I'm about to admit...

growalot

Defeat...I just looked at the radar...and there is just little hope of getting into the garden to plant any more seed...I have yet been able to even rotor till up the entire garden...I went out yesterday and ppls yards and gardens look like ponds ... We have been emptying the dehumidifier 2 x's a day...thank heavens we actually don't have a wet basement...the farmers field hit saturation even with his new drain system and there is a small pond and our culvert pipe in the drive is running heavy...you can see the creek running through his oats/clover and there is so many un planted farm fields around...I actually feel for those guys...with all the oats put in every where this year the fungus/soot problems could be very bad....

Edited by growalot

Same here...Lime's on the ground, got the seed and the fertilizer just waiting for the ground dry up enough to plant..

Story of my life..All dressed up and ready to go.

Don't ya just HATE cocking your pistol and then having to let the hammer down ?

• Like 1

This could make the rest of the year very difficult if this continues. Harvesting hay will be real difficult,with the ground so wet, especially to make dry square bales. the old saying  a dry year can scare you to death, a wet year can starve you to death, hopefully won't apply.

• Like 2

Yep and you can't get a break...the power plant went under in places last night the corn I planted...just checked....something went in and dug out the seed...so there is little pink shells all over...hopefully they didn't/won't get it all and what beans came up...the robins are snipping off at ground level....seems to be a seven plaque year...hope they don't throw in the army worms of last year :fie:

So you farmers...I see that the oats that are in are short...... helps with lodging.... but what will all this wet and no sun do to it ? We've had farmers around here loose oats  often due to a fungus or soot? is this the weather that causes it of is it just a soil thing?

(sp)

Edited by growalot

I don't want to say it but I told you so on the post that you were so happy about seeing the sun,that we were going to get rain for the next 3 days..As I said before I planted my big food garden over 2 weeks ago and not a thing came up I think all the seeds rotted. My little food garden that I planted store bought plants in is doing great,Onions are up about a foot, brockley have heads, tommato have flowers,kale is about a foot high and peppers have flowers on them..

Lol .... It's in the timing. I thought I was in big trouble when I couldn't get my roto-tiller running earlier in the season. I watched a whole lot of great planting days go by. So after a lot of hand-wringing and whining, I finally paid a guy to come in and till up the garden while my tiller was being fixed. That same day we raked and planted the whole thing. What a long day that was. Anyway, all this happened long before  the monsoons came, and everything was germinated and up and growing before the 40 days and 40 nights of rain. Everything is now prospering even with the dark dank cool days. While we all sit around risking "jungle rot" from the constant wet, the plants keep getting bigger and bigger.

Incidentally, we are now suffering from a new weed. Wild potatoes are sprouting up all over the garden. Apparently we didn't get all of them last fall, and the roto-tiller chopped them up into nice seed-potato chunks and they are  up about 8-12 inches all over the garden. I also had exactly the same problem with horse radish plants. What we found out was that you can get a lifetime supply of horseradish in just one season. So I decided to till it under last year. All I succeeded in doing was to spread little chunks of it everywhere and each chunk became a new plant. Now I am going after it with concentrated round-up. That seems to be working. But I will never put that stuff in the garden again. If I ever get the urge to plant it again, it will be way far away from the garden and probably way down by the pond.

Ha Ha Doc your not alone,I turned my garden over 3 times before planting the seeds as said before that I think rotted, but the other leafy plants I planted last year just to fill in so weeds would not grow are popping out nice and green.By the way the Skies just opened up Again.Coming straight down and heavy.Who ever is doing it Stop doing the Rain Dance.