Woodchucks Again...........

Lawdwaz

Tonight in Arcade, 223ai on a hot summer's night, 3 shots, 3 kills.  (Pretty good pokes, too)

IMG_0086_zps709fbd51.jpg

Only problem is my spot that has been very good for the last 4 years or so is now 100% all corn!  I killed these three on the farmers lane going into the fields.  In a few weeks the corn will be too tall to shoot over so I'll be SOL.  They are all holed up on the edges of the 400 yard long lane, for now.

For you upstate guys that must be some good eating to get ya' through the month; eh?

Those of us with roots in these hills most likely have relatives/ancestors who used to eat most wild game. These were folks who worked their fingers to the bone to support their families. Would they complain? Nope, for they knew that they were eating better than their yuppy brethren down in the horse $**t covered streets of the city.

Sewer rats or woodchuck? I'd choose chuck!

...........and l do, after a long day of hunting. Nothing beats a cold winter woodchuck!

download_zpsbf5d3d79.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like you got yourself some good catfish bait!

Sure will eat better than them rats!

I don't think walleye will eat them unless they float off the bottom and sell for more than 6 bucks a dozen......they have expensive taste!

I've only been out a few times.  i'm up to 8 from earlier in the spring.  we just cut the hay fields last week so the count should go up quick.  last year I ended at a count of 82.  while haying on the tractor at my parent's farm, I noticed some new holes so i'll be out... maybe this evening.  second to last one I took with my actual varmint gun at 308-310 yards.  the last one I took with my dad's old Remington 7600 30-06 at around 160 yards.  Tried for a head shot and that '06 took it's whole head right off!  Little over kill and much prefer my 223.

• 4 months later...

I had a slower year , last year I got 30, this year I got 18, longest was 380 yards , always heard why,coyotes are to blame because they can,lay in taller grass by a chucks hole, wait for em to pop out and slink out in to the field for a snack and bam coyote jumps on em, never seen it or had proof just what IV heard