Now that I got a black bear on camera . . .

Deerthug

I was thinking of making a slow honey burn container as a scent or attractant to lure it in like this guy did . . .

I know you can't use bait or dogs to hunt black bear in NY but you can use and carry up to 1.5 oz of bear lure/attractant. If you use 1.5 oz of honey and heat it up, would that be considered baiting? Any thoughts?

Thanks. 

It is legal. I used it in Canada and took a bear. She cam into it rather than the bait. I just used a soup cam and a propane torch. once you heat it up it begins to boil and foam. keep the heat right on the can and burn it to a sticky black mess. You would not believe how sicky sweet it smells. No need to keep the heat on it all the time. Try to get it in an area that is visible and will get a gentle breeze to it to carry the scent down wind.

I thought so just making sure.  But as far as a "group" what if there are two mature bears strolling along together, can you or cannot shoot shoot one? How many is considered to be a group? 

(Sorry for the questions - never thought I'd be hunting for bear in my area)

Edited by Deerthug

I thought so just making sure.  But as far as a "group" what if there are two mature bears strolling along together, can you or cannot shoot shoot one? How many is considered to be a group? 

I cut and pasted that from the hunting regulations on DEC's website...I didn't find anything more specific. I don't think you'll come across two mature boars together, any group is pretty much going to be a sow and cubs...........and unless I'm mistaken, cubs stay with the sow for up two years, so at that point they may not look like "cubs" anymore

Edited by jjb4900