1 pic...now what?

crappyice

Checked a buddy's camera this weekend and found a beautiful 10 pointer(sorry i don't have the pic to post). He came through the night after he set the camera, three weeks ago(we have had the cameras up since June with other deer and some decent bucks). After that one picture, the 10 never showed again or appeared on the other camera set not too far away. My buddy's all jacked up that he will kill that deer...I am thinking, "he gone! And he was just passing through"

Maybe you will never see him again.  Maybe during the rut.  I run a couple of cameras over some small woodland plots and unlike the guys on TV I am not getting repeated pics of big bucks.  plenty of does and turkeys then in late august some smaller bucks show up on cam eating in the plots and then the sightings ramp up in end of October.  I have had several times single pics of bucks, nice 8s  one pic and done. 

Still lots of fun and definitely keeps you in the stand longer knowing the chance that the bigboy may be just down the trail.. 

Could be a case of camera shyness. Also depending on the set-up, it may have been a one-time occurrence that he showed up in that exact spot. They don't spend their lives walking in their same tracks everyday. But as was already mentioned, it does show that he lives in the area, and another encounter during season is always a possibility.

The camera and the intrusion could simply have been picked up by the buck and he's shifted his range slightly or taken a different trail.

He could be bedded a  1/2 mile a way and that area is part of his circuit. Or, he could have simply moved his core area...lots of reasons.

Getting one pic of a buck at night isn't all that exciting imo.

its a deer... a wild animal... the tree that camera hangs on is one tree, one tree in a patch of woods with how many trees?? a deer doesn't always or have pass that exact tree. is it likely that the deer will pass that tree more then once in one months time? YES.... is it likely that the deer could pass behind it, 60 yards in front of it or 60 yards behind it? YES so unless if its a spot a deer literally HAS to pass every time going to or from an area whos to say that deer will pass the same tree twice unless there's something there bringing him to it like a food plot or something. 

just because you dont see him, does not mean hes not there and even if he is there, when the rut comes does not mean he will stick around... wish him luck killing him.

To add insult to injury a couple of years ago I went up a couple of days early prior to the gun opener in the southern zone with my recurve bow to sit a while.  Saw nothing so I figured let me leave early before it gets too dark as I didn't want to bump the woods prior to opening day... 

Next day when I checked my camera which was 50 yards from my stand I had a nice 8 (about 90 to 100 inches) entering the food plot where the camera was on the same trail that lead right past my tree stand only 7 minutes after I had left.   UGGGGGG that one I wont ever forget.  Oh and  by the way got skunked  that  gun season now shooter bucks only does and small spike.