stand near lake?

YFKI1983

Ok. so My uncles land has a lake at the far end of the property. On the other side of the lake there is houses, kids running around..the whole 9 yards. On his side is a field which I feel could be promising to bow hunt. I would say the Lake is a couple of hundred yards for his to the other side. Do you think the activity on the other side of the lake would stop deer from going out into the field on his side?? I am going to try to post a pic if I can figure out how

You need some on-the-ground scouting to figure out the patterns of the deer and the reactions to the craziness that may be occurring across the lake. My guess would be that they are accustomed to the hub-bub, but you never know. Up on our hill, there is a lot of intense hiking and mountain biking going on, and it does keep the deer from feeling at ease. If you get too close to the area where all those bike-trails criss-cross, you will find damn few deer that haven't gone (and stayed) nocturnal.

So the best way to figure out how all that ruckus is affecting the herd is to take up a good vantage area with a good pair of binoculars and check it all out first hand. Also, some used of trail cams may be useful in that circumstance too. We can sit here and guess, but I'll bet you can do just as good a job at that than we can. Nothing beats an actual eye-balling of the action .... in person or on cam.

2 things..

1.)the lake will funnel deer around it, they wont  swim unless they had to. once you figure out which way their moving on the property it should help you figure out which way the lake will pinch their trails, giving you stand options. Figure out where they like to bed and what their eating and use where they go around the lake to your advantage.

2.) if you end up setting up a stand basically on the waters edge, you can likely access it by a canoe or small boat, therefore drastically reducing the scent you lay down accessing the stand and minimizing bumping deer on the way to and from the stand. Even if they see you in the boat, they likely dont associate boaters/canoe er's with danger as they see them throughout the year.

• 2 weeks later...