Cable VS Dish

We have dish network. I like it a lot. Doesnt go out to often unless the winds.get real bad and the rain gets real hard. But even then it only goes out for a min or two and comes back on. Seems like as soon as the rain hits hard it will go out then take a min to fix it self and then its fine. Not a big deal. We also can't get cable at our house. My house sits a half mile off the road and TW wants like 9 grand to run the cable to our house. So that was a no go lol. The phone company that has a line to our house but they don't offer any internet. So smart phones is all we have for internet which kinda sucks but the verizon mifi things are way to expensive for only 10gb of data. Verizon did tell us they are working on getting fios or something like that in our area soon. I've seen their crews working now and then so hopefully we can get that at some point.

But the dish network has been good on its pricing. I think we pay like 60 something a month. Unless we order movies but the price hasn't changed at all. We did have direct tv but we had a lot of problems with their equipment freezing up and last year they lost a lot of channels that we watch so that was the final straw I called them up and cancelled. They tried getting me with a 328 dollar cancellation fee but I told them to stick it I wasn't paying it. They called one time about it after that and haven't heard a word since. That was aboit a year ago. I had some friends do the same thing and they haven't paid it either.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• 5 months later...

i am bumping this up since iam moving up there and i want cable, internet and phone but DO NOT want to spend an arm and a leg for it. what do you guys recommend? does anyone break up their service? like go to one place for cable and another for internet and phone?

i saw some good deals with Direct TV but i have to call in for a price for phone and internet. 

we went to direct tv last spring, the sweetest part of the whole deal is that we got 2 extra receivers

and took those to our place in Pa. and had them put a dish up there.... so now we get the same channels

here and at "camp" .   certainly better than watching the same movies over and over or wrestling ants.

I have DirecTV for cable and Verizon for DSL and phone, but it all gets billed through Verizon. Not bad. We like it. We did have to upgrade to faster dsl/wi-fi speed but even with that and DVR it's not too expensive

Edited by PREDATE

I'm not sure where your going to be exactly located at Geno but if verizon fios is in your area I'd get that. We moved from our old house down into town and got Fios for internet. Very fast! I know fios has something like a triple play package that's phone internet and TV for I think 90 bucks. When my contract with dish network is up I will most likely be going to that plan. But so far the internet has been flawless and even with the mid range speed package for $45 a month it streams movies with no lagging.

Another vote for Fios.  We've had DirecTV and it was ok as long as it didn't rain or snow. Then we'd lose signal, and being in Poughkeepsie, it's not like we're under a canopy or anything. But we had to have different internet and phone providers at the time. That may of changed but I'd be very leary of latency issues of internet service through satellite. 

From DirecTV we went with Optimum online and were very pleased with them until Fios came along and we got the same or better (faster internet) service for quite a bit less money than Optimum.  As for NFL Sunday Ticket, every NFL game is streamed over the internet these days. I watch the Steelers every time they play.

Another option is just to sign up for internet service and use Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, OTA antennae, etc for your TV. That's becoming more and more popular.   

I really like Direct TV, but I have had to have a few long boring and unpleasant calls about pricing. My pricing kept creeping up because they use a variety of discounts that term at different times - talking after the 2 year contract. Its been a pain. I love their service, but I have mid-level programming and I'm still paying more than I think I should for one dvr and two regular receivers. I pay right now more than $80 a month for it alone and no amount of calling, negotiating, etc. will reduce it.

Problem is, I hate TWC cable more than anything else.

i would not even have thought to look into FIOS, it says its in my area up there. im def going to shoot them a call. i hope the prices are pretty good! lol

i dont hear the best things about TWC and was thinking of either direct or dish. im more concerned with tv and internet for now but if i can find a place with a triple play id be happy. otherwise, the wife can worry about the phone lol

just got off the phone with verizon and they do not have FIOS for my block but i can get VErizon. so i have them installing the triple play next week! got my outdoor channels lol

all for under 100 a month, cant beat that... thanks guys!

well this site has a lot of entertainment

I don't have any TV service, I rely solely on my Internet and this website for my entertainment. Saves me a TON it would seem from all the bitching you guys do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i hear ya! thanks for the heads up dude, i wouldnt have even thought to look into verizon

Nice! I need to find a channel list for the verizon TV because I want to get rid of dish even though I haven't had any problems but I'd rather pay less than 100 a month for TV and internet rather than 75 for TV then 45 for internet. Save a couple bucks!

I've heard that fios will be all over eventually. Will take years though. They have to run all new fiber optic cables. I just read a article the other day that the city of albany is on the verge of suing verizon for not getting fios into the city and that they are only not doing it because they don't want to provide it to known lower income areas. Supposedly verizon has contracts with towns like bethlehem(where I am) Colonie and others that I can't remember that have to be filled first as the contract demands service at all homes in the towns. That was verizon rebutle at least. The speed of fios is absolutely the fastest. Blows twc out of the water. And the pricing is so much cheaper too. Personally I dislike verizon a lot mostly due to the high celluar prices but I can't argue the fact that they provide the best cell coverage and speeds for cells and internet.