOB's......................

Lawdwaz

So I'm just coming up to the edge of a big plowed field, I glance out for a quick scan of the field and see a fox.  I slide over to the woods and stand next to a big tree. 

The fox is on a mission and starts heading my way in a hurry.  I pull out my Iphone and flip it to the video mode.  As he/she gets closer I hit the switch to record (or so I thought!) and as it got nearer I saw it had an egg in its mouth.  The fox gets withing 10 feet and spots me.  Game over, drop the egg and beat feet!!

I then notice that I did not hit the record button.  Damnnnnnnnnnnnn!

I walked over to the still unbroken TURKEY egg and snap a picture.  Well, that's one turkey that ain't gonna make it now.

Mother Nature sure has things worked out......................................

null_zps6b1485d5.jpg

(That's a 3.5" 12ga shell for perspective)

nice adventure you had.; sorry the cam wasn't on. that happened to me last year while arrowing a TOM.

while were on the subject of animals eating eggs; what about these attempts to control goose populations by "oiling eggs". Are the fox , raccoon, mink, etc going to try and eat those eggs? now wouldn't that have more negative effects than what the original goal was.?  

I saw a turkey egg shell lying in the woods a couple of days ago..Obviously the work of a nest predator..

Still, foxes get a pass from me in the spring....I've seen several litters of fox kits in the woods over the years and I just don't like the idea of dooming them to starvation because I shot thier momma..

I was up at my place this weekend. Two weekends ago we saw a litter of fox pups. I went back yesterday to see how they were and found the place empty. I looked into the hole and there lay a dead pup. It was a good size all curled up but no sign of life.