Hey guys, looking for some advice for a potential food only hunter :P

NYchick

NYchick - farmed deer can be sold because they have to follow USDA regulations etc. Hard for USDA to follow and regulate every hunter an their meat handling practices.

I dont think thats the real reason why its illegal to sell venison, or any other wild game meat in NY and many other states. Its more along the lines of keeping poaching to a lower level and not allowing commercial hunting, which has been the cause of many wild game populations diminishing in the past. Deer were hunted almost to the brink, so were buffalo, etc.

• Like 1

We actually have several deer farms that raise and sell fallow deer to NYC restaurants in this Central NYS area.

I agree with Wooly though we own our own land...Sustaining your self in "red meat" protein by hunting shouldn't be all that difficult...if your not picky...red squirrel isn't the only thing you can hunt year around...wood chucks are herbivores so they have meat relativity similar to deer and can be trapped and hunted year around..I can not imagine many farmers that would say no to you wanting to kill a wood chuck off their lands...

But you may like this link....http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/09/27/1136926/-Hunting-and-Eating-Pigeons-in-New-York-City

I dont think thats the real reason why its illegal to sell venison, or any other wild game meat in NY and many other states. Its more along the lines of keeping poaching to a lower level and not allowing commercial hunting, which has been the cause of many wild game populations diminishing in the past. Deer were hunted almost to the brink, so were buffalo, etc.

I stand corrected.  But FDA still seems to get their hands in there it seems.  This link is for CT.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/rpt/2005-R-0402.htm

Somewhere I read that there are significant numbers of people joining the ranks of hunters because they are getting sold on the health aspects of wild game, and also the belief that they should learn a bit more self-sufficiency regarding their diet. Many of these people are coming from odd places such as the more liberal tree-hugging crowd who have had an epiphany about this world and their proper place in it. I tend to encourage anyone who has had this kind of sudden revelation, but it does them no service to sugar-coat the hunting activity. I am awfully glad that I don't have to feed my family with what I get from hunting season. It makes a good supplement, but as a primary source of protien, it just ain't happening. Also, when looking at dollar per pound, wild game is not what I would call "cheap". If I amortize what I spend on weapons, ammo, hours (if you count your time as worth anything), occasional transportation, accessories, special clothing, and for some people .... camps, land, ATVs, etc., etc., the cost per pound is huge.

So yes, if a person feels a need to get involved in the elements and needs of nature and the way they fit into it all, they are probably looking at it all in a very realistic way. If you are looking at it as a way to build your family budget around and save gobs of money, it seldom works out that way.

I stand corrected.  But FDA still seems to get their hands in there it seems.  This link is for CT.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/rpt/2005-R-0402.htm

Sure they have their hands in the laws, I just meant that the FDA isnt the main reason. Remember the hunters feeding the homeless program consists of serving wild game to the public. Its just not sold to them.

Paula.. Maybe I don't spend enough time here.. I can't imagine why anyone has to make up a story to ask how much game we eat, or anything else.. Why don't they  just be honest and ask !!

I think she may be right. Call it a troll or rabble-rouser, and  it may be without bad intentions - I think he or she is a ghost author who is beating around the bush about possession limits, the concept of sport hunting vs. market hunting, and wanton waste. Good topics, but I think its a crude way to start a discussion, and its not the first time on here. Time to start using real names around here.

Adding to what Doc said, there seems to be a trend or movement of late regarding conservation, self-sufficiency, and food.  Examples of recent trends:

1. Paleo-diet

2. Barefoot running

3. Survival shows such as Man versus Wild, Survivor Man, etc.

4. Disasters prep shows such as Doomsday Preppers.

5. The growing fascination with zombie movies/shows and threat of a zombie apocalypse.

The last one might seem like a joke but in all seriousness, it did cause some people to reflect on their own self-sustainability.  A highly successful banker friend of mine told me once that he regrets his profession since if civilization broke down and money is no longer valued, he couldn't do anything of value.  Not even fix a car.  I think stuff like that is more on peoples minds now than 5 or 10 years ago.

• Like 1

Looks like I'm in the minority.

I think hunting is easy. It doesn't have to be expensive, and you can fill a lot of freezer space in a short time if you're not picky.

Finding and keeping a good place to hunt is the hardest part.

Is it worth it....? I say yes to that too.

I agree with Wooly to a point where I don't think it's easy (at first) but it's fun to feed yourself with what you harvest.  That is why 90% of the red meat my family eats is venison.  We eat it at least once or twice week.  Outdoor Life magazine recently reported that 75% of all antibiotics made go into farm animals.  Years ago I made a decision to have my family eat healthier and we would cut out almost all of the beef in our diet.

Remember like Wooly said, the hardest part is finding a good hunting spot.  Hunting itself is not as easy as it looks on TV.  But with years of time and practice you can become a proficient hunter.  Then it will become easier.

Now if you really want to forage around for your own food, there are an amazing array of edibles that crawl around under rocks and logs. Even a good old ant-hill can supply all kinds of protien, and it doesn't cost you a cent......lol. I can remember how wasteful I was when I ran my trapline and threw all that muskrat, mink, beaver, racoon, possums, skunks, and fox meat away. Yum!!! I could have had months of free meat. :crazy:  Actually, I guess I really do prefer the grocery market.

Tons of other wild edibles as well but in regards to game my suggestion is to hook up with a farmer who has crop damage as a result of large herds. Probably a tough sell as a newbie hunter though since they want critter removal to be swift(ie. no time for a learning curve)

NYchick, I have hunted my whole life so I hunt more than just for meat, but the food aspect of this has become an important part of my life. Sustainability, local foods, and no commercial meats has been important to me for a long while (not part of any fad or movement, though I am glad for the increased awareness).

The ability to supplement with wild game-- especially big game like deer-- depends greatly on the number of tags you can get for your WMU, the deer population where you hunt, how much pressure they get, your skill and knowledge, and luck. As you can see, that's a lot of variables. It's hardly a guarantee. The years that we take no deer, well, we sure do eat less meat. Is it cost effective? I don't know. Price out what local farms have for half or 1/4th a cow (seriously, the best way to buy it in terms of cost) if you can find some pastured/ grass-raised beef. http://www.localharvest.org/ is a good place to start. If you find that buying beef would be less in terms of financial investment, and time invested, you will need to decide if hunting is something you want to do and learn anyhow. If the answer is yes, go for it! See if you can find someone local to mentor you. There is nothing like learning with someone. If I were closer I'd be happy to take you out.

Hi guys & gals; I have been around a long time but am new at this so forgive my mistakes,

" hunting " covers a lot Of ground. there is many more things to Hunt than venison if you care to.

Cook books cover many sources. some are --ROOTS by Diane Morgan;

Eating Alians by Jackson Landers;  Google "eating snakes " . Options are endless.

Look around , read,learn , Enjoy the open spaces. Do it " YOUR WAY"

I just love the woods all aspects of it !!!

suggestion; try Woodchuck ,basted over an open fire

sorry this is so long but there is so much more !                Enjoy       sj