Competition Archery question

jjb4900

Archery competitions are about shooting the best score with the equipment limitations of your chosen class.

The crossbow competitor who wins his class is the one that day who has mastered the disciplines and form repetition needed to shoot the highest score. Same as the winner in the LB, Trad, Hunter, MBO and all the other archery classes.

Yes, and I suppose that same line of logic could be used for inclusion of just about any weapon. How about a class for rifles ...... lol. I just find it hard to believe that anyone would try to seriously compare the disciplines and form repetition of archery with that of shooting a crossbow, but I suppose anyone can say anything if they think somebody will buy it. I shot NFAA for years, and don't ever recall anyone even suggesting that crossbows be included. Frankly, I think they had the right idea and knew exactly where the line should logically be drawn.

• Like 1

Archery competitions are about shooting the best score with the equipment limitations of your chosen class.

The crossbow competitor who wins his class is the one that day who has mastered the disciplines and form repetition needed to shoot the highest score. Same as the winner in the LB, Trad, Hunter, MBO and all the other archery classes.

Or the one with the better scope...

Yes, and I suppose that same line of logic could be used for inclusion of just about any weapon. How about a class for rifles ...... lol. I just find it hard to believe that anyone would try to seriously compare the disciplines and form repetition of archery with that of shooting a crossbow, but I suppose anyone can say anything if they think somebody will buy it. I shot NFAA for years, and don't ever recall anyone even suggesting that crossbows be included. Frankly, I think they had the right idea and knew exactly where the line should logically be drawn.

You don't see a class at the IBO for a muzzle loader or rifle or spear or atal.

Why? Because they are not archery.

I find it hard to believe that someone does not believe the winner that day of any shooting sport at a major event would not be the master of that discipline and had put in the time and effort to be skillful.

Or is the implication there is no skill needed to shot and win in a competition other than archery?

You don't see a class at the IBO for a muzzle loader or rifle or spear or atal.

Why? Because they are not archery.

I find it hard to believe that someone does not believe the winner that day of any shooting sport at a major event would not be the master of that discipline and had put in the time and effort to be skillful.

Or is the implication there is no skill needed to shot and win in a competition other than archery?

is shooting a crossbow considered archery? 

There is no implication.  I feel that the person with a cross bow has an advantage due to the ability to dial in a scoped crossbow on a stationary bench while us archers need to shoot 10X the arrows to site in our equipment because we are not perfectly still while doing so.  Crossbows are fine, in their own group and not in with any other groups. 

Or the one with the better scope...

The one with the best scope has trouble beating the average compound shooter on the same range at these tournaments.

I see why they have their own class. Just like Hunter class wants nothing to do with the MBR and I don't attempt to compete in the Senior Hunter Class with my recurve (allowed).

But all you with the irrational fear of a crossbow keep posting. 

Demonstrates just how foolish the original question was regardless of how clever the OP thought he was in asking it.

The one with the best scope has trouble beating the average compound shooter on the same range at these tournaments.

I see why they have their own class. Just like Hunter class wants nothing to do with the MBR and I don't attempt to compete in the Senior Hunter Class with my recurve (allowed).

But all you with the irrational fear of a crossbow keep posting. 

Demonstrates just how foolish the original question was regardless of how clever the OP thought he was in asking it.

sorry you found it to be a foolish question....just figured those who argue crossbows offer no advantage over long bows in a hunting situation would feel the same about them in a competition setting.

Now there is a statement that I would have to have proven to me. I know you have repeated it several times, but it really does defy logic. I have to believe that once you drop down that bipod and get that scope zeroed in, there is no vertical bow that could even come close to that kind of accuracy (assuming that your crossbow didn't come from some toy store .... lol).

• Like 1

sorry you found it to be a foolish question....just figured those who argue crossbows offer no advantage over long bows in a hunting situation would feel the same about them in a competition setting.

Crossbows offer an advantage over my recurve - that is why they have separate classes at archery events.

Compounds over an advantage over my recurve - that is why they have separate classes at archery events.

Crossbows offer advantages over compounds -  that is why they have separate classes at archery events.

Compounds over an advantage over crossbows - that is why they have separate classes at archery events and the scores are higher than the crossbows competing on the same courses.

Muzzleloaders have advantages over all the above and are not allowed at archery events - not even in their own classes. Why? Because they are not archery equipment as determined by at least 2 of the largest archery organizations (determined by participant numbers) in the country.

• Like 1

Now there is a statement that I would have to have proven to me. I know you have repeated it several times, but it really does defy logic. I have to believe that once you drop down that bipod and get that scope zeroed in, there is no vertical bow that could even come close to that kind of accuracy (assuming that your crossbow didn't come from some toy store .... lol).

Check the IBO scores and rules.

Crossbows are shot from a kneeling braced position.

They compete on the same courses as at least one other compound class.

They seldom match the scoring average or top scores of the compound class.

If this isn't "proof" , I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by SteveB

Crossbows offer an advantage over my recurve - that is why they have separate classes at archery events.

Compounds over an advantage over my recurve - that is why they have separate classes at archery events.

Crossbows offer advantages over compounds -  that is why they have separate classes at archery events.

Compounds over an advantage over crossbows - that is why they have separate classes at archery events and the scores are higher than the crossbows competing on the same courses.

Muzzleloaders have advantages over all the above and are not allowed at archery events - not even in their own classes. Why? Because they are not archery equipment as determined by at least 2 of the largest archery organizations (determined by participant numbers) in the country.

of course I started this topic to get people's reaction's and see where it would go.....and if you're a recurve shooter, I tip my hat to you, because my compound offers a tremendous advantage over your recurve. But, I still think a crossbow offers a monumental advantage over both, especially in the hunting field.

of course I started this topic to get people's reaction's and see where it would go.....and if you're a recurve shooter, I tip my hat to you, because my compound offers a tremendous advantage over your recurve. But, I still think a crossbow offers a monumental advantage over both, especially in the hunting field.

AGREED! Thank you haha

It would be "proof" not "prove"....Doc was using proper grammar if that's what you were trying to imply. 

No - misspelling on my part is all. Thanks for pointing it out.

I used the same italics as he did was all.

Edited by SteveB

SteveB If you have never been to an IBO event how do you know that compounds have higher scores than crossbows? 

Shot several IBO triple crowns and the Worlds twice.

And the scores for all events and the rules showing courses and classes are on the IBO website.

and for what it's worth, I would have no problem with traditional archers getting an earlier start than modern archer's........much like I wished they never allowed modern muzzleloaders in the muzzleloader season, a scoped, inline muzzleloader with modern ammo kinda takes away from it if you ask me.

I shoot at Suffolk Archers.  The old timers look at me with distain because I shoot a compound.  They ask when I will give up my training wheels.  I reply with "I want my arrow to go into the target and pass through not bounce off like I see you do against 3D..."  Not to many friend made this way but...  To say that crossbows are frowned upon would be an understatement of the year IMO...

And I agree 100% about the cross bow advantage over both...  I can teach a 14 year old to shoot one effectively in one day.  Not so with a traditional or compound, plain and simple they take much more practice to perfect and be effective.