where have all the deer gone?

G-Man

I have friends at work that hunt and complain they don't see deer like they use too. When I ask where they hunt they tell me the same place they have for last 20 years. My next question usually results in puzzled looks. What have you done to the property to help them? The answer is sometimes food plots, usually its nothing. DOES ANYONE REALISE THAT WOODS MATURE??? The brushy draw they once hunted is now 10In diameter trees?? All habitat is not created equal, if your not seeing deer in the area your in don't blame three DEC look at how the habitat has changed! Food plots won't help if the deer need to come thru open woods for a mile. They might come but it will be at night. If you can see 2oo yards. How far do you think a deer can see.?? Maybe if they are pushed/driven. But before blaming someone (dec, neighbor, tresspassers,coyotes, demorcats, republicans, ect) look at your habitat!!: deer are a factor of what a habitat can hold. just something to think about while your sitting in your stand asking yourself where have all the deer gone...

• Like 2

I have friends at work that hunt and complain they don't see deer like they use too. When I ask where they hunt they tell me the same place they have for last 20 years. My next question usually results in puzzled looks. What have you done to the property to help them? The answer is sometimes food plots, usually its nothing. DOES ANYONE REALISE THAT WOODS MATURE??? The brushy draw they once hunted is now 10In diameter trees?? All habitat is not created equal, if your not seeing deer in the area your in don't blame three DEC look at how the habitat has changed! Food plots won't help if the deer need to come thru open woods for a mile. They might come but it will be at night. If you can see 2oo yards. How far do you think a deer can see.?? Maybe if they are pushed/driven. But before blaming someone (dec, neighbor, tresspassers,coyotes, demorcats, republicans, ect) look at your habitat!!: deer are a factor of what a habitat can hold. just something to think about while your sitting in your stand asking yourself where have all the deer gone...

you're exactly right, that's why I always thought it would help if the State was allowed to log off some of it's mature woods...........but, the odds of that happening are pretty slim.

With all of the financial problems our state has, I have always wondered why they have not implemented a selective logging program for state land. Can you imagine how much money is really there..

The state will give you a significant break on property taxes to put a good forestry plan in place on your property, but they don't do it themselves..

Makes no sense!

• Like 1

I know some wildlife management areas do clear cutting, hanging bog, cranberry hollow in allegany county.. they have quite a few deer as well... hmmm...Lol state land in general way to many politics involved I guess.. and lack of fund for foresters in state as well

you're exactly right, that's why I always thought it would help if the State was allowed to log off some of it's mature woods...........but, the odds of that happening are pretty slim.

IDK where you are, but they're logging off Summerhill State Forrest right now.  They have been for a couple years now.  I was up there scouting today and saw some signs to that effect.  I'll try to go up tomorrow after work and take pics of the signs.

Great topic Gman. Hunting my dads property when I was younger there were a lot of deer then it started to decline to the point where a few yrs ago I was tracking hours in the stand vs deer sightings. I contacted the DEC and they came out and walked the land and came up with management plan. If we completed the whole thing we could get paid. So we did it. The forested sectioned off the property and started marking tree's to cut. We did most of the work in the winter when we had the free time. We finished with in the time frame and got some money in the process. We also cleared about an acre for a food plot. The deer sightings have since dramatically increased and the trail cam is loaded with pic's every weekend from the food plot. We have also been planting desired tree's each spring!! Trying to manage your land is for very gratifying and well worth it. I always say doing something is better than doing nothing!

In reply to people saying there is no logging on state land.

My best friend and hunting partner owns a logging company/ tree removal business and does lots of logging on state land. He told me about the process which I was interested in how this happens. He said something about a bidding process where they take in offers and then contract it out. I'm specifically referring to the area near truxton / DeRuyter

I have hunted for over 20 years plus, and it appears that the deer populations or siighting have fallen. Then I started to change from my old spots to different area's and moved alot of my stands to natural funnels and my sightings have skyrocketed. I also have noticed alot of my stands are closer to people/house's then they where 15 years ago. I used to be able to sit in the middle of a nice wood lot and see lots of deer, now I sit in alot of funnels or smaller area's near people and see more deer. There is also more house's now that have a few acres attached to them that has small little brush lots on them, that people can't hunt. Also back 15-20 years ago, we would do a whole mile square deer drive from one road to the next as everyone knew everyone and was ok with it, now you are lucky to find a couple acres to do a deer drive. So there is less area that people can hunt to move them around. The deer find a small little safe area and tend to stay.