Struck out on opening day squirrel

First time out for me today.  Hunted from 2:30 till 6:30.  Struck out as well.  Heard a few but couldn't see them through the thick leaves.  What gives?  Same time last year, I shot one and another would pop out in a different tree.  It was like that carnival game where you kept hitting the alligator with the mallet.  Not this year.  Nothing.  What do you suppose is the reason?

Squirrels have been known to migrate. There are historical accounts of several massive squirrel migrations as a result of food source failures. What they are describing are huge migrations, where large numbers of squirrels just picked up and moved long distances. Apparently, these massive migrations are an extremely rare event, but it does show that they are not really comp[lately residential in nature. It would not surprise me if mini-migrations don't occur on a regular basis as a result of food sources. So it is very possible that you might find jillions of them one year and hardly any the next.

My neighbor a couple houses down the street feeds the squirrels. And they are the size of groundhogs. At times I've counted 20 of the little bastards out eating his feed. I call them little bastards because they started eating holes in my house and running through the attic. One winter I decided to take as many as I could but I didn't want the Police knocking on my door. So I setup to shoot out the bathroom and basement windows. I found as long as I kept the Sheridan pump inside the house it was almost silent outside. I shot a dozen of them that winter and it didn't make a dent in their population. Then in the spring I had competition for the squirrels. One morning I noticed a hawk in the back yard and I wouldn't of beleived he could lift them, dam if he couldn't. Then a bald eagle started hanging out. Needless to say we only had a few squirrels left by summer. Today their numbers are growing and now I have a nice new Air Ranger to handle that task.

• Like 1

Wife's B-day on opening day, plus she may have broken a toe, so couldn't get out opening weekend at all. 

Went out on the 8th for 4-5 hours.  Didn't see any squirrels, but did find acorns.  Heard a squirrel off in a swampy area, but wasn't wearing water-proof boots to check it out.  The crows were even staying out of range.  Last year we had squirrels all over the yard, haven't noticed any in the past couple of months.

Hope to check out another area this weekend if I can get out.

Good luck out there everyone.

• 2 weeks later...