coyote year round?

No, I haven't heard anything about this. Frankly, it isn't a big issue with me. I really don't think you would see a whole lot of guys flocking out to hunt them. Hell there's hardly anyone hunting them in the season they have now, and there is an added incentive of prime fur prices during that season. I honestly don't think there is a whole lot of interest in coyote hunting, and I seriously doubt that opening the season year around will have any change in the population at all. As for myself, I have no interest in shooting them and leaving them to rot in the woods. It's probably the trapper in me coming out that hates to see any natural resource wasted.

Yes, I realize that there are places in the state where it is theorized that coyotes are having a severe negative impact on the deer population. And I will admit that if we had that condition in my area, I would most likely have a much different attitude.

• Like 1

there's a lot of destructive wildlife out there that impact our game species, my guess is the turkey population takes a big hit from to fox, raccoon, opossum, you name it...but there's hardly an outcry to open year round seasons on them.......I think it would be a tough argument to be allowed to single out the coyotes, especially since deer are far from an endangered species.

Edited by jjb4900

there's a lot of destructive wildlife out there that impact our game species, my guess is the turkey population takes a big hit from to fox, raccoon, opossum, you name it...but there's hardly an outcry to open year round seasons on them.......I think it would be a tough argument to be allowed to single out the coyotes, especially since deer are far from an endangered species.

Obviously. I agree with all that but playing devils advocate for a moment, I have to point out that the demonization of coyotes among deer hunters and turkey hunters is nearly complete. I think there would be an awful lot of support among nearly all hunters if anyone were to suggest that coyotes be targeted for extinction or at the very least a all year hunting season .... lol. I think the arguments have already been made ... to the point where it wouldn't be all that difficult to pass that year around season for coyotes, logic and facts be damned. Ha-ha ... the little guys get a free pass. The foxes, coons, possums, mink, weasels, etc. have not been the subject of the massive hate campaign so the pressure is off them.

Obviously. I agree with all that but playing devils advocate for a moment, I have to point out that the demonization of coyotes among deer hunters and turkey hunters is nearly complete. I think there would be an awful lot of support among nearly all hunters if anyone were to suggest that coyotes be targeted for extinction or at the very least a all year hunting season .... lol. I think the arguments have already been made ... to the point where it wouldn't be all that difficult to pass that year around season for coyotes, logic and facts be damned. Ha-ha ... the little guys get a free pass. The foxes, coons, possums, mink, weasels, etc. have not been the subject of the massive hate campaign so the pressure is off them.

yes, a coyote caught on a trail camera carrying away a fawn has a bigger impact than a raccoon that's never seen eating an entire nest of turkey eggs.

I hope not.

As much as I hunt predators, I would not care to hunt them in the summer heat. I think it would educate them further and therefore hunting them would be even more difficult. Summertime and scent free doesn't work and yotes will be the first to wind a stinky hunter.

As someone mentioned before, they are a furbearing animal. A proposition for a year round season would be met with a sizeable opposition from fur trappers/hunters and NYSTA. Waging a confrontation with fellow PRO hunting people/organizations is pointless. Organizations like NYSTA fight for better hunting/trapping opportunities, like the new bobcat season in the southern tier.

Look at it this way, anti hunters dont want any animals (including yotes) to be hunted so they raise hell about it, that is until their little pet gets consumed out in their backyard! Maybe that will change their tune!.

Yeah, I'm no lover of coyotes, but I do suspect that perhaps the campaign against them has gone a bit beyond reality. I should qualify that by saying, "in our area". I hesitate to make sweeping statements about what may be going on in other parts of the state. I can hear all the irate replies now .... lol.

To me the coyote is simply another furbearer who has a fairly generous hunting season already. My suggestion to those that want to see fewer of them would be to get out there during the current coyote season and actively hunt them .... hard! Then skin the critters, sell the furs, and put the money in your pocket to pay for the gas and ammo. You want to be even more effective, get your trapping certificate and a couple dozen traps and good trapping book and set out a trap-line. By the time you get done, you won't be wanting to see those critters wasted with summertime hunting either.

• Like 1

I hope not.

As much as I hunt predators, I would not care to hunt them in the summer heat. I think it would educate them further and therefore hunting them would be even more difficult. Summertime and scent free doesn't work and yotes will be the first to wind a stinky hunter.

As someone mentioned before, they are a furbearing animal. A proposition for a year round season would be met with a sizeable opposition from fur trappers/hunters and NYSTA. Waging a confrontation with fellow PRO hunting people/organizations is pointless. Organizations like NYSTA fight for better hunting/trapping opportunities, like the new bobcat season in the southern tier.

Look at it this way, anti hunters dont want any animals (including yotes) to be hunted so they raise hell about it, that is until their little pet gets consumed out in their backyard! Maybe that will change their tune!.

I have two dachshunds that I can't educate..I couldn't imagine trying to educate a wild dog.....Lol

I doubt that the state is going to open coyote season year round..

Even if they did, it wouldn't make much difference. The county I hunt in Ontario, Canada has a year round open season and they are still overrun with coyotes.

Opening the season year round would simply be a "feelgood" measure for coyote haters.

By me there is more of a problem with Fox then Yotes.The only time I have seen them is during deer hunting season after some shots have been fired, I guess looking for scraps.The fox are just out and out killers after there young are born, most of my neighbors have or had chickens or that size live stock.Most like to let them free range on there property one neighbor that had a large fenced in area lost 15 chickens in a season to the fox.

Edited by OMG

By me there is more of a problem with Fox then Yotes.The only time I have seen them is during deer hunting season after some shots have been fired, I guess looking for scraps.The fox are just out and out killers after there young are born, most of my neighbors have or had chickens or that size live stock.Most like to let them free range on there property one neighbor that had a large fenced in area lost 15 chickens in a season to the fox.

Here, it's the coyotes that are the problem. I see very few foxes, but I sure see a lot of coyotes. Hell, I had five of them yipping at me, when I was hanging laundry in my back yard. They have basically no fear of humans here, and are more than happy to kill peoples' pets. I find it hard to believe that an animal that is NOT native to New York would not have a detrimental effect on the ecosystem. After all, they didn't migrate here until the 1930's. That clearly makes them a non native species. Any other non native species, we'd be trying to wipe out.

Edited by 13BVET

Wolves are native. Lets bring them back!

We'd find out quick who the yuppys are when they wont walk to their treestands until it's light out! LOL

Brown trout, rainbow trout, and ring-necked pheasants are not native either. 

Here, it's the coyotes that are the problem. I see very few foxes, but I sure see a lot of coyotes. Hell, I had five of them yipping at me, when I was hanging laundry in my back yard. They have basically no fear of humans here, and are more than happy to kill peoples' pets. I find it hard to believe that an animal that is NOT native to New York would not have a detrimental effect on the ecosystem. After all, they didn't migrate here until the 1930's. That clearly makes them a non native species.Any other non native species, we'd be trying to wipe out.

Huh?

I was simply stating that we have many non native species(that we don't try to wipe out).

Wolves and cougars inhabited NY in the past, no? They're known to be more voracious killers, no? Did the native prey species take that big of a hit? No.

Coyotes are native to the mid west. Do people out there wipe them out? No. Could the people out there wipe them out? No.

As for the yuppy, no I wasn't. Didn't you see the universal symbol for laughing? LOL That'd be hilarious, seeing guys waiting for daylight in their vehicles!

I try not to call names, because then people want to start getting cocky with their chests puffed and I have to let the air out of em'.  Sitting in the clink makes for a boring evening.

13BVET- I don't know much about the nuisance permit process, but that could be a route to take if you feel like your self, property or animals are in jeopardy of being harmed.

15-20 years ago I started to wage a war on yotes for killing a family dog(jack russell terrier named Gidget). I hated them, but nowadays I respect them as a formidable adversary. Successfully harvesting a yote is not an easy task. Doing so enhances hunting prowess.

I may sometime rustle some people's jimmies on this topic, but coyote hunting is very much a mainstay in my hunting repertoire. I love it!