What camera to get

173Abn

I want to get a trail camera. I am not rich.\, under $100 if possible. Everyone I look at in this range has as many con as pros. is there one out there that seems to be ok in all areas, with not of a lot of returns to the factory.

I don't think I'll ever buy a sub-$100 cam again. Even in areas of high theft. Mediocre performance doesn't get what you need reliably.

My best suggestion is the Covert MPE5 or MP6, or the Spypoint G4. These would be the "lowest" level cams I would ever consider buying/using.

All basic consumer level game cams will have a high return rate. Nobody makes a cheap camera well. Why? Because it's cheap.

• Like 2

WGI cams are more of a gamble than I'd like for my money. Sometimes you get a good one. All cams can certainly go bad.

The problem is, I've owned more than 10 WGIs. Guess how many had to be warrantied? Darn near every single one of them.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

Man, don't be taking any advice from me on camera selection. Right now I have one dead Bushnell out of two, one dying Primos. A Moultrie that never did work right and a cheapo Tasco that barely takes pictures that even look like a deer. I have never seen a line of products that are as  unreliable as trail cams. The only one that looked like it might have wound up making it for a few seasons was the Cuddeback that I had stolen last year. Do I sound a bit disgusted? Well that's only because I am. I recently bought a Covert, and the jury is out on that one. Chances are very good that as each one continues to crap out, they will not be replaced and I will soon be out of the trail-cam purchasing routine.

Doc, why don't you try to build your own? For the cost of about a mid-level cost trail cam you can build an IP web based trail cam that emails you pictures or that you can control from your computer. The cost would run around $250 for the parts and around $30/month for data plan. I've slowly been working on gathering my parts to build one and hoping to be putting one together during the next off season.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5772777_build-camera-live-video-stream.html

Doc, which Bushnell do you have that died on you?  I have a 2010 Bushnell Trophy Cam - plain old brown one which works great and still on the same set of lithium ion batteries for over 1 year. Wondering if maybe an update on Bushnell's website may help get it working again. 

How long do you guys have cameras before they give you problems?

This is my 2nd year ever using cams, but I have never had issues with them not working. Yes, the quality sometimes isn't the best, but they always work.  All 3 of them cams were under $100.  2 WGI cams, one is a 2mp and was $60 and the other is a 6mp and was like $90. The third cam I just got is the primos truth cam35 for $100 and it works great with the 3 shot burst, its like flipping through a picture book.  I run my cams from July through November only.

I am far from being an authority on trailcams.

I can just share my limited experience...

A year ago I bought a Covert ( I think it's an MP6) on advice from a couple members of this forum... It takes good pictures and LOTS of them on a set of batteries..Batteries seem to last forever..

Along with the bearproof box it cost me less than $200...I think that without the bear box it was around $150. So far it has been a good investment.

• Like 1

anyone who has a Cover or Spypoint, can you see a noticeble difference in battery life vs WGI, Moultri, Primos (all of which are hit and miss with battery life) ? 

Spypoint battery life is middle of the pack. Not bad, not great. Most of their cams only take 6 batteries. They are decent performing cams - they do most things good, not great. I've owned quite a few, their CS is OK...not the easiest to work with, but with some pushback they will replace items as need be.

Covert, as noted, I am an avid supporter of. They have proven to me in the past 24 mos. to be the best balance between price, performance, and CS. If they can continue to pump out the products while maintaining the service/performance...they're going to be a larger player as time goes on. Growing pains are usually a good thing, and I believe they'll do just fine as they garner more of the market share. I've owned more than 100 cams in the sub-Reconyx price range and it's the first time I've been able to match my expectations with a company and its game cameras.

I got 13k photos on an MP6 Black with one set of batteries that cost $1.90 after tax. Hardly anything to complain about with that cost per pic.

post-575-0-80640100-1376579235_thumb.jpg

Edited by phade

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't too impressed with the WGI I had.  I have a cheap Tasco that came from walmart, it's ok but only snaps one at a time and it's got a slow trigger.  I end up running it on video all the time and it's ok then.  I have two of the Primos DPS time lapse cams waiting for me to get home and try out so I'll let you know what I think after a week or two.  Natchez Shooter's Supply had them for $35 if you bought two.  Fo that price it was worth a try.

• 3 weeks later...

Phade I see others on this sight asking you to guide others for trail cam advise.  I have a Cuddeback Attack IR that only takes pics when something is within 15-20 feet of it and right on front of it.  I am looking to get another cam and would love some direction for quality night time pics without breaking the bank.  Any assistance you can give would be greatly appreciated.  BTW I had 2 WGI and both took great pics but never made it through 1 set of batteries.  LOL

I don't think I'll ever buy a sub-$100 cam again. Even in areas of high theft. Mediocre performance doesn't get what you need reliably.

My best suggestion is the Covert MPE5 or MP6, or the Spypoint G4. These would be the "lowest" level cams I would ever consider buying/using.

All basic consumer level game cams will have a high return rate. Nobody makes a cheap camera well. Why? Because it's cheap.

covert is the way to go with spypoint in 2nd place. both my coverts take almost perfect pics. spypoints i have owned for 13 and 14 months. warrenty is a year on spypoint and as of right now they wont do anything. I started talking to cs mid august. covert prices are good. if you check around or go to wingsupply.com you will see spending a little more will get you more of a cam. I will never buy another primos or stealthcam. they are a waste of money in my book.

Phade I see others on this sight asking you to guide others for trail cam advise. I have a Cuddeback Attack IR that only takes pics when something is within 15-20 feet of it and right on front of it. I am looking to get another cam and would love some direction for quality night time pics without breaking the bank. Any assistance you can give would be greatly appreciated. BTW I had 2 WGI and both took great pics but never made it through 1 set of batteries. LOL

If you want to "light up the night" there is no better cam at doing that than the Covert Red 40. The Black 60 is their black flash equivolent. It in my opinion is a better choice for hunters because of the black flash, but black flash by its nature is slightly less bright and slightly more motion blur at night. Having said that, I own 8 or 9 of the Black 60s and only 1 Red 40 because its a better option for me. If you only do photos, buy a 2012 model new from custom1enterprises website for 140. Its a steal.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Primos Truth Cam 35 that is trash (as well as 3 others I ordered for a friend) but amazingly after 3 months of not working, i tried it the other day and it began working again. For how long? Probably not long at all. Save your money and don't buy Primos. Terrible customer service too.

Now I have a Covert MP6 which is nice and I have no complaints so far except for the occasional bleached out pics certain times of the day.

I just bought a Moultrie M-990i which should arrive today and I'm excited to try it out as it gets amazing reviews.

I just got a Moultrie M100...have not tried it out yet.  Anyone have experience with those?  I have seen some good pics from them, some bad.  I want a good one, but not so good that someone will steal it.

Decent cam. Battery life is so-so because the viewer screen sucks juice.

Flash is bright.