New here! Question about shotgun scopes!

Hello folks! First time hunter here. I'm going to hunt in Dutchess County which is shotgun/muzzleloader territory. I bought a Mossberg 500 12ga combo (cantilever rifled slug barrel and field barrel) a few months ago. It came with a 2.5x20 scope and I would like a higher powered scope. Recommendations?  This is the best that I've came across yet.  http://www.bushnell.com/products/sco...banner/713947/ Bushnell 3-9x40 with 6" eye relief. Any experiences? I want to spend around $75.

Care to share your experiences a bit and where you went for deer? I have my small game needs covered and I do have a few sports on private land to hunt big and small game but I'd like to try some state land for deer and turkey as well. I appreciate it thanks.

There's only one DEP place in Dutchess county. Ulster has many properties. In the dutchess property the best way to hunt it is to talk to all the neighbors that border the lands, see who will let you park your car in their yard and walk on the DEP lands. We have taken 3 does and a six pointer on the property. You have to scout and see what works for you. 

Well I am probably in the minority but I on[t have a use for low power magnification. I hae never had a problem getting a deer in the scope but that is all I hunted with after I graduated from teh single iron bead ...lol. I like having the ability to turn up the magnification is the situation allows. My shotgun is topped with a Simmons 2.5x10. I hunt on 2.5 but if given the deer gives me a chance I am turning it up. If I have a deer standing at 75yds I am not shooting on 2.5. your aim point...concentration and your hold is better. If you think you are nice and steady on the low powere turn it up and see...lol. It really lets you see how badly you are moving.

Now most of the areas I hunt I can take a 100 yard shot or better (in some directions) to me low power just isn't as good for those.

Well I am probably in the minority but I on[t have a use for low power magnification. I hae never had a problem getting a deer in the scope but that is all I hunted with after I graduated from teh single iron bead ...lol. I like having the ability to turn up the magnification is the situation allows. My shotgun is topped with a Simmons 2.5x10. I hunt on 2.5 but if given the deer gives me a chance I am turning it up. If I have a deer standing at 75yds I am not shooting on 2.5. your aim point...concentration and your hold is better. If you think you are nice and steady on the low powere turn it up and see...lol. It really lets you see how badly you are moving.

Now most of the areas I hunt I can take a 100 yard shot or better (in some directions) to me low power just isn't as good for those.

I don't hunt with shotgun anymore, but I also have absolutely NO problems finding a deer in the scope.  On my rifle I always have my 3x-9x scope set on 5x or maybe 6x.  Never had a problem having it set this way.  I think one makes a more precise shot with more magnification.  The key to finding a deer at a higher setting is to keep both eyes open when you take aim.  For a right handed shooter like me the open left eye will help line up the deer for my right eye that is looking thru the scope.  Most people close the left eye and have trouble finding a deer in the scope even at a lower power. 

Exactly Steve!!! the key is bringing the scope to you line of sight on a target...not using the scope to aim it at the target. I am very left eye dominant and that doesn't work so well being a right handed shooter but I have learned to cope with practice. My 2.5-10 has my lowest magnification on any of my guns. most are 3x9. on most watches I leave it low and turn it up as conditions allow. One thing to note is hunting style.....I could almost see a low power if you do deer drives alot. I am not a fan of shooting at running deer but lowere powere may be of some use in those close moving situations.

Care to share your experiences a bit and where you went for deer? I have my small game needs covered and I do have a few sports on private land to hunt big and small game but I'd like to try some state land for deer and turkey as well. I appreciate it thanks.

I've taken some of my best deer (slug) & Birds of of state land, you just need to do your homework. Anyhow aside from the 7pnt they were all under 40 yards.

Thanks fellas. My spot is a stand on private land in a swamp and it's pretty thick. But i have opportunities to hunt other spots. I think I'm set on buying the Bushnell 1.75-4x32 http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Banner-1-75-4x32-Shotgun-Riflescope/dp/B0000A0AGP/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1286849540&sr=1-2

I can keep it on low power until I need the higher power. Plus it has 6" of eye relief which is nice with a 12ga shooting 3" slugs.

Hey guys I've been reading about scopes and have decided to spend a bit more than planned and get a nice scope so I don't have to replace it in a few years. I found this Nikon scope that looks like it fits my needs:  http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-SlugHunter-Shotgun-1-65-5x36-Nikoplex/dp/B001RXYBOU/ref=pd_sbs_sg_5

I read good things about Nikon but is it only certain lines of Nikon? If you were going to spend $200 AT MOST for a 12ga shotgun scope, what would you choose and why?

The Vortex Crossfire 1.5-4X32 looks like it fits the bill. 4.5" eye relief and it's $100.

The Redfield 2-7x33 also looks nice at $140 but has 3.7"-4.2" of eye relief. I don't understand when they put an eye relief range.

The Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 is the last I'm considering. $115 and 3.8" eye relief. Is that enough? Shooting a 12ga with 3" slugs.

Both have incredible warranties, Nikon's isn't as good. I'm leaning towards the vortex based on the extended eye relief and it's cheaper. Thoughts? Gunna order in the next few days.

You wont regret the Vortex. I am a firm believer in those scopes. Lifetime warranty, made in the USA, quality glass and easy on the wallet. I have had guys look through my Vortex at the range and copare them to their Leupolds, not one of them was not impressed. They about loose it when I tell them how little I paid for it too. I wish they had an extended eye relief model with a larger objective lens that I could put on my handgun.