All my youth archery questions.

Hunting3m

Im sorry for asking so much questions, i have nobody to ask for my dad only got into bowhunting with me. I am 14 shooting a diamond razor edge. I have no D loop, i use a release, whisker buiscit, and used to pick up any random arrows from the stores. Im soon getting my bow adjusted to 50 or 55 draw wieght, and a rough guess of 26 draw length. Last season the last day of the hunt, my sight shattered. I use a 3 pin sight for 10 20 and 30 and a peep sight. What is a good sight you would recomend. Also what is a good grain, spine, and brand arrow for my setup. Lastly what do you think on switching to a cheap 40 dollar drop down sight instad of a whisker buscuit. Anything is appreciated.

Edited by Hunting3m

I would go to a bow shop to get measured for the right arrows.....put the $40 towards a new sight and keep the whisker biscuit until you can save up for a quality rest, the rest and sight can always be put on any other bow if you need to upgrade, so no need to buy junk.

• Like 1

Well as a teenager im growing quick both my draw is too low and weight is little i could add more to make for better penetration and faster arrow speeds. Thanks for the advice. Would the bow shop be able to set you up with correct dimension arrows?

Proper form due to pulling the right poundage out weights any benefits you get from added speed through a higher poundage. Not saying you do but if I was getting into a pissing contest in archery, I'm showing off how many arrows I can get in the bullseye and not how much weight I can pull back.

• Like 1

Keep the WB and you can look up what your proper arrow would be by going to any manufaturers web site. I prefer Easton's chart for ease of use. You would need a .500 spine for that set up, brand dosen't matter, and I prefer a heavy set up no matter the poundage, for you I would look 7-9 GPI.

• Like 1

I will repeat some of the things I read above and agree with.

Keep the whisker biscuit.

Get a matching dozen set of arrows that are recommended by your pro shop.  It is all about consistency when shooting and your arrows must match.

Don't over estimate the need for more power.  Your bow will get the job done, but you need to be accurate.  You have a very good bow by the way.  That is the one I bought for my son.  Good luck.

I know how you feel.  I have nobody in my circle of hunters that bow hunts so I am on my own.  I just got my son a Diamond Infinite Edge.  I plan to take my boy over to Jims Archery shop near Port Ontario and get him set-up properly and have a kisser button added on.

I have to add myself to those that are saying to let a qualified guy at a good bow-shop determine your actual draw length and perform other modifications to your bow until you have enough experience to perform those activities yourself. watch what he does and ask questions so you understand the process. Having a draw length that fits your body proportions is probably one of the most important things as far as being properly equipped and is undoubtedly the one thing that most people get wrong. Do not Guess! Draw length is a function of body size and should not be modified to obtain anything other than proper fit.

Read up on proper shooting form (there are jillions of books and articles on the subject). Find a good repeatable and comfortable anchor point. Then head on in to your trusted pro-shop to have your draw length measured using your best form and that anchor point and with any radical changes in draw weight already made (yes draw weight can effect draw length if you are not used to it). The pro should be able to answer any questions relative to arrow spine.

Used a biscuit for many years with no issues. Just went with a fall away and I like it much more. However it's not so much better that I would toss your biscuit. Upgrade as you learn and you realize what you like and don't. I would however recommend the short vaines with the biscuit as the longer ones do take a beating from it.

• Like 1