Bought the fishing....

Kayak today...a 10ft Olde Towne camo one...never kayaked before so have been sitting in yard practicing proper paddle swings and getting a feel for it...I bought a car carrier ...paddle ....life vest as wellas 4 ratchet straps...forgot mine...getting in is easy....ya I know Not in water...but even on land...getting out will be a problem with my knee right now....I wait for a Monday morning before going down to one of the lakes to pacttice...the life vest will take getting use to...

Nice rig (sit in or on top?) but I would have went with a 12ft because they track straighter/easier than a 10ft. Fishing Kayak's can be tricky cost wise, some places jack the price up just because of it having a few rod holders which can be added aftermarket for cheap.

Did you rent one before buying to make sure you like it? We rented some a couple weeks ago, between that and talking with experienced kayaker's we learned what we did and didn't want, now we just have to buy them. We are going to get three single sit in's, one for my son and one each for the wife and I.

Be careful out there...Two weeks ago a couple of my buddies fished a dude out of the middle of Keuka Lake... He rented a kayak, went out in rough water and swamped it..

Fortunately, he was wearing a life vest.

Thanks for the tips...I had Gander points and the kayak was marked down to 416.00 so it only cost me 100.00..the vest was marked down to 18.98..I like all the zippered pockets and it supports my lower back...but the ore and the car carrier cost 99.00 each...yeppers I will use one of our flotation seats as well as the vest...may spring for an inflatable vest later on when I get use to it....The lakes that I'll be on will be ones like Loon lake and Canadice and the Hemlock inlet...I like the mornings and late afternoons ...that's when the waters are usually like glass...it is a sit in and I chose the 10ft one because I have to use my car and the weight was the best...I'm not getting any younger ya know ... ;)

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/vapor_family/

Kayak today...a 10ft Olde Towne camo one...never kayaked before so have been sitting in yard practicing proper paddle swings and getting a feel for it...I bought a car carrier ...paddle ....life vest as wellas 4 ratchet straps...forgot mine...getting in is easy....ya I know Not in water...but even on land...getting out will be a problem with my knee right now....I wait for a Monday morning before going down to one of the lakes to pacttice...the life vest will take getting use to...

Where are you going to put the deer?

Well I figured that his butt will go just in front of my seat ...front legs will fold under and I'll strap his head and rack to the front rigging....if I can fold up a deer to the 4-wheeler carry rack..I can fold one up in the yak...hahaha...hhhmmm lots of  remote hunting spots off Candice and Hemlock ...now that it's state land..lol

For now...I'll just see if I can land some sunnies or a pickerel or two with out flipping it.. ^_^

My brother bought a 12 ft sit in a couple weeks ago. He's gone out twice on Lake Erie by the small boat harbor. He goes at night actually did catch a walleye the other night. My brother is a fishing addict he could and has fished for 18 hrs straight

I figured those rod holders were just to store the rod while your paddling to where you want to go....I checked out the reach I have with the vest on.... by rigging up the anchor trolley...it came with an anchor....and placing the anchor in the back well....had no problems..but again wasn't in water...the way the cockpit lip is made I will get a hang on rod holder rigged for in front of me...I don't want to void the warranty by "attaching " any thing to it...I thought the warranty was pretty good...I bought a extended one on the ore for 10.00...just incase I brake anything shoving off from shore..They are expensive!.

I fish from a Hobie Mirage Kayak every weekend.  It cost more but I love using the pedals and not needing to paddle.  It is a very stable platform and I've fished it for 7 years without a tipover.  I keep it at Big Bass Lake in the Poconos where my vacation home is.  The fishing is great there, lots of good largemouth.

Here's last weeks big bass.

post-2199-0-49787100-1374849846_thumb.jp

Yes I know ..but I think things have been cleaned up a bit more since they took over...right now the road is closed for local traffic only...they are paving sections around Canadice...we have friends that live across from it ...they have taken some monsters over the years...but live there and can watch movements...The locals get real territorial about their hunting spots.

Lol PWG...try 7x's more expensive...sweet though I can see where you could fish all day and half the night in one of those...nice fish too...I just want something to get me off the hill for a few hours once in a while..and I let my son borrow my paddle boat..that has an electric motor as well...I haven't seen it in two years now... :fie:

Edited by growalot