Cable VS Dish

We'll Culver, These dish compinies are no better than Time Warner. They lock u into a 2 year contract, then sky rocket the price. After 2 years we all pay for these teaser rates, new siqnups get.  One thing to consider, u don't get  the cloud blackouts- rain fade, with wired service.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Did some research on this anticipating the change-over myself. Isn't the satellite internet option very $$, much more than RR? I have a poor SE->SW exposure, so I'm a little hesitant going to Dish. Look at the channel line-ups - Isn't Dish the only one with local stations? Dish & Direct have really great start-up offers, but you really have to look at the price after this initial peroid.

Here's something that will get your blood boiling. Few weeks ago there was an article in the paper about this very subject. TW said they were going to cut back on their "switch back" offers. Also made a statement; TW is losing customers to satelite providers, so they will simply have to make more money on their existing customer  base. WTH!!!

We'll Culver, These dish compinies are no better than Time Warner. They lock u into a 2 year contract, then sky rocket the price. After 2 years we all pay for these teaser rates, new siqnups get.  One thing to consider, u don't get  the cloud blackouts- rain fade, with wired service.

well I know I am not in NY but I have had Direct TV since the 90's & My bill has gone up maybe $10 since

Parents cable went up $100 in less then 2 years. I very rarely get cloud outs, rain fade & don't know what you mean by weird service. we did not even lose our reception up here during the last 2 hurricanes until the power went out

I do know the internet package is not cheap we use DSL

• Like 1

I have Directv, and have maybe one or two times through the whole year when I get any weather related blackouts, and they never last long. My bill has never increased unless I added a receiver or additional channels, and the quality of the signal is head and shoulders above Time Warner's "HD" or digital, and its less money. I have DSL for internet.

• Like 1

I got tired of paying TW $180/mon for internet, phone, and cable. We don't use the home phone much, but wanted to keep our #, so I got Magic Jack phone service for $30/yr. I pulled the plug on cable 18 months ago and have been using a streaming media player (Roku, WDTV Live, etc...) for TV. It streams from all the networks that post their TV shows online, soon after airing, so there's no fee associated with that. We've been able to watch all the usual shows that we did with cable (sadly, not the Outdoor Channel though). Our TW bill went from $180/mon down to ~$60/mon (internet and basic cable).

Edited by Cabin Fever

So, what prevents a person from signing up for cable and taking advantage of the startup offers, and when that period of reduced fees ends and they start cranking up the rates, just switch to another kind of provider, taking advantage of their start-up special offers? And then when those rates start to climb, go back to the original and sign up using whatever special deals they have going at the time. Seems like setting up the proper pattern could keep you always on special bargain rates. Could that be done? 

Doc, I have heard of people doing that. Not sure how they would get out of the dish contract though.

I left TW last year and have been happy with DirectV  and Verizon DSL. The channel line up is somewhat screwy, but it works. I get local channels too.

Don't you need a receiver for each TV with a dish? That's what kept me from going with a dish a couple years ago anyway. The ads made it sound like such a good deal, until they add the monthly fee for each receiver.... I have TV's in 6 rooms.... $$$.

I think the dish providers have contract periods. (from what I have seen in their recent ads)

That's ok as long as the contract periods have the locked-in new subscriber deals on the fees. When that contract period is up, and they try to jack the prices, then its time to change systems and get somebody else's introductory offers. If they have legal contract periods without any requirement that they are ineligible to raise rates during that period, That would be something that would screw up the deal. Also, that is a contract that I would never sign under any circumstances.....lol.

I left TW 1.5 yr ago for the purpose of saving money i am at the point that direct tv has gone up enough that i am not saying money this yr. i still have RR and i am thinking about going back, would have to check price out.  Other than price i have no issues with Direct tv

I have direct TV for TV and have a total of 5 receivers. Only had a few times when you get a black out due to weather for the little dish. Also have hughes.net dish for high speed internet. Not cheap but better than dialup for the computer. They also make a new high speed dish, but we are staying with the cheaper regular dish. 

Don't you need a receiver for each TV with a dish? That's what kept me from going with a dish a couple years ago anyway. The ads made it sound like such a good deal, until they add the monthly fee for each receiver.... I have TV's in 6 rooms.... $$$.

yes you do I pay an extra $10 for each reciever Getting a third one hooked up today & is still way cheaper then cable

So, what prevents a person from signing up for cable and taking advantage of the startup offers, and when that period of reduced fees ends and they start cranking up the rates, just switch to another kind of provider, taking advantage of their start-up special offers? And then when those rates start to climb, go back to the original and sign up using whatever special deals they have going at the time. Seems like setting up the proper pattern could keep you always on special bargain rates. Could that be done? 

I have done this a few times. We have cablevision and when the rate goes up (almost 75%) I tell them I'm leaving for Verizon. My rate is up in July and they just sent me a moving deal that will keep my rate the same for another 2 years. (just sold the house) I'll take advantage of this. 

Why don't I belive the part of "the bill won't increase after that", LOL.

12  years with Directv. yep, their bait is mighty tasty, LOL.

Ive been with them a few times. Currently we are going on 4 years, price is still basically the same with the exception of added channels and receivers. I had to use TW for a couple of years at one house because we couldnt get a shot at any sattelites there. Our bill went up regularly with them. My father has Time Warner, and his bill goes up all the time with no additions to programming or equipment.

What Im trying to say is that there is no large increase after the contract is up.