Squirrels and rigor mortis

fasteddie

Yesterday am , a squirrel succumbed to some lead poisoning . I had to go to work and it was raining so I was going to get it when I got home . It was still there at suppertime and still raining so I left it there overnight . It was gone this am . Something must have carted it off but I don't know what .

This morning 2 more met their fate at the bird feeder before 8 am . I went out to pick them up around 10 am after having breakfast with friends at a nearby restaurant . They were quite stiff and it made me wonder . On some of the hunting shows the deer aren't recovered for several hours or even the next morning . But ....... the guys on the show always seem to be able to move the heads with ease . Rigor mortis must have set in but the head moves like it was immediately recovered . Do they do something special with the deer on the hunting shows to make this possible ?

Yesterday am , a squirrel succumbed to some lead poisoning . I had to go to work and it was raining so I was going to get it when I got home . It was still there at suppertime and still raining so I left it there overnight . It was gone this am . Something must have carted it off but I don't know what .

This morning 2 more met their fate at the bird feeder before 8 am . I went out to pick them up around 10 am after having breakfast with friends at a nearby restaurant . They were quite stiff and it made me wonder . On some of the hunting shows the deer aren't recovered for several hours or even the next morning . But ....... the guys on the show always seem to be able to move the heads with ease . Rigor mortis must have set in but the head moves like it was immediately recovered . Do they do something special with the deer on the hunting shows to make this possible ?

So now your poaching small game out of season and posting it on a public forum?

I suppose with the proper permissions and or permits, one can poison a grey with lead? But that's assuming it was a grey at all.

But back to the question. I think the temperature has to do with the speed at which it sets in and sets out. In deer, I've seen it set in after 3-4 hrs time. Squirrels, sometimes as fast as 45 minutes.

I am sure they are red squirrels since there is no season on them.

I believe animals are pretty much the same as people. It takes a while for rigor to set in then it breaks down. It's a fact of life, hardness never last

• Like 1

I am sure they are red squirrels since there is no season on them.

I believe animals are pretty much the same as people. It takes a while for rigor to set in then it breaks down. It's a fact of life, hardness never last

Whoa........lol

I can vouch for that !

So now your poaching small game out of season and posting it on a public forum?

Red squirrels are "unprotected" !

In New York State, nearly all species of wildlife are protected. Most species, including endangered species, songbirds, hawks and owls are fully protected and may not be taken. The few unprotected species include porcupine, red squirrel, woodchuck, English sparrow, starling, rock pigeon, and monk parakeet. Unprotected species may be taken at any time without limit. A hunting license is required to hunt unprotected wildlife with a bow or firearm.

Maybe a larger animal takes longer for rigor mortis to set in than a smaller animal ?

How does a squirrel succumb of lead poisoning in June ? Oh I get it....I guess it's time for a different brand of bird seed ?

Brand of ammo...

Edited by mike rossi

Maybe a larger animal takes longer for rigor mortis to set in than a smaller animal ?

How does a squirrel succumb of lead poisoning in June ? Oh I get it....I guess it's time for a different brand of bird seed ?

He needs a different brand of ammo , not bird seed, cause he is shooting lead. Cause its a red he's legal, as he said, but he's cavalier about letting the carcasses get carried off, hopefully its a house cat and it  will die of  plumism in June or at least become sterile or reproductively compromised...

Edited by mike rossi

I have heard they can kill the greys and then they eat the testies, think that is true?

No, I think that's an old wives tale, Paula..

Red squirrels ARE more aggressive than greys and I have seen them chase greys, but grey squirrels are also pretty tough customers and are twice as big as reds.. Greys prefer to avoid the conflict, but in an actual tooth and claw battle with a red squirrel, I suspect the grey would prevail...

As far as the eating the testicle thing..

Squirrels eat NUTS, don't they ..?... <<grin>>....

• Like 1