archery block/ target

Dan92

well guys the time is nearing until the season open and my mind has wandered from fishing right to hunting lol, so i pulled the bow out of the case last week and started shooting a little, but my 5 year old block just couldn't make it another season. so my question is what block or target do you guys use. i want something thats going to stand up nice against broadheads for at least a few seasons, im in a bind between the rinehart rhinoblock or the blackhole archery block. figured id ask for some opinions before making a decision .

I use the bag targets and they work well for target points. But for BH I never found anything that works very well in a block target. I use to have a small pile of sand and that worked the best for broad heads. I put the sand in a large cardboard box. I t was large enough to be safe to shoot at, so no misses and yet just pull the arrow out and just shake off the sand.

There is a cheap Styrofoam target at Walmart that broadheads and serves as a cheap disposable target that lasts a couple years. Form and consistency are worked out using regular field tips on my more expensive butt (the block). I generally have both set up and send a few broadheads down range with each practice session just to make sure everything is still ok with them.

At my archery club we set up a paper target rack in front of a sand pile, works great, we have tree stand set up 25 yds away, you can also shoot from the ground at different distances, great practice. Just have to drive 24 miles each way to get there.

I have an older block target too. Mine was all bear up from broadheads, if your a cheap ass like me, and really don't want to drop $ on a new target right away, take an old ratchet scrap and wrap it around the block target and compress it down with the ratchet. Quick and dirty fix, might get you some more use. I really want a new target too, but making due with what I currently have.

For broadheads , get some of the styrafoam blocks that they discard at Tractor supply and rachet strap 9 of them together . Put an old carpet behind them . When you start getting "shoot throughs" , loosen the straps and replace the bad blocks . Free is good !