Shotgun Poll

What's your opinion on the 887 nitro mag ? Can get it in a 26 or 28 inch barrel. It can take up to 3.5 shell. On sale at dicks for 369. That's 30 bucks less than the 535 combo. I'm going tomorrow so I have to make up my mind !!

this gun sounded like the gun for me. all the right specs and features on paper. The gun however is horribly reviewed on almost every sight i've looked at. I don't remember the specifics or if it's just that the 870 was so good people couldn't adopt the change but like Danny said I think there are better guns.

I'd look for a used Browning A-5 in 12 or 20 gauge.  A lot of them were plugged to limit to 3 rounds for Federal migrating bird restrictions.  I have seen some between $400 and $500 (field models, not the fancy gold tiggers or Ducks Unlimited versions).

Easy to swap-out barrels or remove barrel to clean it.  Easier to put barrel back on the A-5 than when re-attaching barrel on a double-barrel.

If you go that route, look for Belgium or USA made ones.  Avoid the Japanese made barrels on the latest models before they were retired in the 80's.

Over course if you are looking for a camo stock and barrel, you have to look elsewhere.  Don't see the point of a camo gun.  We never had problems getting ducks, geese, deer, or rabbits in my family with hardwood stocks and blued barrels on our shotguns and rifles.

I own 2 brownings. A side by side and my semi 12 gauge. Both are phenomenal build, but they aren't cheap and the barrels due to their quality are expensive. For his price, i'd try to find a good used deal or go with an 870 or a 5 or 8 series mossberg.

Get the Mossberg 835 with the standard 28" barrel and screw in chokes. I have one in camo/synthetic and it has taken Ducks, Geese, Turkey and even Deer with buckshot for many years. It can, and will, do it all for you for many years.

• 3 weeks later...

I already have the 12 gauge Mossberg 500 with a cheap red dot sight on it. Shooting rifled slugs out of the personal defense barrel (18.5 inch smooth bore open choke) send the slug flying every where but straight. Not sure if it's the barrel or if it knocks my sight out of whack. I've been tinkering with the idea of buying a rifled barrel for it with a dedicated sight/scope or a 20 gauge barrel for my Harrington & Richardson Handi-Rifle. I will admit that shooting 12 gauge slugs kicks the snot out of me and rattles my brains. What do you guys think?

Edited by Elmo

Use a lead sled while testing and sighting in for the 12 ga. It will generally provide more range more power and repeat shots faster and can be just as or just about as accurate the H&R. I believe there are more different types of ammo available for it also, especially more in the  line of velocity and the recoil spectrum. . I also think that shots on game are not noticed like they are from the bench. There are definitely more reloading consumables made for it.

Throw in an extra $50 and you can get a Benelli Nova. I have the mossberg 535 combo you mentioned and it feels like a cheap plastic toy compared to the Benelli (I own a Nova also). As for the Stoger I have never had any experience with their guns and I hear it is a hit or miss. It will not last you as long as the Mossberg.

Of the two guns you mentioned I would go with the Mossberg 535. 10 year warranty, all the chokes you will ever need, and a proven performer. You cannot go wrong, but there is better out there.

Throw in an extra $50 and you can get a Benelli Nova. I have the mossberg 535 combo you mentioned and it feels like a cheap plastic toy compared to the Benelli (I own a Nova also).

the 535 is  a cheap gun. it's marketed that way. it's still a great gun, but that's why they make the 835. agreed benelli's are great bird guns.